Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Community Hexen Hub!

Since there's barely any Hexen projects lying around I thought maybe I'd think about it. Would anybody be interested in making a Hexen hub (or few!).

I was thinking this after playing some Hexen hubs recently, and we kinda need more of these.

SLOT INFO MENTIONED BELOW!

Good idea, but I think you're posting this in the wrong forum..

" Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Community Hexen Hub!"

Something about that doesn't look quite right.. but definitely give it a shot.

insertwackynamehere said:

classic doom really just means non-Doom3 based games I think.

That's a new one, I think.

Mizzory said:

That's a new one, I think.

No not really, people have been posting thier hexen/heretic wads (Which is not much) for a while.

zap610 said:

No not really, people have been posting thier hexen/heretic wads (Which is not much) for a while.

Well I don't doubt that, I was looking more at the way he defined "Classic Doom"

I really like the idea, we need more (good) Hexen projects. I'd be glad to help but I don't know nothing about scriptings, I couldn't even put a breakable window. I could help with some new monster sprites though, I have some ideas.

I might be interested. Tell me more.

udderdude said:

We need more Hexen maps from people that understand Hexen isn't Doom.

Care to elaborate? I can think of quite a few notable differences between Doom and Hexen (as seen in their respective IWADs), but which differences do you consider to be the "important" ones?

Maybe no Doom levels with Hexen textures?
Btw, I love Hexen so I would like to participate in a community project if one is started.

I really wish i had hexen, i only have Hexen 2.
is there a wad with all the Hexen Textures and monsters anywhere?
if so, Can you tell me, i would make a map with them for the project :)

- sausage -

sausage said:

is there a wad with all the Hexen Textures and monsters anywhere?

Of course there is. It's the one you get with the game, so I suggest you buy a copy of Hexen if you're really interested.

You can't just load the resources from Hexen into Doom and make a PWAD that works with Hexen, if that's what you're thinking. If you did that, all you'd have is a Hexen-themed Doom wad.

There's a wad with Hexen II textures, then we could convert the textures to the Hexen pal.

As a hub it's a bit hard to coordinate properly for a comunity proyect, to avoid making a linear episode (non Hexenish) I only can think in one idea, each mapper interesed create his own map with the theme he wants, with all the new textures and creatures he find necessary as far as it's Hexenish and properly balanced with the others (a final test should be needed once maps get done), each mapper names his map using his name (i.E. "The lake of the Blackfish" "Julian's mausoleaum"). To start there are reserved certain slots, something like this.

-Introduction
-Main hub (with certain number of doors to other maps, and a final door thar requires certain keys).
-Connected map 1 (objetive get certain key)
-Connected map 2 (same objetive)
-Connected map 3 (the same)
-Final map, hopefully a new boss.

I think first we need to get mappers, and then we can figure out how the maps are going to work (ie, if one hub map needs to have a key in order to go to another section of another map).

I think if we have enough mappers we can have mappers work on sections of levels.

Also, I am suggesting using Zdoom (for easy use of scripts and details) and the Hexen II texture pack.

Okay I think I have to launch this somehow then.

There will be at first 8 slots, 1 for intro, 1 for main hub, 3-6 for the main hub maps (2 people can work on one map), and 1 for the final level. I'll take intro for starters.

Intro: F|sh
MainHub:
Hub1:
Hub2:
Hub3:
"Boss":

How the hubs will work is that each level will be mapped to the other level by having one key in order to get to the next area of the other levels. There will be also switches to gain access to the main door to get to the "Boss" level. This is somewhat simular to the 7 portals format.

Vegeta said:

There's a wad with Hexen II textures, then we could convert the textures to the Hexen pal.

I don't advise that seing how the Doom pallette already butchered them. Rather rip textures from Hexen II and put them into a wad.

I'll add that I'm very much looking forward to this mod :) this can be a nice competition to TUD's Serpent Resurrection, and Deathsong's WoE, if it wasn't cancelled.