Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ezxariarch

What new monsters would you add?

Doom has a lot of cool monsters, and we all love them as doom fans. But if you were gonna make a Doom game, what monsters would you add?

These can be existing monsters from wads such as MRM, Skulltag, etc. Or just things you made up.

-Personally, I would add a monster called the "Phantom", which is invisable (but distorts Background) initially and only becaomes visable during attack. It can also only be hurt when attacking or is alrady in pain. (Like the Nightmare in my mod).

I know it´s nothing original, but I´d love to see the Shambler and the Zombie from Quake in Doom.
There's Qdoom, but the model rips look quite bad IMO!

I love creating new monsters. The ones I like best are the Prime Cacodemon, the Cyberdemon Lord and the Prime Bull Demon.

The Prime Cacodemon is extremely fast and agile which makes it very hard to hit. It also has 2000 hp and a very low pain chance. Fighting this demon requires superior fighting skill.
The Cyberdemon Lord is perhaps not the most original, but it has two rocket launchers instead of one. I made the graphics myself, though they do need a little polishing.
The Prime Bull Demon is a Bull Demon with wings. It flies, it's tough as Hell and doesn't budge from firepower. I've taken the wings from Rebirth's new Baron of Hell.

Aside from those I've created a whole slew of other new demons through decorate.lmp and mspaint.

I have a super cyberdemon sprite set that I "made" years ago (two cyber arms, and two cyberlegs, the parts are "fused" using the magic of PSP's browser), if you're interested let me know.

And as a new monster, I know they aren't original, but..

-Motherdemon reinterpreted in classic DOOM style
-The demons from The Lost Episodes of DOOM cover art, or from the Ultimate DOOM poster
-Walking version of the Icon of Sin (not as big, probably as big as the cyber, or a little bigger).
-A four legged monster like a bull, may be capable of spiting fire like a dragon, and a very strong melee attack.
-Super shotgun zombie (like the one from Skulltag but more polished).
-A new spider boss, with a somewhat white skin, or may be the colour of the Archvile, diferent design in the legs, and harder to kill than the cyberdemon. Or may be the spiderdemon from that DOOM 3 scketch (probably with some minor addaptions to fit in the classic DOOM theme, but still untached it'd fit well I think), that monster kick ass.
-A cacodemon boss (stronger than the nonbosses but weaker than the spidermastermind).
-Nightmare imp (but more elaborated instead of a simple recolouration, something like that of Impyimp.wad, check it out if you never tried it).
-Another caco variant that charge as a Lost Soul (with stronger attack). The bug caused when you shot a Lost Soul in mid air should have to be fixed for this.
-Kronos from the DOOM RPG (I never played this, but I'd like to be able to play all the DOOM monsters in classic DOOM).
-The Guardian from DOOM 3 (with proper adaptions both in behavior and look).

Vader said:

I know it´s nothing original, but I´d love to see the Shambler and the Zombie from Quake in Doom.
There's Qdoom, but the model rips look quite bad IMO!

Sorry for double post. Any chance you could finish your Shambler like DOOM monster? May be for KDIZD?

Propably not, sorry!
I´m not too statisfied with the design anymore, but I´ll definitely going to make a new concept for my next project,
this time closer to the original shambler!

Edit:
I already have a hand drawn concept for it... maybe i´ll get a chance to scan it and post it here!

I'd have a character who's like WildWeasel's Stranger (Son of Baphomet and banished from Hell for betrayal, signature weapons are a black revolver, a white revolver and throwing knives) and make the player fight him. It'd make for an intresting fight.

I've always wondered this. Here's a few idea's of mine.

Sniper Zombie - Zombie with a sniper rifle
Demon Riders - Imps that ride Demons
Uzi Zombie - Gangster style zombie with duel uzis.
Imp Assassin - A dark imp with a sword and a crossbow
Lord of Hell - A dark green baron of hell with red fireballs.
Doom Lord - A dark blue baron of hell with dark spells. Like the Heresiach from Hexen
Jetpack zombie - Shotgun Zombie on a jetpack
Kamakarzie Marine - Title says it's job

I'll post other idea's later

Archvile with an alternative fire attack and some fire clawing attack. The alternative fire attack spawns the fire like normal and starts damaging the target immediately, but then the ending explosion is weaker or no ending explosion at all. This alternative fire attack could also lift the target into air and keep the target in air making it have a hard time to move away from the sight of the vile.

Then the archvile could have another alternative fire attack. It does the magical dance and hits the ground and a circle of fire is spawned around the vile. The circle moves further and damages everything it hits. This would be useful if the archvile was surrounded by enemies.

The archvile could also turn himself into a fire elemental. While he's a fire elemental, it will be impossible to harm it with ordinary weapons. If you get too close to the fire elemental, you'll get damaged from the heat.

Hmmm... someone should make an archvile mod :)

Last I checked I liked all of the Skulltag monster variants.

