Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Cool, skogs, so a new record I guess. Skipping the invisibility on 12 is the best improvement I noticed. Weird jumps or glides like map 6(?), 17 and 19 would make this run annoyingly require many attempts for me since I suck at jumping and don't know how to glide. I used to think it was weird that vile went to 31 but skipped 32, then realized 31 is just probably a quicker (or better/safer/whatever) route than the normal-exit route of the previous level.

Cool. The most prestigeous C-N record back in norwegean hands.

How awesome the movie is!

Henning wrote:
Anyhow, it was fun doing a doom comeback, its been like 5years since I played it seriously. I had to spend a considrable amount of time to get back into it though...the rustyness was unbelivable when I started in early january. So around 7 almost 8 months to get this, good thing I didn't knew :)

Thank you very much for really, really great effort. Doom and speedrunning is still going strongly.

30nm3112.txt:
you never know when I'm back,
could be days\months\years

Truly! :)

Great movie after all, without any sings of "rustyness".

Well, that 30nm rec deservs a thread of its own. The king of pop might be dead, but the king of nightmare is still with us.

Too bad about map06 and map30, map06 in particular was painfull. Even with those fuckups tho, its a nice clean shave from the old record, and stylishly superior on top (no offense to stx who is a wonderfull player in his own right, and I'm biased anyway).

I hope whoever decides to go for this, unless Henning does 10 more on his own, decides to beat it using proper dosbox or an old OS. Its a known fact that xp and win2k gives slowmotion related effects with 1.9 exe.

Bet this aint the last 30nm we'll see. Incorporating the FJS jump in map29 is legendary however.

Congrats.

Andy Johnsen said:

Too bad about map06 and map30, map06 in particular was painfull. Even with those fuckups tho, its a nice clean shave from the old record, and stylishly superior on top (no offense to stx who is a wonderfull player in his own right, and I'm biased anyway).

None taken, I think everyone was more partial to Henning's performance in the run. It has been his run, even while I held the record. :)

I am surprised it was him that was the next to improve it again though, since I can tell there's other people recording who could have done it. Good luck, literally, to anyone who tries to use the newer glide tricks in the run. ;)

gggmork said:

Cool, skogs, so a new record I guess. Skipping the invisibility on 12 is the best improvement I noticed. Weird jumps or glides like map 6(?), 17 and 19 would make this run annoyingly require many attempts for me since I suck at jumping and don't know how to glide. I used to think it was weird that vile went to 31 but skipped 32, then realized 31 is just probably a quicker (or better/safer/whatever) route than the normal-exit route of the previous level.

There are a few more changes, actually enough to make it under 29min. Minor changes to cut of a few secs here and there is for me huge :) the big ones however are only in 12, 22 and 29. 22 beeing the most interesting one as it actually gets easier using the teleporter to the middle via plasma secret for controling the middle better. Doing it this way I've had quite a few times where I actually don't need the supercharge either, and that means another 10-15secs off.

Although you need some practice to do the FJS jump in 29 consistantly it actually gives you way better odds for making the final run to the exit, and passing the hellknights infront of teleporter.

All in all it adds that extra bit of challange to it all. Its like where can you find games that challange you this much in over 10years huh? :)

Scogs, that was sensational. There were quite a few times where I found myself grinning and saying "Hell yeah! That was sweet!" or maybe "NEAT!!" The way you snaked in and out of some areas / between hordes of monsters was, as they say, "poetry in motion". I rarely find half an hour disappearing as if it's 3 minutes... Except when it's either a good book, or a good Doom demo - Like this one!

In short: Loved it.

congrats henner that a great and unexpected run, I didnt think you'd be back to this someday :D

Never_Again said:

And finally, my personal Holy Grail:
Complete TNT UV Max run

I could write a book about it, but for now you will have to do with TXT file in the ZIP. Read it and weep. =)
After eight years, it suddenly all came together within two weeks. Verily, it cometh to those who wait.

over 4 hours! amazing. man, you must have some patience ;)

skogsto09 said:

Finaly got a complete run, its not a huge improvement over Viles 30nm2956 though, but quite "diffrent".

Hope you enjoy it in any case! :)

wow, i thought vile's record would last forever. you would have been even 15-20 seconds faster if the spectres didn't get in the way at the exit of m06. i think i'd have started over at that point. very controlled play, looks almost effortless.

I improved my own Tyson of Memento Mori 2, level 7.

