Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Getting to E3M9

I found another way to get to E3M9, without hurting yourself by using the RL and without hitting the switch through the wall.... I can't believe no one has realized this third way.

No, I'm not telling what it is.
You'll just have to trust me that I'm not lying.

Uhm... run...?

That's what I did to get there, which was by accident the first ever time I played E3.

No, now go away.

No one really cares. If you want to tell us, fine. If you don't want to tell us, that's fine too, since I don't think anyone will be groveling with jealousy at your amazing feat.

Jayextee: I thought the only way to get there was by rocketing yourself off the ledge or by "cheating" by hitting the switch. You ran off the ledge to do it?

You can get over there by using the rocket launcher and by strafe-running, but I never was able to activate the switch from the outside. I don't think the map is positioned right to use wall-running in that particular area. If all else fails, fire up ZDoom and use the oh so loveable jump button, but there's another?? Do us a favor and enlighten us.

but I never was able to activate the switch from the outside.

They fixed that in a later upgrade, v1.666 I think. You could do it in earlier versions.

Hellbent: Back then I didn't know how I did it, but I ran and strafed, because it's at an angle from the ledge. Now I know of straferunning, it's the way I get to that secret.

Today is the first I've actually heard about using the RL, actually.

You should get out from underneath that rock everyone once in a while....

Well... that was the third way I was thinking of. I didn't know it was possible.

They fixed that in a later upgrade, v1.666 I think. You could do it in earlier versions.

Huh, my first Ultimate DOOM was on Doom95, and it works. I found out about it from a .lmp I downloaded.

Huh, my first Ultimate DOOM was on Doom95, and it works. I found out about it from a .lmp I downloaded.

Hrm.

Well, what they did was make the switch wall smaller than the wall on the opposite end of it. So if you have the "fixed" version, that little pit will be in the shape of a trapezoid rather than a rectangle.

I'm not sure if that fix actually fixed the problem (sounds like it didn't), but that's what the purpose of the reshaping was.

E3M6, one of my favorite map (also on PSX)

I never succeed with the strafing jump at all...
I saw many demos with that technic but I can't do it.
Don't laugh please ! =P
Hit the switch from outside don't work with my version
(I don't remember which it is...)

So I always use the rocket jump (just after getting the last invulnerability sphere)

Hmm... I just tried the strafe jump thingie and it didn't work. Would someone give details on positioning for this.

Of course it doesn't matter. Strafe run is a bug. The best way to do it is the rocket jump and there are 2 invulnerability spheres (are there more?) just for that.

This is why you use old versions of ZDoom.

One of them had a bug where you could hit switches from either side. Made it fun for one of Prower's levels... you could exit the level in like 10 seconds.

10 seconds, no, but I just did it in 29 (with rocket jump). You would be able to do it faster with that bug, because you don't need to run and get the RL and the sphere. But running will still take you longer than 10 secs. Or maybe not. I'll check.

Checked. I guess you could do it in 12-15.

Anyway, the Compet-N record for e3m6, secret exit, is 6 seconds. Made by AdamH :D It uses the switch from outside trick

E3M6, one of my favorite map (also on PSX)

I never succeed with the strafing jump at all...
I saw many demos with that technic but I can't do it.
Don't laugh please ! =P
Hit the switch from outside don't work with my version
(I don't remember which it is...)

So I always use the rocket jump (just after getting the last invulnerability sphere)

You can rocketjump, but not straferun?? Nice work :) Anyway, just practice practice practice and you'll get it.

Anyway, the Compet-N record for e3m6, secret exit, is 6 seconds. Made by AdamH :D It uses the switch from outside trick

I don't believe you. It's impossible to do it in 6 seconds without -turbo. And even then it'd be very hard.

I'm 80% sure I pressed taht skull from the back while in Ultimate Doom once. I can't do it in zdoom though.

As for strafe running lign up from the far end of the platform, turn so that the little trapezoid thing is at 45 degrees to you, strafe while going forward so you go in the direction of it and you should make it in by your 5th try. I made it on the 2nd try, I was lucky.

I also want to get ontop of a cacodemon and ride on it. Then when I'm above it I'll just jump off and exit the map. YEEEEHAAAW COWBOY!

I also want to get ontop of a cacodemon and ride on it. Then when I'm above it I'll just jump off and exit the map. YEEEEHAAAW COWBOY!

That would only work in certain source ports, though.

...and the fucker would be constantly biting your ass.

...and the fucker would be constantly biting your ass.

Really? That only usually happens when I'm on top of things that are on the ground, like barons and imps and demons and such. I could've sworn cacos couldn't bite you if you were on top of it in the air...

Don't you mean YEEEEEEHAAAW CACOBOY!!! ? ? ?

I don't believe you. It's impossible to do it in 6 seconds without -turbo. And even then it'd be very hard.

ftp://competn.ath.cx/pub/compet-n/doom/speed/e3m6-006.zip

Thanks for the link. Nice work that recording. It was utterly my mistake, cause I didn't realize the exact path he was taking... The demo is from UDOOM, so it's possible to press the switch from the outside there. I never managed to do it, though. Is it positioning, luck, or combined?

Well, it's luck that Adam got it immediately in that recording. Trying to do it normally, you just need the right position and angle. Line yourself up in the automap. You don't want to be level with the switch but a short way back, where the wall gradually gets thinner... but not so far back that the switch is out of range. Then turn ten-fifteen degrees to the right or left (depending on which side you're coming from) and hunt around in that area.

when i first played on e3m9, i was at the "exit" and then the walls drop and then i saw a cyberemon! I said "oh fuck!!" and pissed my pants lol!!!