Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Slade - It's an Update

SlayeR has released version 1.11 of his map editor SLADE. This version fixes and adds several things, plus it now loads thing and line flag data from files instead of being hard-coded. The editor also loads faster as well.

It should comiple on linux just fine with some minor changes. I can't at the moment because windows overwrote the grub bootloader so I cant get to my ubuntu instalation.

slade is looking great!! i cant say that id totaly switch over from DB yet
but its tempting :)

the only thing id say slade needs is some more UI functionality, like DB has

or perhapes im missing something?

ya stuff like that, also how am i supposed to assign linedef and sector funtions in slade, havent seen any dialog boxes for it yet.

these kinds of functions should be easy to find and straight forward :) i shouldnt have to go looking for them when i start it up for the first time. what if i was a n00b starting mapping for the first time, how would i find any of these things?.

in DB right clicking the linedef or sector brings up this dialog box. and that was pretty easy to figure out the first time :)

And pressing enter isn't? I always considered that more logical than right click :P Especially since there are context menus, which are pretty much always brought up by right clicking.

SlayeR said:

And pressing enter isn't? I always considered that more logical than right click :P Especially since there are context menus, which are pretty much always brought up by right clicking.

It is necessary to add "Properties" item in context menus and to display shortcut there

lol :) my bad, i guess i didnt look hard enough. iv been using DB for so long im just so used to it

Fredrik said:

Could you make it so zooming targets the cursor?

I would if I knew how :P I've tried it a couple of times but I could never get it to work right. There used to be a shortcut key to center the view on the pointer but it's disappeared for some reason :P I'll add it back for the next version though.

SlayeR said:

IMO, no. Rightly or wrongly: GUI interfaces, as a principle, require that the user should have to take their mouse hand off the mouse as little as possible and to move their other hand as little as possible.

Windows users, by far the biggest in terms of numbers when talking about DOOM, are used to right-click (or left-click if you're a southpaw :) ) to mean "give me a list of the things can I do to this object".

Any UI that is less intuitive/familiar that the current "best" UI will be regarded as inferior because intuition and familiarity (with current practices) is a vital aspect of GUI interfacing.

Quite frankly, it would have been a good move for SLADE's popularity if by default it exactly copied DB's default interfaces in the same way that, say, most DOOM source ports use the original DOOM key assignments unless the user changes them.

I for one won't start replacing DB with SLADE until I absolutely have to or until SLADE incorporates some set of features that are way above what DB offers. Although I have no personal antipathy to SlayeR, right now SLADE just doesn't give me enough (over and above what DB gives me right now) to be worth the hassle of learning yet another UI.

It is enter because that is the key SLADE has always used for edit item (I based most of my controls off DEU/DETH originally, not DB). As I've said before I could always create a 'Doom Builder' input configuration for SLADE. But I certainly wouldn't make it default. In the next version the context menus have a 'properties' option, which makes more sense than having right click automatically edit an item.

I for one won't start replacing DB with SLADE until I absolutely have to or until SLADE incorporates some set of features that are way above what DB offers. Although I have no personal antipathy to SlayeR, right now SLADE just doesn't give me enough (over and above what DB gives me right now) to be worth the hassle of learning yet another UI.

I personally can't go back to DB now, I miss my rectangle drawing and texture painting in 3d mode :P But yeah there are a few important DB features I still need to implement in SLADE...

All that aside, my aim has never been to get people to switch away from DB, nor really to 'compete' with it (although I'm sure some would say it is). At the end of the day it's just something I'm creating for myself, with the things I want to see in an editor.

SlayeR said:

...I could always create a 'Doom Builder' input configuration for SLADE.

That would be nice; certainly make things easier on die-hard DBers.

SlayeR said:

miss my rectangle drawing... in 3d mode

Hmm, didn't know about that, have to take a look. If you mean the ability to draw new sectors in 3D mode, then yes that is something that DB sorely needs.

SlayeR said:

...my aim has never been to get people to switch away from DB

Sure, though such a switch is probably inevitable; SLADE should by all rights replace DB in the long term because it is being actively developed and is written in a portable language. Eventually I will make the switch because, sadly, DB is a dead-end. At least CodeImp showed the way for a freeware, powerful, true-GUI DOOM level editor and deserves credit for that; but these days, portability and maintainability is everything.

SlayeR said:

texture painting in 3d mode

Yes. It's very handy feature. As well as possibility to change floor's and ceiling's height simultaneously.

Martin Howe said:

Hmm, didn't know about that, have to take a look. If you mean the ability to draw new sectors in 3D mode, then yes that is something that DB sorely needs.

Nope that's something that I'm not sure is possible. I meant rectangle drawing in 2d mode (shift+space), and 'texture painting in 3d mode'.

It would be possible, but it would mean a lot of work.
But on another note, even the old 3D Construction Kit has 3D world creation ;)

I fail to see how creation of everything in 3D would have any beneficial use. It'd probably be a pain in the ass to work with, and probably actually slower than just making it in 2D and then texturing it in 3D.

Good work on SLADE as usual, Slayer`. Just keeps getting better. :)

This program is awesome, it only gets better. But I do have a couple questions, first how can I copy sector properties in 3D mode? Could not find it in the input tab. And is there a way to test the wad through Slade?

zap610 said:

This program is awesome, it only gets better. But I do have a couple questions, first how can I copy sector properties in 3D mode? Could not find it in the input tab. And is there a way to test the wad through Slade?

Neither of them are implemented at the moment. They are on the to-do list though ;)

AgentSpork said:

I fail to see how creation of everything in 3D would have any beneficial use. It'd probably be a pain in the ass to work with, and probably actually slower than just making it in 2D and then texturing it in 3D.

Then, i asume, you have never worked with any 3D CAD software before.
Its a lot easier making something in 3D than in 2D. Get yourself, for example, Inventor (ACAD "successor") and try it out, you will be suprised.

AgentSpork said:

Good work on SLADE as usual, Slayer`. Just keeps getting better. :)

I can only second that.
@Slayer:
Could you try a sector edit and create in 3D just to see if it is useable?
And, as long as your linux dosnt work, what would someone have to do to 'make' you programm?

SlayeR said:

It is enter because that is the key SLADE has always used for edit item (I based most of my controls off DEU/DETH originally, not DB).

I guess that's why [enter] seems most logical to me too. DeePsea does both, but I always use [enter]. If it had been a right click in SLADE, I'd have been searching for [enter] in the same way as Xtife was for his right click. I thought most editors used [enter]? I guess these comments are a testament to the rapid growth and success of DB which is, after all, a pretty new kid on the block.

Enjay said:

I guess that's why [enter] seems most logical to me too. DeePsea does both, but I always use [enter]. If it had been a right click in SLADE, I'd have been searching for [enter] in the same way as Xtife was for his right click. I thought most editors used [enter]? I guess these comments are a testament to the rapid growth and success of DB which is, after all, a pretty new kid on the block.

this is true :) i cant even make a line, let alone a sector yet

ill have to look at the keymapping in slade