Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shotgunmasacre2

help with AV.exe

Umm...Av has this exe that has some of the otherparts to the game loaded with it. So, how do I get the program to work. I tried to drag AV on top of the exe, like I do with zdoom, but the program doesnt execute. What do I do, despite the fact that this is an old program and probably pointless.

It's Doom2 v1.9 with the DeHackEd patch applied and additional changes to the par times. Unless you're using DOS or Windows 9x/ME it's not going to work well. If you use any engine that supports DeHackEd with the patch (AV.DEH) you get the same deal (except those par times.)

And to make it work you have to do it through a command prompt, shortcut or batch from a directory containing DOOM2.WAD:

AV -FILE AV.WAD

(Older engines don't accept drag and drop for PWADs, and that's possible only with the newer ones like recent versions of ZDoom, PrBoom, etc.)

myk said:

Older engines don't accept drag and drop for PWADs, and that's possible only with the newer ones like recent versions of ZDoom, PrBoom, etc.

It's not such a new port feature. It was introduced in Boom 2.02, back in October 1998. It exists in all direct descendents of Boom 2.02, and any others that have added the feature (Eternity has added it relatively recently; it was in Zdoom 1.22, and probably earlier versions).

Grazza said:
It was introduced in Boom 2.02, back in October 1998.

Heh, you're right. And one wouldn't have thought it available on a predominantly DOS based engine... but if I'm not mistaken, it's a relatively simple addition; that you can load wads without the -file parameter.

shotgunmasacre2 said:
You talk a lot about this -file parameter.

I admittedly have a -file parameter fetish.

I am wondering, can I load these files using a the command prompt console?

Correct; I mentioned that in my post above.