Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
danarchist

And now for somethinc completely...intellectual.

I know, I stole this idea from 999cop, before anyone flames me. But anyways, list your favorite BOOKS and who wrote them.

Why, what an intelligent topic, danarchist. I shall list my favorites:

Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
Dune - Frank Herbert
God Emperor of Dune - Frank Herbert
Dune: House Atraides - Brain Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'Trilogy' - Douglas Adams
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
1984 - George Orwell
The Odessy - Homer
Beowulf - Author Unknown
The Drizzt Series - R.A. Salvatore (Especially the Icewind Dale Trilogy)
The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury
Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
2001: A Space Odessy - Arthur C. Clark
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

anything by henry rollins, h.p. lovecraft, poppy z. brite, clive barker, or franz kafka. there are many others, but i'm to lazy to walk to my bookshelf.

All novels are good, except for those stupid "young adult" realistic fictions that are always about troubled unpopular teens in highschool or something.

All novels are good, except for those stupid "young adult" realistic fictions that are always about troubled unpopular teens in highschool or something.

Catcher In the Rye is good, and even the fact that people study it in schools doesn't make it worse.

Good books:
First place: M. Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita
Second place: A. and B. Strugatsky - The Doomed City
Other stuff: James Joyce - Ulysses; Nabokov - anything; Vonnegut - anything; Lem; Poe; Tolkien (especially the fairy tales, which most people haven't read :( ); Saimak (or whatever); Borges; Dostoyevsky; Camus - The Outsider; Lewis Carroll; Douglas Adams, of course :) ; All Nebula Awards books; Haiku by Basho and Buson; Russian poet D. Charms; Flowers for Algernon (the short story) by Daniel Keyes; and, uh, other stuff :)

anything by henry rollins

Hehe, yes indeed.

I don't read many novels. I never have and probably never will. Most of you would probably find my literature boring since it's all factual/informative stuff. The last book I read that was written as a novel (even though it was a true story) was They Cage the Animals at Night.

I'm not very picky about wording or the technical aspect of the writing, as long as it creates visual effects and feelings for me it works.

I don't read many novels. I never have and probably never will. Most of you would probably find my literature boring since it's all factual/informative stuff.

Well then, I reccomend Lies My Teacher Told ME. I forgot who the author is, but it's a great book. We actually used it as a textbook in my U.S. History class, but that was just because my teacher was cool.

I don't read many novels. I never have and probably never will. Most of you would probably find my literature boring since it's all factual/informative stuff.

Well then, I recommend Lies My Teacher Told Me. I forgot who the author is, but it's a great book.

I actually checked that out last time you recommended it :)

I didn't actually buy the book but I read most of it's reviews over at amazon. Seems pretty decent, it's on my list for the next time I order books. I have about 12 I haven't even read yet, so I'm in no rush to get more.

The Belgariad and Elenium (both are series of books) by David Eddings.

The WHOLE Wheel of Time series By Robert Jordan. (If you've never read them, I ORDER you to go buy "The Eye of the World" if you do, the rest will surely follow. All nine of 'em)

The Callahan's Saloon books by Spider Robinson

Starship Troopers by Heinlein
Dune by Frank Herbert
and many others.

my favorite books are: Mortal Kombat, DooM, Aliens, Pradator: Concrete Jungle, Schoolhouse, and the jurrasic park sequel book, lost world or smth. and some other books similar to the alien or predator story.
that's not to say i've read each book in it's entirety...and since these are like the only books i've ever read, they are my favorite. heh. so it's not to say i liked them a lot anyway.

Catcher In the Rye is good, and even the fact that people study it in schools doesn't make it worse.

I mean like the modernish ones bored middle/highschool chicks are always reading... example, last year my English teacher assigned some book about some interracial highschool relationship and gangs and some chick who's obsessed with astrology and ugh... it was just a horrible horrible read. And "all novels are good" is really supposed to say "all novel genres can be good". Pardon me on that one.

I don't read too much but I like Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park) and Kevin Anderson (Ill Wind, Ignition)

Well, I really like stuff by Stephen King. J.R.R Tolkien is also really good.
That, and any book that I find I cannot put down after starting to read it.

Stuff I will cherish:

The Scarlet Letter-Nathaniel Hawthorne
Jane Eyre-Charlotte Bronte
Cyrano de Bergerac-Edmond Rostand
A Midusummer Night's Dream-William Shakespeare

Stuff I that's good to waste time with:

Anything by Ray Bradbury, Issac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, hell, SCI-FI!!!!!

At least the first 2 DOOM novels

Stuff I hate:

Cry, the Beloved Country-Alan Paton
In my Father's House-Ernest Gaines
A Seperate Peace-John Knowles
Great Expectations-Charles Dickens, or for that matter, ANYTHING by Dickens

It's good to see that there are people who like the Tolkien books. Since I read them a long time ago, I can't say at this point that they are my favorites, but I still like 'em very much.

