Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

I agree with your nm100s assessment. So under those standards then, would you agree that Adam Hegyi's nightmare record of map 07 should also count for nm100s? Because I noticed in the table for nm100s there isn't even an entry for map 07, yet Sedlo's speed record clearly shows it is possible to avoid 100% secrets.

I think this may be the only such "mistake" in the current tables for the IWADs.

emailking said:

the table for nm100s there isn't even an entry for map 07, yet Sedlo's speed record clearly shows it is possible to avoid 100% secrets

That's only because it fails to trigger, not because he didn't enter the "secret" sector. Not really a basis for having a separate category. :)

Grazza said:

That's only because it fails to trigger, not because he didn't enter the "secret" sector. Not really a basis for having a separate category. :)

Right, I understand. I'm just saying if the criterion is (and I think it should be) that 100% secrets is avoidable then this shows it is, and then where do you draw the line between whether or not a secret truly is unavoidable or just should be unavoidable? Well obviously it's not a big deal. But I feel like it should count for both, even if it's a technicality. Consider if the player enters all the secret sectors in an attempted max demo, but the secrets don't register, then historically the demo hasn't counted.

about map07, I think that there should be a nightmare secrets entry because it's faster to do it without taking the secret. To get credit for a secret, you have to step on it, not just fly over it(that's why you have to take care in map16 to register the megasphere secret), so doing a rocket jump will not register it. I noticed that indeed in one of the TAS demos(haven't checked them all) this is true.

Btw, I got a nightmare for rq18 in incoming which is pretty cool because now there are only 2 left in Requiem. I'm looking at rn14 right now and I think it ought to be possible, but right now it seems hard as hell. I just can't find a way to deal with those 3 arachnotrons and all those gunners. I don't know about rn29 as I haven't looked at it seriously.

A nice watch, the two last barons are the adrenaline point :)

Squonk said:
I improved lv29 UV time to 1:38
Yeah, I'm happy :)

Cool, I was watching your CFD submissions and was thinking "hey he's getting close to the COMPET-N record". And now...

Hitherto said:

What is it?

Well the CFD-N is a french demo activity where you can send demos even if they aren't a new record.
Btw all my demos sent here from the last year sucks, just for the sack of fun :P

Anyway, Squonk are you planning AV27-Max for now ? Ryback have a practice run under PrBoom if you're interested to see how he've done it.

That's not planned, as I really have to work hard until july. Maybe, one day, if it remains undone...

Anyway, nice to see that the CFD-N is interesting even for foreign doomers :)

Squonk said:

I improved lv29 UV time to 1:38
Yeah, I'm happy :)

Good one. Should be labeled UV Speed, not just UV, though.

re: NM! vs N100S: I can see the logic behind Ryback's proposed system, although I don't agree with it 100%. Still, historically NM! was first and perhaps is the more important category of the two. I'll need to edit the /incoming summary and move some demos around, then.

Xit Vono submitted another two first-evers:
Alien Vendetta MAP07 NM!
Memento Mori 2 MAP25 UV Speed
I agree with him saying in the TXT for the latter that

This map really should have more entries on it

This map and the whole of MM and MM2 is what DOOM2 could have been like if id had hired a real level designer to work alongside Romero and American.

Yup, you are right.
Can I ask you to delete the demo from incoming? I would like to up it again, with a more complete txt - and, of course, this correction.

You can rename the existing ZIP to something like "delete_this" and then upload an updated copy. Or you can PM Ryback or Opulent.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do it at the moment, the computer on which I keep the admin password is currently experiencing a little downtime. Try Opulent.

Could an admin delete ps11-054_invalid.zip please?

Edit: Thanks :)

Ok, there are two new demos by me:

Plutonia MAP11 NM100S 0:54
Nothing special, just I had to do this, you know :)

Plutonia MAP12 Nightmare 0:10
Perhaps this is more interesting :)

Hi guys,

I'm new here at Doomworld forums, but i'm submitting some demos to the CFD-N along with Squonk and some others players.

I just got a few minutes ago a 0:21 run of e4m2 in nightmare speed. I know it's the same time than AdamW but it's recorded with prboom and i didn't check with LMPC yet (since i don't have it).

I heard that prboom demos aren't valid for compet-n. So is it always true ? Or can there be some exceptions ?

Btw, here is the demo:

N4M2-021

I improved the beginning of the run by killing only one sergeant and just giving one shot to the first imp on the swith platform. Then my running sucks (so does my BFG) so any doom god could beat this and get 0:20 or below that i think.

Thank you for your answers
and good night!(for me at least)

You should have at least one second below the current record anyway...

Ok i see that CFD-n players still think i somehow cheat so i'm gonna get it with doom.exe you'll see :p
Still thx for the answers

Guiddqd said:

Ok i see that CFD-n players still think i somehow cheat so i'm gonna get it with doom.exe you'll see :p

No, it's just that those are the compet-n rules. You asked about eligibilibity for compet-n, after all.

Grazza said:

No, it's just that those are the compet-n rules. You asked about eligibilibity for compet-n, after all.

I was only joking, and btw my point wasn't only to get a compet-n entry (i was quite sure that it couldn't be valid) but to show that a new record can be done :)

Guiddqd said:

Still thx for the answers

Hey, we've never said that D8
Guiddqd : this can help you.

I found out something interesting today.
I ran heretic.exe under Win2K for the 1st time. I found it weirdly smooth and slower than under regular win98/dos. In comparison, the EXEs are somehow jerky and not smooth under WinXP.
Under WIn2k it is very smooth and noticeably slower, making playing easier...

So I decided to manually time a heretic demo. I picked a long one, Vono's e4m1 in 12:15. I clocked it at 15:34 from start to finish.
That means win2k runs heretic.exe at about 80% normal speed. Wouldn't we consider that an unfair advantage... ¿?

I didnt try with doom2.exe yet, but I will when I get time... does anyone have a similar experience? maybe it is just my system that is slow like this...

How do you upload demos to Compet-N incoming?
Because this FTP server is displayed as Html document even if I access there, I cannot upload demos there.
I do not experience these kind of things though I am using an FTP server usually.

Grazza, Thank you!
I have understood this cause that when I use HTTP proxy I can't upload demos even if I use FTP software.
Actually, doom2.net has not permitted the access by domain of Japan. Therefore, if I want to access there, I can use only proxy. I was not able to fimd a FTP proxy that can be used now though I desperately looked for it.
Every time, may I request the surrogate of uploading demos here?

Tatsurd-cacocaco, sure, if you have any new demos let us know and we'll happily upload them.

Demos recently uploaded to incoming:

That's a nice new jump to the red key in rq09. Heh, and not getting the SSG early in the speed run was made possible with a sneaky escape through the bars later (to avoid confronting the teleporting demon with only a shotgun).