Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BlackAsDaNight

Graphic Cards and stuff

Hi guys!

To start off, i just play Zdaemon and Doom I and II and my knowledge on computers is terrible.

I want to upgrade my PC so i can play Quake 4, my ram is 480 AMD Athlon 200+ on Windows Xp with 1.66 GHz.

However ive sussed out that my graphics card is crap as i am using a S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR and I want to update it.

Just two questions...

1) What would you dudes recommend to buy
2) By changing my graphics card will I loose information or whatever on my computer?

Cheers!

first of all only changing your harddrive will make you lose data, because that is where data is stored. Unless you mean flash/bios data or jumper settings on cards but I doubt you do, and you shouldnt even worry about that.

also, according to my quake 4 box, minimum system requirements are:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 4.2 Ghz or AMD Athlon XP 2000+
RAM: 512mb RAM
Operating System: Windows XP or 2000
Video Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64mb card (aka a fairly newer card, especially since these are minimum requirements; I personally suggest a GeForce 6600 GT, they should be fairly cheap now and are a year or two old, but mine is still great. unless you really have to be hardcore for some reason and blow $7000 on a graphics board that will be obsolete in months, which I dont suggest, I'd go with something cheap and slightly below the technology curve)
Hard Drive: At least 2.8GB freespace
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card (I dont think you have to worry about your sound card much, but you may wanna check)
And of course, keyboard, mouse etc and DirectX 9.0c (they give it to you with the game so don't worry).

You'll need to do a processor upgrade and a new graphics card for sure. There may be some other things too.

cheers man!!

You recommend the GeForce 6600 GT for graphics card, what about processor.... infact what is a processor =S (sorry i am a complete n00b at this stuff)

heh its ok, the processer is the part of the computer that actually processes all the calculations and stuff, you'll need a newer one thats for sure. Unfortuantly, processor upgrades sometimes involve motherboard upgrades as well or upgrades of other components so you may want to look into that before doing anything. And yeah I like the 6600 a lot, but you should get second opinions because as much as I like mine, its never good to go by one opinion on its own.

Any recommendations for processor like what brand or model?

I found out that my processor is...

Processor
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
Speed: 1662 MHz

I would agree with Goat. Your system is fairly old and in order to upgrade it with all the new parts to run Quake 4 well, you might as well just start from scratch.

This will of course mean either losing your data or backing it up first, which is not difficult, or even if you have a home network at all it'd be even easier to copy the stuff you want to your new PC.