Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Spadger

Finally done with my first map, come try it out.

A few notes before downloading:

It's Doom 2, Map01. (Surprise...)
It's not for DM. At all. Trust me.
There's only 11 monsters, but i think it's it's hard enough for you. ;)
This level IS based on the Doom Builder tutorial by John W. Anderson, but i've added lots more than just 4 rooms and a couple of doors, i think it's a really playable level in this state.
Come with feedback of whats good and whats bad. I want to learn from this.
Suggestions on how to change the music are welcome, i'm tired of the Map01 music by now.
It's called "waagh" because that was the most frequent noise heard when making this. I've never been good at names anyway.

Download: [Removed, new version below]

Gl, hf, bbqsauce.

Excellent for a beginner!

There are a couple of areas that could use improvement, however. There was at least one missing texture (on the rising staircase at the end) and some areas could have used better texture alignment (the marble stairs were this way). The archvile at the end was a PITA because there wasn't anywhere you could really hide from him, and if you back down the staircase you can't hit him but he can blow you up.

All in all though this is a damn good first map.

Not bad tough im not sure which areas you added, cause I didn't see the tutorial version.
You can get stuck in this map if you don't pick up that blue key and teleport out.
That cyber pit was stupid let him teleport in, you can kill him easily this way.

The map was an walk in the park not hard at all :)

Dr.Zin: Thanks! :D

Alignment: I know i had some trouble with this, i didn't really expect to need anything more than hitting the "AutoAlign" button.
Archvile: Well, i wanted to have a little final surprise for the player, and i didn't want to include another Baron, i was first thinking of a Mancubus along with a Cacodemon, but they would end up shooting eachother and leaving the caco possible to shoot through the window.

EDIT: Dutch Devil:

Well, when you take the blue key, you have to go through the cyberdemon to get out, that's by design. I know that the pit wasn't such a good idea now that i think of it, but i thought that teleporting in was something that required coding. (Which i can't do.)

EDIT2:

HEH! I just realised that to get the highest amount of monsters, you should play on HNTR instead of UV. On UV two of the three demons in the second room are removed. Silly me.

Yes or don't pick up the key yet and kill the cyber when he is defenseless and can't do anything cause he is stuck inside that tiny pit.
When you pick up that blue key you can easily aviod him and teleport out of there, so your not really forced to kill him he doesn't stand in your way that much.
But I gave him hell with my plasmagun :)

Make an dummy sector somewhere in your map for the cyber and maybe add another cyber on uv in that arena part.
If you need any help I can do it for you and send the map to you.
Needs more cannon fodder too I found the map rather empty, but its looking rather good for an first map.

dutch devil said:

Make an dummy sector somewhere in your map for the cyber and maybe add another cyber on uv in that arena part.

Dummy sector? Never heard of that.

Besides, i'm done with this map, i'm already thinking out a layout for my new map. Still saving this on my harddrive though.

Da Spadger said:

Dummy sector? Never heard of that.

He's referring to putting the cyberdemon in a hidden sector with a door or something that opens up after you pick up the blue keycard. The cyberdemon can then enter a teleport and move to the spot you want. The key is to wake up the cyberdemon before you get to it (via merging sectors or sound tunnels), that way he is walking around and can cross the teleport line when it is opened.

By the way, your blue door would not open for me.

Good map, though there are some things I would work on:

Texture alignment and choice was just ok. At least you didnt blind me by painting red and blue everywhere.

Fights are too easy. All of them. I took a glancing hit from the baron because I was stupid, but other than that I'm pretty sure I didnt take any damage.

Felt a bit like a tech demo of the map format. While this is quite alright in your first map (and is better than seeing a few rooms with just doors), try to put more real gameplay in there.

I had fun luring all the monsters up to the Cyberdemon to that teleporter, and then go through right behind them. Telefragging a Baron of Hell sure saves a lot of ammo.

EarthQuake: Eh? The door should behave like a normal door once you have the blue key.

HobbsTiger: Harder and funnier, got it.

On another note, i've decided to make a map for Heretic, but Doom Builder keeps crashing when i try to change textures, what's going on here? >____<

Nice map Spadger, I got there on the 4th try :p (Hey! I've only had doom for 2 weeks).

Looking foward to the next one...

Da Spadger said:

Still saving this on my harddrive though.

Good don't throw it away, its nice to play your very first maps again no matter how they look.
Maybe when your more skilled in the future and look back on your first maps, it feels good how much you have learned since then.
And maybe give the map an complete make over when you learned more stuff.

Da Spadger said:

HobbsTiger: Harder and funnier, got it.

On another note, i've decided to make a map for Heretic, but Doom Builder keeps crashing when i try to change textures, what's going on here? >____<

Yeah, every wad needs cheap lols...

