Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Multiplayer games for notebooks

So the guys have all got new notebook PCs.

We're supposed to be productive with them, but I'm sure there'll be times when we're on the road and short on entertainment. We're huge fans of FPS's and action games but these touchpad things are no substitute for an actual mouse/trackball. So I'm looking for a LAN game (preferably freeware) that isn't heavy on mouse movement, and offers replayability and quick matches (for short attention spans).

Also, I have a tablet PC that's a P3 1.3GHz, 512RAM and S3 integrated video... so high-end is out of the question.

I've got Worms: Amageddon, but I don't have an optical drive (and the last no-CD patch I found installed tons of trojans on my machine). Carmageddon would be another good option, but I think the same issues are there. There's a space combat game called Allegiance (made by Microsoft), so if anyone knows anything about that game, that'd be great. I may be wrong, but isn't Descent Freespace free now? Finally, on the odd chance I can find a wireless hotspot around town, I may look into an MMO for myself.

Any suggestions?

http://megamek.sourceforge.net/

This is a fairly fast paced turn based tactical game. It is based on the BattleTech tabletop strategy game (which spawned the Mechwarrior series of sims). Basically giant robots blowing the shit out of each other. Once you know what you are doing it is very fun.

Worms World Party. If you need a no-cd I certainly cannot help you. nope.

Anyway, uh. Try finding some driving game you like. There are too many to make any suggestions really.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone suggested Soldat; unfortunately, it relies way too much on the mouse and I can't enjoy it with this touchpad. And to think it could've been worse-- I could've gotten a notebook with that fucking eraser knob in the keyboard. For me that's just one of those things where you get angry simply knowing it exists.

Anyway, yeah. I may just load up some Doom. Perhaps I can cope with the keyboard layout like I used to.

Oh, and W:A > WWP.

WTF can't you use a mouse on your laptop? Are you holding the lan party on a bus trip? All my ZDaemon stats came from playing on a laptop (and I mean all).

Sorry, just re-read your post, and I guess you ARE planning on lanning on the lam.

Bucket said:

Iit could've been worse-- I could've gotten a notebook with that fucking eraser knob in the keyboard.

Those are WAAAAAAYYYY better for gaming than a touchpad. I used to play zdaemon using my shitty PII Thinkpad with the eraser thing all the time, and it wasn't that bad once I maxed out the sensitivity. Anyway, on topic: http://www.bzflag.org/

I have a 2.2 GHZ AMD Turion , 2.0 GB RAM HP dv5000. $1700 bucks. The only think shitty is the Graphics Card which is a 128 MB ATI Radeon x200. Can't play DOOM 3 or Quake 4 on it.

I'm trying to get a new, cheap one (under $125), what should I get?

Bah. I <3 my touchpad. Turning in FPS games is teh bestest with it.

As for laptop games, no idea. I havent either the optical drive or the mouse problems you have.

Anyone want to show me what an eraser knob is? I can't google that crap!

Bucket said:

I may look into an MMO for myself.

My brother informed me earlier today that Shadowbane is now completely free to download and completely free per month, although he has tricked me before. It's an mmorpg that would have been awesome if the release a few years back wasn't so buggy.

Edit: hi ther

Epyo said:

Anyone want to show me what an eraser knob is? I can't google that crap!

I used to think they were retarded until I actually used one. It's very nice for productivity since your fingers don't have to leave the keyboard.

david_a said:

I used to think they were retarded until I actually used one. It's very nice for productivity since your fingers don't have to leave the keyboard.

The eraser-head knob is, without a doubt, the best control for Wolfenstein 3D. Beats the heck out of any mouse, guaranteed.

That reminds me, the knob on my Thinkpad is pretty grungy. I should get a new one.

exp(x) said:

That reminds me, the knob on my Thinkpad is pretty grungy. I should get a new one.

Funny you should mention that. I just replaced mine, and now it's fresh and fuzzy.