Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been thinking for a while about making a Zelda style TC... I've heard of at least two cases of a Zelda TC being made, one based on a link to the past and another based on the original NES version. Has anyone information on these wads?

Also, is anyone interested in such an idea as making a Zelda TC? Could prove some fun.

It has always been an idea of mine to make a TC based on Nintendo's Zelda. For me Zelda would allow level designers a unique challenge in crafting the world of Hyrule within the universe of the Doom engine; graphics artists too would have a nice job set out for them, from medows and towns to dungeons and castles.

I believe Zelda, if it were to be made into a Total Conversion, would have to be based on either Ocarina of Time or a Link to the Past. Level design should reflect the overeal feel of the levels in both these games, but a map designer should be allowed to have a free range if the design is dull within doom.

The levels would be based on the dungeons of Hyrule that Link has to explore, with the occasional cave and town level thrown in for good measure.

What are people's thoughts on this? And do we have anyone interested in this project?

yeah, how the hell are you going to make the lost woods

it's a waste of time and the project will fail eventually. Why not just play Zelda?

gargoylol said:

it's a waste of time and the project will fail eventually. Why not just play Zelda?

Who says the Lost Woods even needs recognition? And I gurantee it is possible for one to create the effect of a Woods in Doom, it just takes a little imagination and a little less pessimism.

When I think of all the TCs that have existed, one may aswell ignore everyone of them under your logic, and just play a 'superior' game engine. What a 'waste of time' each of them has been under your logic.

But the challenge is to make something impressive with doom, to surpass it's ordinary state and to re-invent it in a new image.

I do not intend to replicate Ocarina of time, or any other Zelda; I simply wish to create Doom levels that have the essence and feel that they exist within the universe of Hyrule.

[newproject]!!!! (enter irony).

I would just create a small level set based on Zelda. Seeing how you are completly new here I'd say go up the stairs before taking the broken escalater. (bs!?)

BlackFish said:

[newproject]!!!! (enter irony).

I would just create a small level set based on Zelda. Seeing how you are completly new here I'd say go up the stairs before taking the broken escalater. (bs!?)

I only intended to make five levels anyway; stop treating me like a newbie. I've been making doom wads since 1998.

Heh, you came in here like you were. (trust me, it could have been a younger kid busting in here asking for a 32 level zelda megawad). Anyway what sample work you have?

BlackFish said:

Heh, you came in here like you were. (trust me, it could have been a younger kid busting in here asking for a 32 level zelda megawad). Anyway what sample work you have?

Mainly textures and various deathmatch levels - no concrete Total conversions sadly, since I've never really been able to devote the time. But my hardrive is a wealth of textures and sprites that could be used for any number of Total conversions; I don't believe that a total conversion means an entire 32 level megawad, and look towards people like Laz Rojas with a simpler ten level method.

Once upon a time, while observing a selection of ripped graphics I aquired from Blood I pondered on making a TC of five levels based on the game Alone in the Dark, but a trip to Europe ensured that I was held in the dark with Doom editing for some time. Now i've decided to take back my old hobby, but I've noticed some great developments in the field of doom editing (Doom Builder, which resembles Duke Nukem's 'Build' Editor complete with 3D view!).

If I were you, I'd go on ahead with the project - but I'd merely work on it as a "Zelda-inspired" total conversion. That way, if you feel that you have to change something or can't make it the same as in the Zelda universe, you have the freedom to change things as you see fit.

I would seriously base it on Hexen and not on DOOM because you then have an appropriate fantasy-based texture set to build upon.

Hell, think about a Serpent Riders / Zelda crossover for that matter. I had this idea a long time ago. The Serpent Riders invade the world of Hyrule and try to find the Triforce to make themselves more powerful. Could work.

ZelDoom by Thomas and Denton

Description             : zelstuff.wad
                            A sword for the chainsaw, a sling for the
                            pistol, magic hands for the shotgun(s), a comic
                            weapon for the plasma gun, a boxing glove for
                            the fist and a comic knight replaces the pink
                            demon. The status bar face is now a nice heart.
                          zellev.wad
                            A demo level with new graphics on the walls and
                            floors. There is no chaingun in it, so there is
                            no honest way to get it. Are you honest?

Note by the uploader    : This add-on was originally published as
                          ZelDoom.wad, that was intended to be merged into
                          the DooM2-IWAD via NWT. It was a demo of an
                          apparently abandoned TC. I found it at
                          archive.org in the backup of the homepage of
                          the creator. The email adresses in the textfile
                          are apparently dead. I insert them here just for
                          reference. The original ZelDoom.wad is here
                          converted into an IWAD- and sourceport-friendly
                          external PWAD-format, using the deutex-way. I
                          have split up the stuff into zellev.wad (the demo
                          level and it's assoziated data) and zelstuff.wad
                          (the stuff, that can be used with any other
                          doom-level). In that way the graphics from the 
                          demo level do not harm any longer the appearance 
                          of the original doom levels, when you play with 
                          the new weapons and enemies.

Additional Credits to   : Nintendo for making the Legend of Zelda
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14213

Greetings
Funduke

Lots of words... What I'd like to see are some of done work on this conversion, or screenshots.

Nmn said:

Lots of words... What I'd like to see are some of done work on this conversion, or screenshots.

The work, that has been done, is linked in the URL at the end of my previous posting.

Greetings
Funduke

funduke said:

The work, that has been done, is linked in the URL at the end of my previous posting.

Greetings
Funduke

Ahh. I apologise for missing that link. Thanks :)

Quasar said:

I would seriously base it on Hexen and not on DOOM because you then have an appropriate fantasy-based texture set to build upon.

Hell, think about a Serpent Riders / Zelda crossover for that matter. I had this idea a long time ago. The Serpent Riders invade the world of Hyrule and try to find the Triforce to make themselves more powerful. Could work.

Wasn't Doom Eternity something of a crossover? Iirc it included the world of Hyrule. And some Zelda characters.

funduke said:

Greetings
Funduke

That looks very good so far :)

I was just talking with someone yesterday about how they wanted to do a total conversion for Zelda but for Q3Arena I believe. His was based on the new Zelda. Good luck with the project. I'd be most keen to play it. Speaking of keen. Wouldn't it be fun to have Commander Keen in the Zelda world?

Hmmmmmm....

*******ely base it on the ocarina of time
and if this comes to work out, well...
YAY

- Sausage -

gargoylol said:

bull crap, i can do mapping like that with gzdoom. 3d floors+ slopes !? i may actually be interested is working on this project. i absolutely LOVE zelda games. and i particulary LOVE ocarina of time!, it is a totaly possiblity with gzdoom. and i have an emulated copy of ocarina of time on my computer, so this whole thing can be done... i could even find some kind of program to maybee rip textures and models right out of the .V64 file ! if not, then i can simply recreate the textures myself. it cant be that hard, the original textures have very low quality anyway.

kristus said:

Wasn't Doom Eternity something of a crossover? Iirc it included the world of Hyrule. And some Zelda characters.

If you're referring to Eternity TC, no. Eternity used some Hexen textures and sprites for the medieval atmosphere but had nothing to do with those games' storylines. The land that the player ended up in when he traveled into the past was called The Halcyon, not Hyrule. And although Halif Swordsmythe's original sprite was based on Sahasrahla from LoZ:LttP, he's not meant to have any relationship to that character.