Other stuff could include:

* Berserker: Berserk zombie that runs as fast and punches as hard as a Revenant, but is easy to kill like Troopers and Sergeants.
* Wraith: I've never played Doom 3, but liked this concept. My implementation from the description I've read would be similar to the imp in behavior and appearance, but with an ability to "jump" similarly to Hexen's Dark Bishop, but without the sliding echo images.
* Assassin: Something like my original conception of the spectre from when I read a magazine article before having played the game. This guy would have partial invisibility, humanoid shape (perhaps the Imp shape), run at the same speed as the fastest original monsters, hit with a strong melee attack (comparable to Revenant fist) and no ranged attacks, and if possible, AI that prefers to strike the player from behind.
* Parasite: Something like Parasite from Quake 2, but restyled to look more like a Doom monster.
* Heavy Revenant: Someone once posted a picture that combined the Revenant with a suit of Wolf3D armor. I'd like something similar, but likely with a somewhat different armor design. Attack would be similar to the Revenant, with the possible addition of a shotgun or chaingun.
* Nemesis: A possessed marine that acts similarly the "clone boss" in some games. He does not pick up items, but can use any player weapon that was placed on the level (probably weakened from the player versions, like the other zombies have). He would navigate and fight using an AI similar to deathmatch bots.

I would add the baroness of hell. I want to come up with a better name, but thats pretty much what she is, a female baron. she'd have a body more like an archvile with goat legs. her attacks would be a scatter plasma shot, almost like a plasma shotgun, for long range, and a concussive blast field, for when you get too close, that would toss you like an archvile attack.

I would also make a berserker, like draconio. I would make it as tough as a demon with little pain chance. I thought about maybe making his passive state look like a normal shotgun guy and then he'll hulk up when he's alerted to your presence. I also thought about doing zombie scientists. they would not be very fast and only have melee attack.

I always thought it'd be cool to have some kind of water or sludge monster that only lived in the watery areas (similar to the one enemy in hexen but a totally different look more doom like.) Maybe throw some kind of cybernetics on it, give it some spikes some nast teeth make it bloated add some tenticals and stuff like that. I haven't quite nailed an image on what it would look like but that's my basic thoughts. I think it'd be cool if it whipped out tenticals or a tongue and kind of pulled the player towards the sludge and hurts the player at the same time. Basically trying to force him into the sludge to die. Would be a pain in the ass if he was in a pit that was hard to get out of. His tentacles would use ball sprites so they could stretch as far as they need.

Anyway this idea may suck , so be honest.

A Dragon boss, a huge Dragon similar to the Doom Dragon(Golden Sun : the Lost Age)but without the other 2 heads, it could cast terrifying spells and shoot different Fire-themed attacks, and it could be able to ressurect and spawn forces of hell.

Don't really know what could be innovative, fun and 'doomish' at the same time, but I'll go with those who want a sprite version of Baphomet (not that single-framed thingy cruising in the archives or in Zen Dynamics. It's cool, only.. not enough ;) but a walking monstrosity).

I recall too, while playing Doom64, there were some mummified demons on some pillars and supports, posed a'la Exhumed's Bast Warriors. If they could go live from their statue state and be a very fast, melee and going-invisible for a short period opponents (possible with Decorate to code) that would be certainly an awesome and hard opponent.

Tormentor's TNT3 had the hell warrior (hell noble with a shield) that worked excellent as a doomy opponent. I can't wait till Vader finishes his new version of that enemy!

any particular type of souped-up Cacodemon is something I have though about for a very long time, and with Absolution TC, Those green Cacos from coopbuildm and Zaero...I'm glad to see I was not the only one.

What'd be cool is if you took the Giant Wall Demon and made it a full sprite of a giant head and gave it some kind of big boney praying mantis limbs and a spine for it to scurry about. The only reason why I say limbs is because in the ending text it says about its limbs thrashing. The spine would be like a tail. The thing could move about summoning monsters at a whim while it attacks you with its claws. There'd be a ledge to go up on to shoot it in the brain though but the ledge would have pieces that drop down at certain intervals so you can't just camp out there all the time pumping rockets into the thing. It'd be invulnerable to anything but rockets, so the only monster that could fight it would be a cyber demon or a revenant, and they'd have to hit it in the brain besides.

Maybe the monsters could resurrect the thing after the Doom 2 Battle and give it cybernetic legs or other appendages. Anyway just a thought. I have sculpted a cacodemon like monster with 3 eyes out of sculpy if anyone is really interested in having a new cacodemon monster.

I'll dig out some of the ideas I had from a previous thread of the same theme:

Azathoth: My idea for a sprite-type Baphomet. Put a Baphomet-type head atop a body that's wiry yet tightly-muscled (kind of like an Arch-Vile), with numerous cybernetic enhancements - perhaps even an entirely mechanical pelvis and legs. Its defining feature would be a set of giant mechanical wings, made from rusted steel girders and gears and covered in feathers made of sharp, jagged, rusty shards of metal. It would be taller than the Cyberdemon (especially with the wings), but with about as much endurance as a Spiderdemon. Its primary attack would be launching waves of its feathers for moderate damage per projectile, while it could swipe with its claws as a melee attack for high damage. It can also summon Boss Cubes with some regularity (using an animation similar to that of an Arch-Vile attack), and maybe could have some sort of fire projectile attack used only rarely.

