Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

more DRD screenshots (same as ZDoom and DRD forums)

The project is still kicking, if that's what you wanted to ask. I don't know when it will be finished, I suppose it'll be the same day when it's done.
Although the screenies were taken in GZDoom's OpenGL mode, the project is going to be supported by ZDoom v 2.0.63A;
Screnshots are a bit sterile, showing mostly some sector and lightning work. Everything will look different when monsters come in...

More detailed info on the project will be found at my not yet ready project's page on DRDteam.org
Stay tooned!

Well, it's a project started long ago (somewhere in the middle of 2004); aiming mostly for detail and design with good gameplay, (DRD of course stands for Doom: RefreshDaemon); while working on this project I made friends with Paul (NMN), and so our little team was founded.

The project itself is for Ultimate ZDoom.

kristus said:

I thought that was Rone.

ROne came shortly after, with DRD being postponed many times. ROne project required few additional people, so the DRD team grew.
ROne has gone silent for a few months now, so I thought it would be a good time to finish up DRD (still there's much to do, but also a lot to see already), and cut the ellmo-not-releasing-maps stereotype ^^

You can expect a lot from Refresh Daemon. It'll consist of 9-10 maps, with more than 500kb for the smallest maps in this instalment, and more than 1MB each for large (read: detailed) maps like E1M2 and E1M3...

I hope I answered your questions Kristus, may I now count on some feedback?

Didn't know it was a tradeoff, but ok.

The maps look very classic doom style. A bit low contrast on the light for my tastes. But it's generally ok stuff. Composition could be done better. Some things looks cut off a bit too hastilly and the colors seem a bit haphazardly arranged to me (For example: A red trim in one of the shots, but that's the only red part of the structure to be seen there, it breaks up the scene).

I like the idea you have with the streched skin textures behind the glass panels. But I am not as crazy about the texture misalignments in the shots. It's generally considered "bad form" to not atleast check the textures in the screenshots you take. ;)

I am a big fan of hazard textures, but the ones you used in the shot are a bit dull as they have no shiftings in colors other than the black and yellow stripe. Wold also be better if they aligned better between the wall and floor seams (yes, I realize that it's a bit difficult in the scene showed here as the lines are diagonal. But it's not impossible).

Hope any of that helps.

kristus said:

Didn't know it was a tradeoff, but ok.

Well, ROne will be finished smoe beautiful day. DRD is my private project, though I stated NMN and I worked on it. NMN was a bteatester and beginning graphic designer back then. All the maps were (and will be done) by me only.

About the review: Thanks. It will be helpful.
I was also thinking on aligning the yellow-black textures, but also changing them to something more realistic, dirty and such is a good idea. It shouldn't be too hard.

About the red trim - if you're reffering to the second screenshot - you're right it looks like shit over there. Well, most of this screen looks like shit. It will be heavily redetailed when I finish the part I'm doing now.

I like the idea you have with the streched skin textures behind the glass panels. But I am not as crazy about the texture misalignments in the shots. It's generally considered "bad form" to not atleast check the textures in the screenshots you take. ;)

1. There are no "stretched skind textures" anywhere, so I'm not sure what are you looking at.
2. I also don't see any misalignments.

kristus said:

In this shot, I may be mistaken about the texture. (...)However there's misalignments (...)

OH THAT SHOT!
Well yeah, they are... I'm ashamed.
But it's warping slime texture, not skin.

Guess who's back... Back again (oh gnoes!).

The map is about 95% done. It'll only require some monster/item placement and one not large location before it's fully playable. It has already been revamped, so the black-and-yellow hazard stripes Kristus loves now look much better - and not only this.