Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

what lines can a monster activate?

been playing a doom episode 2 based wad and i was suddenly reminded that in doom2 there seems to be a lot less monster-activated lifts and doors and the like. so, if i'm boom editing what triggers can a monster activate? is it just particular lift and door triggers?

In Doom2/Boom, Monsters can open normal doors and teleporters and thats about it. IN Zdoom. you can make the monster do a lot more things by select the line type as monster activated.

In Doom and Doom II, monsters can activate the following linedef types:

1: DR Normal Door (Open-Wait-Close)
4: W1 Normal Door (Open-Wait-Close)
88: WR Normal Lift (Drop-Wait-Rise)
97: WR Normal Teleport
39: W1 Normal Teleport
126: WR Monster Teleport
125: W1 Monster Teleport

These are the same with Boom, as far as I can tell.

I found out if your using a monster with +NOCLIP and want it to trigger something you can use this script:

int fuck;

Script 1(void)   
{
   fuck = 0;
   fx = GetActorX(39);
   fy = GetActorY(39);
   if(fx < 18080.0 && fx  > 17900.0)  { fuck++; }
   if(fy < (-1832.0) && fy > (-1980.0)) { fuck++; }
   if(fuck == 2)
      {
         //your actions here.
         ACS_Terminate(1,1);
      }
   delay(2);
   restart;               
}
Those large numbers are coordinates in my map, you would change those to match your trigger area. The triggering monster TID is 39. You can also use this to punish players that cheat with NOCLIP too (like NOCLIPing to the exit). The script would need to be activated by another script or make it an 'OPEN' script but thats not a big deal.

EarthQuake said:

These are the same with Boom, as far as I can tell.

Of course, in Boom you can give any generalized trigger a 'monsters can activate' option so essentially you could make them do a lot of things there.

Graf Zahl said:

Of course, in Boom you can give any generalized trigger a 'monsters can activate' option so essentially you could make them do a lot of things there.

Oh really? I knew there were generalized linedef types, but I never noticed the "monster can activate" flag.

That's quite the coolness.

EarthQuake said:

In Doom and Doom II, monsters can activate the following linedef types:

1: DR Normal Door (Open-Wait-Close)

I think its worth pointing out that monsters can't open type 1 DR manuals if they have the secret (i.e. fake 1-sided wall) flag set.

I guess in retrospect this behaviour is obvious and logical but I only noticed very very recently :)

4: W1 Normal Door (Open-Wait-Close)

I love this one, a single-use door that a monster can set off, and afterwards, it's stuck shut forever unless there's some other way to activate it. It's no surprise there's only one in all the Doom/Doom2 IWAD maps (on MAP10, linedef #465, when you run up the stairs the door opens to reveal the blue key)

In a way all the single-use linedef specials that start a change that reverses itself (open&close doors, lifts etc.) are of limited use.

Single-use linedef triggers are quite the awesomeness. Reminds me back in Wolfenstein where there was that locked door that could only be opened from the inside by one of the guards. After that it would close forever unless you were clever and quick enough to get in there. Makes for some wicked secret areas.

You can bet I'll do stuff like that when I start making SP maps.

ah thanks for that list EarthQuake

i was wandering about the DR1+secret tag last night when i was bashing my 1monster map together. if i'd have been an original doom coder i'd have wanted to put that check in, glad to know they thought of it after all!