Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lemmy

Something un-usual

Wow, for starters, I havent looged into this account in years, Im surprised its still here. Howdy again to allo ya's. Heh

Anyway, onto buisness.
I was messing with editing last night, as I always seem to do when Im supposed to be doing something else. And I was putting the finishing structural touches on a level I was making when something very odd happened.

Basically, the level just caved in on itself. And now the map looks like a toddler scribbled all over it. Everything is totally jumbled up.
Funny thing is, it still starts and plays. But while the player does the walking bobbing thing, they cant move. (sorta like when you disable the clipping cheat when your still half in a wall) If you turn on the clipping cheat, and walk around the level...it looks totally fine.

Anyone know whats going on?

I am currently editing with DOOMbuilder but I remember getting this thing happen a loooong time ago when I used DOOMcad.

What node builder are you using? ZenNode? Did you try rebuilding the nodes after the issue started? You could also try another node builder (e.g., BSP.)

I've seen this happen to maps in the past. With the ones I saw it happen to, the map was (and this is the technical term) fucked. I hope you have a backup from before the corruption. As to why it happened, sorry, I don't know.

Yeh, actually. That was the first thing I did.
Occasionally one linedeff will go slightly crazy, and a rebuild will usually fix that. But this is atleast 40% of all the linedefs.

DOOMbuilder comes with BSP and ZenNode as standard. Not sure which versions though.
I downloaded the newest version of BSP about an hour ago.
But since Im at work right now I wont know if it fixes it till tonight.

Im not aiming to fix this level (if I can thatll be nice) but the level was just a mess-about level anyway, I wouldnt want it to happen to one of my proper ones though.

This happened to me once, to one of my very firstestmost maps, when I had it open in XWE (1.15) and DoomBuilder (1.67) at the same time. Specifically, when I tried to close XWE, which doesn't seem to like a .wad being accessed by it and a second program at any one time.

I dunno, probably a completely pointless anecdote but there you go.

I've had it happen when trying to edit a particular kind of wad in a different type.. Don't know exactly how to say it, but try using different types in doombuilder when you first open a wad.. i.e. zdoom(doom in doom) or zdoom(hexen in doom) and so on.. usually does the trick. Just DO NOT save the file while it looks all scribbled on. Lemme know how it turns out =)

AgntNo9

I used to get that, way back in 1995 when I started editing with Edmap. Means your map is completely fubar, without any hope of rescue. Hope you got a backup!

This happened with Doombuilder? O my :/

Mordeth said:

I used to get that, way back in 1995 when I started editing with Edmap. Means your map is completely fubar, without any hope of rescue. Hope you got a backup!

This happened with Doombuilder? O my :/

Actually, there is hope, however repairing it takes a lot of patience. The maps vertexes are not merged, so you can moved them back to where they were one by one. Though most people would just start over. I managed to fix a problem like this on a small scale. Though I would just say 'SCREW IT!' on a big map.