Oh and DB 1.67 doesnt really like Heretic no matter what you do to it. Either get 1.66 or use SLADE.

Da Spadger said:

Hobbs is correct in that 1.67 really doesn't like Heretic, but it is possible to use it: you have to go into the preferences menu and change the texture and flat defaults to ones out of Heretic (for example, grstnpb). The problem is that 3d mode seems to be non-functional (for me, it crashes DB) and you have to change the defaults every time after you edit for Doom or another game, so you'd probably be better off getting 1.66 or SLADE like Hobbs said.

I've always wanted to map for Heretic as well.....I might learn to use SLADE for Heretic...

O good map by the way

Might want to mention that this map doesn't run in a good portion of doom ports. :) ZDoom 1.22 and Eternity both threw it back up.

In my experience, it's a good idea to simply map for classic Doom at first, so you get used to the limits of the engine, then move on to ZDoom editing if you REALLY NEED it. Limitations breed creativity.

This wad is actually pretty good for a first attempt. The level is pretty solid and there isn't hordes and hordes of monsters in a big room like I see in mos beginner maps.

There are a new things you can fix though. Some of the door-sectors have a different floor textures from the floors around it. You also forgot to put LOWER UNPPEGGED for the door's side "doortrak" textures, resulting in it sliding up and down (unless you wanted that). The raised floors at the middle of the cyberdemon pit have non-matching lower textures. There is a HOM on the first step of the exit stairs. A lot of lower textures and upper textures are missing their respective UPPER or LOWER UNPEGGED flag. A bit too much ammo at the cyberdemon pit. Cut them in half and it should be good. ^_^

A good start map. Keep up the good work. Better than most of the doom2 levels, IMO.

Ezxariarch said:

This wad is actually pretty good for a first attempt. The level is pretty solid and there isn't hordes and hordes of monsters in a big room like I see in mos beginner maps.

A good start map. Keep up the good work. Better than most of the doom2 levels, IMO.

Thanks. :)

Ezxariarch said:

There are a new things you can fix though. Some of the door-sectors have a different floor textures from the floors around it. You also forgot to put LOWER UNPPEGGED for the door's side "doortrak" textures, resulting in it sliding up and down (unless you wanted that).

Hmm, the tutorial never mentioned anything about that the lower unpegged flag could fix that. Good to know.

About the floor textures, a simple miss, i'll double check that in the future. :)

Ezxariarch said:

The raised floors at the middle of the cyberdemon pit have non-matching lower textures. There is a HOM on the first step of the exit stairs. A lot of lower textures and upper textures are missing their respective UPPER or LOWER UNPEGGED flag. A bit too much ammo at the cyberdemon pit. Cut them in half and it should be good. ^_^

Noted, thanks. ^____^

Lower unpegging isnt a requirement for doortracks or anything, but its held in general agreement that it looks better.

EDIT: I didnt catch the truth about limitations breeding creativity the first time. Absolutely no nonsense there. The ability to THINK, really think, about how to do interesting things and recognizing when something cant be done, but the map is still great anyway is a wonderful and rare trait. Less limitations cause less of this thinking.

Nmn said:

No, it is sense.

I kinda agree with both Graf and the other guys. On some occassions, limitations does force the mapper to think of innovative ways to do things. However, a uncreative person will always be uncreative no matter how limited or how many features you give him/her.

Ok guys, i have done a lot of work on this version, mainly graphical, but i've made some changes by the items too. (And an easteregg, kind of.)
I have:

-Fixed ALL the missing textures. Promise.
- Aligned tons of textures, not only in the arena, but in most of the level.
- Changed a few objects, like adding another monster somewhere and replacing the archvile with a more forgiving monster.
- Added an window out to a big outdoor area in the second room. (the one with the SSG) Make sure to watch the automap when you've watched out the window.
(I know someone will yell at me over msn for this. ^__^)
- Made it impossible to kill the cyberdemon without releasing it, without IDCLIP that is.
- A small change at the exit, mainly graphical. :)
- Set the lower unpegged flag on all the doortracks, making Ezxariarch happy in the process. :P

And now... Screenshots!

http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/7505/doom00003bx.png
http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/9590/doom00012zc.png
http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/4108/doom00027js.png
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9070/doom00033zq.png
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/404/doom00049xc.png
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9881/doom00059fr.png <-- :(
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/6020/doom00068ep.png
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/5366/doom00077ku.png

Download: http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload7/waagh.rar

Da Spadger said:

Works fine here, i'll try to find another uploader though, gimme a minute or thirty.

Ah, alright; it Just keeps giving me a 404 =/

Da Spadger said:
- Added an window out to a big outdoor area in the second room. (the one with the SSG) Make sure to watch the automap when you've watched out the window.
(I know someone will yell at me over msn for this. ^__^)

YEAH! I'm in a map!!!