Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

xit-vono said:

I have a treat for you guys. I did a nightmare movie for TNT from map21 to the end of the game. I guess Never_Again's max movie inspired me to try this. Hope you enjoy it!

I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but it looks like it should be very interesting. Keep it up!

The Czech Doom speedrunning site seems to be down (at least in terms of demo links). I don't know if that is a temporary thing, but I have put a copy of the collection from there here, so that they won't be lost permanently.

The nearly 11-year-old TNT MAP21 UV -fast record has been finally improved upon. I was going to post the first exit on Monday when I saw Xit's third episode NM run posted mere minutes before. I thought it was a remarkable coincidence, both of us working on the same map; and of course the first exit wouldn't do anymore, especially as I exited with some 20 rox and over 100 cells unused - what a waste, heheh! The polishing took a bit longer than I expected, but here it is at last.
The LMP is accompanied by extensive notes, something I would like to see more often. I took the liberty of poking a little fun at the decade-old strategies of the previous record, I hope no one takes it as a slight to the veterans of the demo scene whom I respect very much.

Never_Again said:

The polishing took a bit longer than I expected, but here it is at last.
The LMP is accompanied by extensive notes, something I would like to see more often.

Good stuff. I agree on the notes. After working so hard to achieve some of these times, I would think most people would have a lot more to say about their accomplishment; however, I don't really mind what the .txt file looks like if the demo is good.

Finally had time to watch the latest demos on the TNT front(exams suck). Very nice -fast run Never_Again and Xit's NM run was all kinds of awesome.
After reading the text file to map21 I realized the horrible truth. I never knew there was a Final Doom GM demopack!!! Where can I find it? It'll be probably quite dated now but I'd like to see how the maps were played in earlier days and maybe get a little inspiration.

DeDo said:

After reading the text file to map21 I realized the horrible truth. I never knew there was a Final Doom GM demopack!!! Where can I find it? It'll be probably quite dated now but I'd like to see how the maps were played in earlier days and maybe get a little inspiration.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=7677

Also, cool demos, Xit and Never Again! I found the thing NA does in the rocket launcher room myself after watching Xit's tn21 demo, but I neglected to mention it. Nice to see NA found it too. Nice stuff in any case!

DeDo said:
Where can I find it?

You can also get the initial Team TNT wad demo packs from their Demo Central section.

hey Mr. TF. If you can make that demo then there are plenty of compet-n demos that should be beatable, especially on the pwads. I think 54 is a pretty good time there.

Oh, I haven't tried any pwads yet, only the iwads. Which pwads do you recommend? :)

I recommend that you try all of the compet-n pwads. They are Hell Revealed, Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2, Requiem, Classic Episode and Alien Vendetta. They are all playable, and different in some ways. Classic Episode is the only one for Ultimate doom so it doesn't have SSG. Memento Mori 1,2 and Requiem are all similar and are a bit more difficult than TNT. Hell Revealed maps tend to have lots of monsters, especially on the later levels, and it is very difficult to do quickly. Alien Vendetta is difficult like Hell Revealed, but also plays more like the other Pwads in some ways, although some maps do have a lot of monsters.

Never_Again said:

An impressive first entry, Mr. TF, well done! I saw nothing ugly in that demo, looked very smooth to me.

Indeed! You should really try your hand at some other demos, Mr. TF; this one was very nice, especially for a first entry.

Thx guys :)
I will work on something... I would be the happiest, if I could find something in DoomII, but I know it won't be an easy task :). So perhaps it is better to browse the pwads.

Mr.TF say (in ps11-054.txt):
"Recorded using The Final Doom Version 1.9 !"

>> What do you think? =)

I think Mr.TF is a cheater.

Entryway work on prboom+ if I remember correctly, so he know how a TAS can be done.
Btw, not yet seen this run, I can't say more.

emailking said:

Someone want to explain how they know that?

From a very quick look with LMPC, it was clearly recorded with prboom (not prboom-plus), or a modification of it. So it isn't valid for compet-n, at least.

a guy that beats vono by 4 secs on his 1st demo...that was looking to good to be true.

let's ask op to remove the demo.

entryway > make so prboom+ demos can be detected ?

Grazza said:

From a very quick look with LMPC, it was clearly recorded with prboom (not prboom-plus), or a modification of it. So it isn't valid for compet-n, at least.

Thanks.

Hopefully he just didn't know and will be able to make a comparable vanilla demo.

emailking
Hopefully he just didn't know and will be able to make a comparable vanilla demo.

Hitherto said:

Mr.TF say (in ps11-054.txt):
"Recorded using The Final Doom Version 1.9 !"

Sure ?

When I watched it, it felt suspicious, and the text file felt too cocky for a first demo.

Mr.TF seems to go to the university Adam Hegyi went to.

VinceDSS said:
entryway > make so prboom+ demos can be detected ?

Maybe making it leave a signature wouldn't be a bad idea. Naturally, though, cheaters with coding abilities or the help of a coder could have it removed from the engine, some would just use an older version of PrBoom+, or people who know about it could edit it out of the lump.

That's pretty disappointing, though I really should have checked LMPC sooner given the unusual circumstance of a new-comer beating a Xit IWAD demo by 4 seconds and claiming that it only took a few hours to do. I need to stop being so trusting.

Is it cheat, that I used prboom?:O Oh, sorry I didn't know it :(. I used 1.9 comp level, and didn't changed any settings (f.e. game tick rate). What should I use?

Mr.TF said:

Is it cheat, that I used prboom?:O

No, it's not cheating, but it is not valid by compet-n rules.

About "recorded in final doom":
I just copied the the text from an existing file and rewrote it, but didn't take care about everything.

Too croopy: I have read hundreds of compet-n text files and most of them has this diction. I just wanted to follow this.

Only needed hours to beat: I have played this map before a lot, because I liked it very much. I saw Xit Vono's NM100S just some days ago, I was very happy, because I knew I could bit him.

Adam Hegyi: Yea I am also hungarian and I am studing in the same university where he was. Btw I am not in the same faculty.