Hellfire King: A Cyberdemon without the Cyber. I always liked thinking of the Cyberdemon as an enhanced version of a demon lord ranking above the Barons, who chose to sacrifice its magical abilities for higher physical and attack power. So, picture an un-cybered Cyberdemon with powerful magic attacks (maybe similar to those of the Maulotaur) with the ability to use its claws (and possibly its hooves) for melee attacks. However, it would have less physical endurance than a Cyberdemon, probably around 2400HP worth.

Shoggoth: An obscenely bizarre mantis-demon. Its body is like a big, hunched-over preying mantis made of black chitin, with numerous legs. Its head is that of a wolf, but instead of two regular eyes it has a half-dozen insectoid compound eyes scattered randomly across the ocular plane; its jaw also opens extremely wide to reveal large, venom-dripping mandibles. Its claws are the strangest part: on one side it has two medium-sized claws, but on the other it has one giant crab-like slasher claw, with two nearly-vestigial "gripper" arms underneath it. It spits gobs of venom from its mouth for moderate damage and slashes with its big claw for massive melee damage, has about the same size and endurance as a Mancubus, and scurries around very quickly.

Golgorchid: A hellish flower made entirely of rotting meat, pulsing organs and filthy claws. It's a stationary monster, but throws spore pods that explode into poison gas like Hexen's flechettes. If you get too close, the flower itself will gnash and bite at you for moderate damage. It would have low endurance (less than that of a Revenant), but would appear in small groups or along with other monsters to make its spore-throwing a real liability.

Dentati: The upper body of a large, four-armed demon, but "bit off" just above the pelvis. It scurries around like a spider on its arms, dragging its bloody spine and entrails along behind it. Its face is totally blank and featureless, except for a big vertical sucking gash for a mouth. It spits corrosive blood from its mouth at a distance, and at melee range lashes you with its tail like a scorpion. It could either be large (same width as a Spiderdemon but close to the ground) or small, and the larger version has the ability to smash the ground to make "earthquakes" (e.g. a hitscan attack).

I think the Motherdemon could translate over to Doom well if done right, and I'd love to see some of Skulltag's variants in the game. I also like the idea of the Berserker mentioned earlier.

VileSlay, maybe your "baroness" could be called the Jezebel?

Ubik said:

VileSlay, maybe your "baroness" could be called the Jezebel?

I was actually thinking recently of calling her succubus or hell-whore. jezebel is a good name, butmaybe a lil' too human sounding. thanks though.

I would add the most vile demon of all:

HERESIARCH!

Ok some might say "uhuh halflife's boss is the hardest of all" or shit like that...well try kill heresiarch as warrior on titan mode!
Well im working on it, in my recent save hes got 25% hitpoints left...problem is that he made somthing like 5 clones of himself?! plus the acolytes...about 20-30 of em. Imagine yourself throwing some archviles in...together with cyberdemon and korax yarrharr!!

I have allways wanted to fuse doom together with hexen, hexen has the best universe of all, and doom has some very nice foes that would fit perfectly into hexen!

So put heresiarch into doom...
And put archvile into hexen =)

devoid said:

...heresiarch ....made somthing like 5 clones of himself?!

Too much alcohol.

devoid said:

well try kill heresiarch as warrior on titan mode! Well im working on it, in my recent save hes got 25% hitpoints left...problem is that he made somthing like 5 clones of himself?! plus the acolytes...about 20-30 of em.

Are you playing the Korax Heritage mod? The Heresiarch doesn't clone himself in normal Hexen.

devoid said:

So put heresiarch into doom...
And put archvile into hexen =)

I think that both have already been done. Archvile in Hexen can be seen here. He doesn't seem as fearsome as in Doom though, maybe because Hexen's weapons seem to be more damaging. It might be cool to have a Hexen creature with the resurrect ability though.

A monster that isn't just a recolored exsisting monster.

*cough* Agent Spork *cough*

A zombified pimp would be fun... It could summon some undead prostitutes who give you AIDs and herpes....
It can also hit you over the head with a cane.

Vegeta said:

Too much alcohol.

Really try playing with koraxmod, he clones!

ITS SICK!

But you can tell who the real heresiarch is because of the damageskins

Vader said:

Propably not, sorry!
I´m not too statisfied with the design anymore, but I´ll definitely going to make a new concept for my next project,
this time closer to the original shambler!

I still can remember that you posted a small preview in the "Monster Resource WAD" thread over at ZDoom.org... I liked how it looked :) Sad that you are not going to finish that sooner or later.

KingofFlames said:

Also I'd like to see Tormentor's spiders from TNT3 done in DECORATE without the cheap DeHacked rips.

1st what DeHackEd rips? It just uses the Maulotaur behaviour
2nd wait for the UTNT ;)

I was also thinkin of lil' baby barons that would move really fast and only use melee attacks. maybe the baroness I'm makin could spawn them or they could hatch out of cocoons or something.

mmm... a mechwarrior-zombie!

the idea will be like the "robocop 2" evil mech style... piloted from a enemy dead body (e. g. a imp corpse will pilot this thing...), damn what a sick idea LOL