Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher`

Zheretic Ahoy!

Hey hey kids. It's that time again. I'm looking for playtesters for a new Zheretic map I'm working on. It's pretty much done now, the only thing left is difficulty settings.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

[The wad!]

Nice with a Heretic wad for a change.

Pro: Not ridicously hard, but not too easy either. Fun to play, and good use of zDoom features.

Con: A bit more ammo would have been nice, or at least a pair of Electrogauntlets, i found myself wielding the stick quite often. :/

Good map, especially considering I don't even really like Heretic that much. I didn't really find any bugs aside from being able to get the Green key a few seconds early by running against the wall to grab it.

Enjoyable map with good visuals. The ZDoom features used worked to enhance the map. It was a decent challenge, but I felt it started hard and got somewhat easier as I progressed. I didn't find either secret but I wasn't looking too hard for them.

Here are some issues that you might want to look at before your final release:

- It's possible to grab the Dragon Claw before lowering its platform by jumping.
- It's possible to jump up the step in the place on the stairs that fills with water, without pulling the switch that siphons water from the main room. I suppose the player will later be prevented from progressing anyways if the switch wasn't pulled.
- In the area where the ice turns to lava, there are some golems stuck together in one corner.
- I had to jump to take the yellow key when I reached it, instead of just walking up to the edge. I was also able to jump through that window and end up in a previous area of the map, but perhaps you intended this.

Da Spadger said:

Con: A bit more ammo would have been nice, or at least a pair of Electrogauntlets, i found myself wielding the stick quite often. :/

There are gauntlets in one of the secrets, but I think a little more ammo might help others. I managed to finish it with little ammo left, but I don't waste ammo much if possible. ^_^

Draconio said:

- It's possible to grab the Dragon Claw before lowering its platform by jumping.

I should probably fix that. Though, it doesn't change gameplay too much as the switch is very close anyway.

- It's possible to jump up the step in the place on the stairs that fills with water, without pulling the switch that siphons water from the main room. I suppose the player will later be prevented from progressing anyways if the switch wasn't pulled.

There's a second water spillway that needs to be filled before you can continue.

- In the area where the ice turns to lava, there are some golems stuck together in one corner.

Hindsight on my part. I actually saw that, but forgot to fix it. Thanks for reminding me.

- I had to jump to take the yellow key when I reached it, instead of just walking up to the edge. I was also able to jump through that window and end up in a previous area of the map, but perhaps you intended this.

Yeah. Otherwise that last half of the map was cut off from the rest.

Well it's nice, but it's a bit too easy for my taste. 2 problems:

- the monsters that stay dormant until you cross a linedef look weird,

- jumping seems to be required to beat the map but at the same time it allows you to skip huge portions of it.

Neat map. The monster count was pretty high considering how cramped the map is.

Pretty tight ammo balance, I found myself scraping through in some parts. Towards the end it gets kinda loose with the 3 tomes though. Maybe you could move 1 of them a little earlier in the level, and remove 1 of them. I never even had to use them.

The health balance was waaaaaay too loose. I don't know how much damage you usually take, but .. I was not even trying to avoid firepower, and still finished with 6 flasks. I could have easily beaten it with way more. At one point I had close to 16.

The part with the melting ice used the default platform sound. Seeing as this is a zDoom map, you could add a custom sound to this, like the ice melting sound from Hexen. Give it a try.

Oh yeah, and I ran into all the bugs the above posters mentioned. If you're gonna allow jumping, you better check every nook and cranny.