Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Increasing monster A.I.?

Note: Sorry if this thread has already been done, but I did a forum search and it turned up nothing relevant.

Has there been any mods, source ports, etc., that have attempted to up the intelligence of the enemies? I would actually like to play levels where the monsters jump, hide behind corners or pillars, run, can pick up other weapons (in the case of the zombies), perhaps find an alternate way to locate you instead of just running towards you, find other enemies to help them, working in groups, etc. But as with a lot of things, this is probably one of those "easier said than done" situations.

GoatLord said:

But as with a lot of things, this is probably one of those "easier said than done" situations.

Bingo!

I think monsters always try to find the shortest route towards the player.
They want to walk in an straight line to where the player is, with some smart map design you can guide them a bit.

i think its possible to do this to some extent with scripting in zdoom. not change there AI but close to it.

but i dont know alot about zdoom editing :)

No source port to date has -really- altered monster AI in the way you probably want. The basic AI still there... monsters are dormant until awakened, move closer to player and occasionally attack when in range. But there have been some improvements.

The following is (no surprise) for Eternity.

• Inherited from MBF, it has some general AI options. First, the option for monsters to "avoid hazards", which means they will avoid walking under moving crushers. Monsters can help similar friends that are being injured by attacking their target. Monsters can opt to flee when low on health. Unfortunately, these are general user-controlled options... so they apply to all monsters or none at all. A new flag would be better, so you can opt which type of monster has the new behaviour.

• You can remove or add flags with two new codepointers in-game. Like, switch from a walking monster to a flying monster.

• The RandomJump codepointer allows you to choose alternate AI paths. So a monster can attack with weapon A or with weapon B.

• The RandomWalk codepointer allows dormant or active monster to "aimlessly" wander around until they acquire a target.

• There have been several new codepointers added, which makes for more varied behaviour.

• With scripting, you have more control over above options, and make behaviour dependant on counters and/or health status.

I dont think all monsters walk in a straight line towards player. Demons tend to walk from side to side, which i think should represent strafing (horribly strafing to). Btw why doesnt EVER monsters in shoot ems strafe???

Actually, I think the simplest way to 'up' the apparent AI level would be to allow monsters to shoot\fire while moving. Having to stop for each shot is a little dissociative with their supposed ferocity.

Heh, that would make -fast much more difficult...

Anyway, isn't the point (or at least charm) of Doom that it has hordes of stupid, but hard-hitting monsters?

GoatLord said:

Has there been any mods, source ports, etc., that have attempted to up the intelligence of the enemies?

Community is Falling 3 (a somewhat jokewad) will have enemies that actually avoid your missile shots as well as jump over gaps.. all though decorate and acs of course. Just about every enemy in cif3 will have a unique behavior.

GoatLord said:

But as with a lot of things, this is probably one of those "easier said than done" situations.

Its easy if you know exactly what to do.

To much AI for demons would be stupid. My only beef with Doom 3 was the demons were weak and easy to kill. Plus, they didn't try to dodge you that much.

one more post for me and all hell will break loose.