Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Psyonisis

New, innovative computer game! (Spore)

heh, about time they make an updated version of SimEarth/SimLife. I've been clamoring about this same basic idea for a while. Who knows how well it turns out in practice, though.

I saw a video about this game a year ago. That was when I discovered Will Wright knows WAY too much about Care Bears. Love the Spore concept, though.

That is pretty cool, but you'll get some guy going around your solar system and destroying the planet you worked so hard on.

Maxis actually making something besides The Sims expansion packs? Did EA decide to stop raping them for a while?

I have to say, I never really "got" sim games. All this setting up stuff and making changes and then just watching the consequences evolve... well I think I'd rather watch paint dry.

The fact I know people who would do things like set up all the parameters for their city/species/nation/theme park/whatever and then go off to work, leaving their computer running, only to come back and find the computer had made a great job of playing the game in their absence and that they were now "masters" of a fantastically successful city(etc) kind of puts a question mark over the whole genre for me.

Enjay said:

I have to say, I never really "got" sim games. All this setting up stuff and making changes and then just watching the consequences evolve... well I think I'd rather watch paint dry.

The fact I know people who would do things like set up all the parameters for their city/species/nation/theme park/whatever and then go off to work, leaving their computer running, only to come back and find the computer had made a great job of playing the game in their absence and that they were now "masters" of a fantastically successful city(etc) kind of puts a question mark over the whole genre for me.

Eh, I guess some people prefer their games competitive. I don't think a simulator that you can just walk away for 12 years is a particularly good one. In most of them if a design doesn't work in 5 minutes, it's not going to work in 24 hours. I think I like the simulator genre because there's so many possibilities for design. Also, watching the video for this it isn't a staightforward simulator, but also a strategy game.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for my FPS Combat Simulator. Various projects have gotten so close at times-- but disposed of intruiging concepts to up the run-and-gun factor. There's a HL2 mod in development which had great potential, but they were worried about how many people would find it fun, so they botox-injected a bunch of arcade elements.

You're not getting fucking PAID, why do you care how many people are having fun?? For once, I'd like to see a team have a unique angle and follow through to the end.

Janderson said:

That is pretty cool, but you'll get some guy going around your solar system and destroying the planet you worked so hard on.

Spore is not an MMO. You'll download content from other people, but you won't be able to personally manipulate their game. So, be prepared for the dumbest looking and utterly pointless creatures being automatically downloaded into your game.

Bucket said:

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for my FPS Combat Simulator.

america's army?

Quast said:

america's army?

Hmm, not sure. I'd always assumed that it was an arcadey TFC knockoff. I'll have to check it out.

Oh, and in the spirit of this thread I urge you all to download NOCTIS.

Bucket said:

That game is incredibly fun...for about a day.

Bucket said:

Hmm, not sure. I'd always assumed that it was an arcadey TFC knockoff. I'll have to check it out.

Not in the least

Enjay said:

SimPainter!

Bucket said:

Hmm, yes. Explore any star in the galaxy, and see 5 different low-detail areas.

Looks stupid and boring, and the voice of the guy that played it is retarded.