Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

jdoom caching time

When it caches a wad, how long does it take for you? It takes about a minute for me on standard maps, with these settings:

1280x1024
antiscropic (sp?) filtering
high detail textures
models
fireballs and bfg mod

my specs:

p4 prescott 3ghz
geforce6800
4x 512mb ddr400 ram

That sounds waaaay too long.

I would guess the problem is that you arn't allocating Doomsday enough memory so it has to swap textures, models and everything else off your HD constantly.

In the 1.8.x series it is necessary to specify how much memory Doomsday can use using the -memzone command-line option.

EG:
-memzone 256mb

This won't be necessary in the 1.9.x series (1.9.0-beta3 available at SourceForge) as Doomsday will manage the size of the memory zone dynamically.

DaniJ said:

That sounds waaaay too long.

I would guess the problem is that you arn't allocating Doomsday enough memory so it has to swap textures, models and everything else off your HD constantly.

In the 1.8.x series it is necessary to specify how much memory Doomsday can use using the -memzone command-line option.

EG:
-memzone 256mb

This won't be necessary in the 1.9.x series (1.9.0-beta3 available at SourceForge) as Doomsday will manage the size of the memory zone dynamically.

With an absolute maximum of 800mb of ram being used when jdoom is run, what should I set it's ram to?

EDIT: tried 256mb, the first level took about the same time to load, but the second level was quicker. However, I got pauses when entering new rooms. With 512, I seem to be worse off than with 256. I tried a gig for subway.wad for doom 1, which takes a long, long, time, and there was no change to that.

EDIT: tried 256mb, the first level took about the same time to load, but the second level was quicker.

This is expected behaviour. Once your system has loaded all the necessary resources into memory (and/or video memory) Doomsday should be able to work more quickly as it isn't waiting for your system.

The hard coded limit for the memory zone in the 1.8.x series is 256mb. Attempting to set it any higher won't work.

Do you have any programs like virus software, disk managers, mirc etc running at the same time as Doomsday? If so you should consider turning them off while you play. Doomsday when running with models, hires textures and mp3 soundtracks needs to shift manage a hell of a lot of data...

Personally, I would suggest you "upgrade" to Doomsday 1.9.0-beta3. Although it is a beta, it is perfectly stable enough for every day use and given that you appear (from your Doomsday.out in the other thread) to want to use every resource pack available, at the same time; you should get much better performance due to the new dynamic memory zone management.

DaniJ said:

This is expected behaviour. Once your system has loaded all the necessary resources into memory (and/or video memory) Doomsday should be able to work more quickly as it isn't waiting for your system.

The hard coded limit for the memory zone in the 1.8.x series is 256mb. Attempting to set it any higher won't work.

Do you have any programs like virus software, disk managers, mirc etc running at the same time as Doomsday? If so you should consider turning them off while you play. Doomsday when running with models, hires textures and mp3 soundtracks needs to shift manage a hell of a lot of data...

Personally, I would suggest you "upgrade" to Doomsday 1.9.0-beta3. Although it is a beta, it is perfectly stable enough for every day use and given that you appear (from your Doomsday.out in the other thread) to want to use every resource pack available, at the same time; you should get much better performance due to the new dynamic memory zone management.

Most of the reason of having 2gb of ram is so I can run things in the background. I mean, occasionaly, I'll get an AV warning without downloading anything - not a good idea to turn AV off. I have firefox and IE running too, but I've never had even a game that demands high performance (battlefield 2, nfs most wanted) run slow, so I don't bother about shutting stuff down. I used to have to do this, but that was back in the win95 days...

Heres my system:

CPU AMD 2.2GHz (OC^2.4GHz)
2GB of RAM
2x 200GB SATA HD
GFX5700Ultra

Now, I get no noticeable pauses AT ALL during normal gameplay and that is with jDRP, the jDTP and Sycraft's high quality music.

Have you tried turning the other apps off while you play?

DaniJ said:

Heres my system:

CPU AMD 2.2GHz (OC^2.4GHz)
2GB of RAM
2x 200GB SATA HD
GFX5700Ultra

Now, I get no noticeable pauses AT ALL during normal gameplay and that is with jDRP, the jDTP and Sycraft's high quality music.

Have you tried turning the other apps off while you play?

Yes, hasn't made any difference, the pauses are only minor - oh, and the framerate drops when a lot of fireballs etc. are on screen... where do I get the HQ music from?