I like reading various books. Novels, science fiction, detective stories (read all Sherlock Holmes stories). It's a shame that I usually don't read because I burn so much time in front of the damn comp. But if I start reading, I can read a lot.

Lament - I saw you mentioning quite a few Russian books in your list. Master and Margarita was your first. Are you Russian?

Well, I really like stuff by Stephen King.

Stephen King novels are mind candy. They're like the Harry Potter of the suspense world... or maybe it would be a bit more chronologically correct if I said that Harry Potters are the Stephen King novels of the kiddy-fantasy world...

Lament - I saw you mentioning quite a few Russian books in your list. Master and Margarita was your first. Are you Russian?

Yes.

Stephen King novels are mind candy. They're like the Harry Potter of the suspense world... or maybe it would be a bit more chronologically correct if I said that Harry Potters are the Stephen King novels of the kiddy-fantasy world...

Amen.
I read the first couple chapters in a couple Stephen King novels, and it was pretty mindless writing. His novels do make good movies though.
I've managed to stay away from Harry Potter. Books never get this much hype. EVER. Something's wrong with this whole thing, and I'm gonna figure it out if its the last thing I do. Theres something about the whole wizard as a main character thing that reminds me suspiciously of the The House With a Clock in the Walls series by John Belairs.

Yes.

Cool. Me too. I live in Israel, but I was born in the USSR, I speak, read and write Russian perfect. I only read books in Russian, I hate reading in Hebrew. No quality Hebrew writers and whenever they translate something to it, it's so hard to read. Sometimes I read in English too, but mostly I did it for Book Report assignments at my school. I read the whole LOTR like that. Which is funny, because most of the guys were reading like 100-page books, tops.

For me it's:

Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. Martin
Timeline by Michael Crichton
The Lost World by Michael Crichton
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Chocolate Jesus by Stephen Jaramillo
Anything by Stephen Leacock
The Calvin and Hobbes Treasuries by Bill Watterson
Macbeth by William Shakespeare
The Tick by...I forgot...I have the graphic novel, though
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy

and I think that's about it.

Least favourites, or don't like at all:
A Midsummer's Night Dream by William Shakespeare
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Sphere by Michael Crichton
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
The Doom novels
The Aliens/Aliens Vs. Predator Novels...entertainment only
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Silmarilion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Patriot Games by Tom Clancy

Least favourites, or don't like at all:
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

*GASP*
/me curses pilottobombadier
This reminds me of my freind who has never read LOTR. Once we were playing D&D and we inavertantly picked up an evil artifact with whitch we accidentaly brought with us into THE MAJOR HOLY CITY IN THE WORLD and desicrated a temple or two with it. Well, we got kicked out of the city, of course (BTW, this was the first of at least 3 cities that he has got us permanantly expelled from). Then, while we are discussing how best to dispose of the artifact, he keeps insisting on just throwing it into the ocean...you see, kids...this is why you shouldn't be into fantasy stuff if you havn't even read LOTR.

Anyways, nothing against you pilot, the rest of your choices for good and bad were pretty well-founded. I just had to protect what is probably my favorite novel of all time...and I havn't had a good rant in a few days.

LOTR isn't all that good, and it's certainly over-hyped.

It's a good history book, and an excellent work in linguistics, but it's a crappy novel.

I've managed to stay away from Harry Potter. Books never get this much hype. EVER. Something's wrong with this whole thing, and I'm gonna figure it out if its the last thing I do. Theres something about the whole wizard as a main character thing that reminds me suspiciously of the The House With a Clock in the Walls series by John Belairs.

Well, Harry Potter books got so much hype because they are genuinely GOOD BOOKS. Go read 'em. Now. Shoo. Go.

Well, Harry Potter books got so much hype because they are genuinely GOOD BOOKS.

I started reading one when I was at a friend's house for their band practice. It was pretty childish and simplistic in nature but I gotta admit I was fairly taken in. It just reminded me how much I enjoyed magic tales as a kid, and it was just as amusing as ever.

Nice to see another David Edding's fan. ^_^

Mmmh, J.R.R. Tolkien's hight on my list, followed by people like Isaac Asimov (the Foundation series). I like Stephen King's work, specially books like The Stand, the Dead Zone or Christine. The Harry Potter books are actually good, and I would really really love them if I was young and wasn't already a true follower of Tolkien. ;)

I haven't read a novel in a long time. I guess it's time to buy something. Too bad I preffer reading them in the original language (thank God it's English) and that's hard to get here in my country.

Go buy the Wheel of Time, Book one.
The names of the books are currently:
1:The Eye of the World
2:The Great Hunt
3:The Dragon Reborn
4:The Shadow Rising
5:The Fires of Heaven
6:Lord of Chaos
7:Crown of Swords
8:The Path of Daggers
9:Winter's Heart.

There are supposed to be about 15 in the whole series eventually, and I'm gonna get every damn one because these books are the shit.

300th post! Ph33r m3.