• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Polyobject Door Shots

Before Pushing:

After Pushing:

Yay! Polyobject doors are the best ;) I had several bugs to fix when I first tested this, but now they're flawless.

Flawless? YOU CALL TRYING TO CRAM 128 PIXELS WORTH OF DOOR INTO A 96-PIXEL FRAME FLAWLESS?!

Seriously, great feature. I've always thought those sliding doors were far more appropriate to Doom than Hexen. This'll also help in some areas where I either raised ceilings or turned doors into lifts because the building just wasn't tall enough for a standard door to recede high enough into the ceiling without looking stupid.

Awesome.
Do they have less of a tendency to bleed?
Because in both Hexen and ZDoom, it's been terribly difficult getting them not to, even after going through every precaution and using many different nodesbuilders.

If they are rendered the same way as Hexen and ZDoom do it they will bleed as well. Unless a completely different method is used that's an unavoidable consequence of Doom's renderer.

But as long as you construct them properly and use a polyobject aware node builder there shouldn't be any problems. All the polyobjects that still bleed when using ZDBSP are improperly constructed.

Quasar's implementation of polyobjects promises to be much more versatile than Hexen/ZDoom's. I'll wait for him to explain further.

Woohoo!

Now if only I had the will to replace all the WolfenDOOM doors with polyobjects. Oh well :D

Bloodshedder said:

Quasar's implementation of polyobjects promises to be much more versatile than Hexen/ZDoom's. I'll wait for him to explain further.

Exactly. ;-)

There can be surface visibility issues in certain areas when the node builder doesn't divide the area the polyobjects are at in a way that preserves the proper draw order at all times, so that may be what you're referring to, and if so, yes, Eternity can still have those sort of problems. That being said, however, Eternity allows multiple polyobjects in a single subsector, and it allows polyobjects to move to different subsectors, neither of which Hexen's implementation affords. This means that overall, they'll be more robust and flexible.

A polyobject is considered to be in the subsector in which lies its midpoint. A simple z sort (using R_PointToDist2) within each subsector is all that's required to make them work right when there's more than one.

You do realise that giving me great editing features is akin to, say, handing over the One Ring to Sauron..? :)