Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Hard drive ground zero

Imagine if the unthinkable happens and your hard drive is wiped clean. It's probably happened to some people on the forum.

After re-installing all those essential programs, what would be the first Doom utils and pwads you'd (re)download? Say the first 10.

Mine would be (in order):

Utils: ZDoom, WADED, WADCAT, NWT (stuck in my ways), WHACKED and DoomBuilder (I'd try to learn to get with the times).

Pwads: My own (not out of vanity - would just miss them on my hard-drive), 10Sector, Scythe (my faves), Memento Mori II (currently playing through).

Let me know yours, just as a bit of fun.

XWE, DeHackEd, DETH (though maybe I'd take advantage of the situation to start trying Slade, which seems promising), and then probably wads someone recorded demos for recently, or wads for the next "old stuff" newstuff.

But if my HHD died and left me without a backup of my wad-in-progress, I'd probably simply smash the rest of the computer with a sledge hammer!

GZDoom, EDGE, XWE, Cool Edit (couldn't survive with anything else), Equinox, Tvr!, Requiem, icd-se, ww-stranger, and Scythe2.

Prboom-plus, the main Compet-n pwads (HR, AV, Requiem, MM, MM2), and those pwads currently most popular for recording or with ongoing projects (KS, S2, TVR!, Extremal) and er, oh, that's already 10. I suppose WadAuthor, XWE, Eternity, Chocolate Doom, Prboom 2.02, Dehacked, STRAIN, Hacx and glbsp would follow soon.

Although actually what I would do is restore everything from the mirror of my Doom stuff (c. 13 gigabytes currently) that I maintain on my laptop. But I suppose the question implies "and all your back-ups somehow got wiped out too". That would probably mean that the whole house burned down, which would mean that my copies of the Doom games would be gone too, not to mention some other problems it would cause.

Once upon a time... ;) ...one of my hard-disks failed! :P Fortunately enough I lost just a scarce amount of my Doom stuff and I was lucky, because I just lost my very first work, but not the work in progress! ;) So now I always backup my work in progress, to be safe! ;)
However if it would happen again (but I hope that it never happens again!), I would download:
-ZDoom (the last version, of course!);
-WadAuthor;
-Zennode and BSP node builders;
-XWE;
-tutorial pages I download from here and there;
-all the resource .WADs I would use for my projects;
-my previous .WADs from my site (this is a good idea to backup own files!);
-the best .WADs I reviewd on my site.

It's happened to me 3 times. I have all my .zips and .exes in a folder called 'Doom Stuff'. I zip this folder up and dump it onto a CD. All I have to do then is re-install the game and unzip the stuff folder into the Doom directory and put all my editors and stuff back in.

Actually I hadn't, but I left it off the list because I don't consider it such a high priority. Post edited to clarify that.

I have a DVD-RAM with an exact copy of my current doom directory, so I would just copy that over.

jdoom, zdoom, chocolate doom, gzdoom, prboom-plus, deutex, dehacked, xwe, downgrade/upgrade patches for ultimate and doom2

Greetings
Funduke

im lazy, so instead of digging for my doom game cd (yeah iv'e reburned all iwads i got on one cd for quick installation) I just snag freedoom :)