Epyo

Ocarina of Time

Zelda OoT: good or no good?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Zelda OoT: good or no good?

• It sucks, you\'re cool.
    • It rocks, you\'re lame.
    • Don\'t know.

I told my buddies I thought Ocraina of Time was probably one of the worst games I have ever played, and they got sooo pissed! Could someone please explain to me the big deal about this horrible piece of Zelda trash?

I think Ocarina of Time is one of the best Zelda games ever. I've forgotten how many times I've played it from start to finish, but it hasn't gotten old yet.

Go ahead. Say something about it now.

I've only played this and Minish Cap, and Minish Cap was only mediocre; I think I quit about a dungeon or two before the end.

It does have a terrible camera (like every Nintendo 1st party Game I've played). But it's probably one of the only games I've played in the last 5 years... so it says something about its quality. It was the only 64 game I owned until my Nephew took it.

I wouldn't say it was one of the worst games I've ever played, but I certainly didn't enjoy it very much. I much prefer Zelda III: A Link to the Past over it, or pretty much any other Zelda game. In fact, I'd have to say that none of the other games come anywhere close to the quality of the third game.

Meh. I've never had much respect for the Zelda series. I never played any of them for more than a few minutes-- except MM, which I completed for personal reasons.

I suppose it would have been a better idea to play it when it was new and the world wasn't spoiled by stuff like voiceovers, high production scores and CGI cutscenes.

I don't really know what's so great about it, either. The dungeons became confusing (I'm looking at you, Water Temple!), the camera sucked, the controls were clunky, and the story was lame (I've heard people say it has the best story ever, I have absolutely no idea how), just like the other Zeldas.

Sorry, best game ever. The end.

Consider the expansiveness of such a game at that time of videogaming. It's more expansive than many games released today.

It was and always will be one of the greatest adventure games.

being a guy that was into zelda from the beginning, I gotta say that, although not the best zelda game, OoT was a great entry. if I had to rank the zelda games, I'd put it third. number 2 would be link to the past and number 1 would be the original. the worst, IMO, had to be zelda 2, although there was a game or two on some cd system that are ranked as some of the worst games ever, but I never saw them so I can't rate them.

as far as the "clunky controls" and "bad camera", you gotta realize that it was a new engine with lots to work on. try majora's mask and you'll see improvement, as well as getting a very odd and challenging game. the camera and contorol get even better in windwaker. that was a good game, but I couldn't stand some of the side stuff and all the sailing.

VileSlay said:

as far as the "clunky controls" and "bad camera", you gotta realize that it was a new engine with lots to work on.

No, I don't. If OOT wasn't a Zelda game, people would be bitching about those things.

VileSlay said:

as far as the "clunky controls" and "bad camera", you gotta realize that it was a new engine with lots to work on.

No, it used the Mario 64 engine but modified.

also, it was in development for a long time too compared to the rest of the original n64 lineup, so they had all that time available to fix the obvious niggling in the game too.

It was a really good game. I got to the point where I got tired and put it away. Then my asshole friend stole it. I later got the Cube version and played it farther but again quit.

The Zelda Game & Watch was fun (who here remembers that!?). I haven't gotten into any other Zelda games, but some of my friends consider "Ocarina of Time" to be one of the greatest games of all time.

BBG said:

No, it used the Mario 64 engine but modified.

hmm. didn't know that. either way, I had little trouble with camera or control in the game.

I had a hell of a time controlling it, and getting the camera where I needed it. I was also sorely dissapointed in the size. When it was in production it said it would take the game equivilant of weeks to cross the world. If by weeks they mean three days on foot, and one and a half on horse back they were right. Some of the dungeons also got extremely annoying, which is in large part due to the fact that I couldn't see where I was going half the time. Oh yeah, and I wanted to stomp Navi into the ground. Overall, I was just let down. I cleared it once, started a second time and got to the forest temple, and just stopped playing, because I knew I still had the forest temple, the water temple, and the geruto fortress to go through.

I'd say my favorite was Link to the Past, as was most peoples. I also enjoyed Link's Awakening quite a bit. Wind Waker was fun the first time through, but the sailing gets so tedious, a second play through is basically out of the question, but they did improve tremendously on the camera in it. The first one of course is a classic, but it had a hell of a time with erasing my data, even if I held in reset, so I never got all the way through it. Link's Adventure... well I like to pretend it doesn't exist. Haven't played any of the ones for gameboy since Link's Awakening, so I can't comment. Likewise, I haven't played Majora's Mask, so no comment there.

All in all, I'd personally say Ocarina was a weak point in the series. It was a personal let down after so much hype, the puzzles and temples just got tedious and annoying, and I still can't get the hang of controlling that damn game.

I liked LTTP way better than OOT. I gave up on OOT after I screwed up one of the puzzles in the Water Temple(the one where you have to start the game over if you screw up). That was just tremendous bullshit right there.

I'd assume it's a bug in the game, although I personally have never heard of it. I thought I was stuck in the Water Temple for a while, but by tracing the official strategy guide's walkthrough from beginning to end, I finally found what I was missing.

Quasar said:

I'd assume it's a bug in the game, although I personally have never heard of it. I thought I was stuck in the Water Temple for a while, but by tracing the official strategy guide's walkthrough from beginning to end, I finally found what I was missing.

Yeah but right when I went in and did everything there was a block you werent supposed to push in, and I was 10 at the time and didnt know that so I pushed it in. Blocked me from going underwater into this room I had to drain or something.

Bloodskull said:

I liked LTTP way better than OOT. I gave up on OOT after I screwed up one of the puzzles in the Water Temple(the one where you have to start the game over if you screw up). That was just tremendous bullshit right there.

I don't remember anything like that before...which are you talking about?

And yes...Water Temple did suck...right down to the boss.

I remember playing this when it came out, and it just thrilled me when i got to be the adult guy. I really thought this was a great game.

Ocarina of Time is not the greatest game on earth, nor is it crappy. In fact it's an excellent game; it's solid, stable, looks great, sounds great, plays great. Well, for the time it came out, anyway.

So, to say it sucks demonstrates that you can't even appreciate a solid game.