BTW, I think the only three left (undone) are levels 3,13 and 18. Level 3 would be very boring Tyson-style and I'm not too interested, but level 18... one day I'll pull it off. I haven't checked level 13 but it might be possible, while the rest - no way!

m2071742.zip

Memento Mori 2

MAP16 (The Nephilim by Denis Moeller), UV-Speed in 2:21

18 seconds faster than Eugene's demo, mainly thanks to a new... well, I wouldn't call it a trick, it's rather an obvious discovery which I did't see before.

m216-221.zip

After over half a year of Compet-n inactivity, I'm posting two new UV -respawn demos for Memento Mori, which I'm attaching to this post bundled together. One is for MAP32, and the other is an improvement on the current record for MAP05. Check them out as soon as you can.

MM32R520.LMP - UV -respawn on MAP32: The Hidden Slime Factory in 5:20
MM05R353.LMP - UV -respawn on MAP05: Hell's Kitchen in 3:53

mm-tgh.zip

The Green Herring said:

After over half a year of Compet-n inactivity, I'm posting two new UV -respawn demos for Memento Mori

Welcome back!
I liked them tremendously, especially Hell's Kitchen; I got an impression of a cleverly planned route.
I must also confess that I never really appreciated -respawn demos - until I saw your MM2 MAP26 and MM MAP12.

PS Any chances we'll see MM2 MAP08 -respawn?

This is MAP18, Regulate by Matthias Worch, done Tyson-style.
From my beloved MM2, of course.

But before I claim my victory, can someone confirm there is one monster that cannot be killed? There is nothing written about it on Doom Wikia. OTOH, I just saw two UV-Maxes (by Eugene and Anders) and they also have one survivor. Where is that monster??

m2183247.zip

vdgg said:

Welcome back!
I liked them tremendously, especially Hell's Kitchen; I got an impression of a cleverly planned route.
I must also confess that I never really appreciated -respawn demos - until I saw your MM2 MAP26 and MM MAP12.

PS Any chances we'll see MM2 MAP08 -respawn?

Cleverly planned? All I did was adapt Xit Vono's max route to the -respawn category. ;)

Also, heh, thanks. I never thought I'd end up inspiring an appreciation for -respawn demos with my own.

As for the MM2 MAP08 -respawn, I should be getting to that soon. I'll do MM MAP08 along with it, too, since the current record is, again, slower than the max one.

vdgg said:

This is MAP18, Regulate by Matthias Worch, done Tyson-style.
From my beloved MM2, of course.

But before I claim my victory, can someone confirm there is one monster that cannot be killed? There is nothing written about it on Doom Wikia. OTOH, I just saw two UV-Maxes (by Eugene and Anders) and they also have one survivor. Where is that monster??

Yes. It's Thing 240, an imp, located northeast of the switch that opens the way to the yellow key, who cannot be killed because he's placed in the void, outside of valid playing space. This makes getting actual 100% Kills (as in, not inflated by resurrected monsters) impossible. Thus, your Tyson demo is valid. I'm going to put something in the Wiki about it ASAP; I hadn't even known that when I first played the level...

kimo_xvirus said:

I might have damaged my brain doing this
Ultimate Doom Episode 3 UV-Speed in 3:47
Enjoy.

Wow. I believe this is the greatest speedrunning feat since the new 30nm. Congratulations.

hm, i've somehow overlooked this demo, good to watch it finally. Great one, kimo! ;) And i second Torr Samaho's feelings on Henning's 30nm, which i have finally checked out (yeh, i'm that slow!).
Don't stop guys, moar killer runs plz! And perhaps we could see something new from ocelot too? ;)

Here are two new UV -respawn demos. Again, one's a tablefiller (suggested by vdgg this time,) and another is an improvement on an existing demo. Check them out.

M208R409.LMP - UV -respawn on Memento Mori II MAP08: Stigmata in 4:09
MM08R144.LMP - UV -respawn on Memento Mori MAP08: And the Dead Shall Rise in 1:44

m_08-tgh.zip

6 demos... only E2M7 and N1S8 were done after my EP3 movie

Hell Revealed map19 UV-Speed/Pacifist in 0:23
Plutonia map26 UV-Speed/Pacifist in 0:45
Plutonia map11 NM-Speed in 0:51
Doom E3M8 UV-Pacifist in 1:02
Doom E2M7 UV-Speed in 0:13
Doom E1M8 NM-Speed/NM100S in 0:48

I think you'll like these runs :)

kimoc-n2.zip

Memento Mori 2 MAP27 NM-Speed in 0:24
Memento Mori 2 MAP02 UV-Speed in 0:35
Alien Vendetta MAP29 UV-Speed in 1:14
Plutonia MAP18 NM100S in 0:09
TNT MAP22 NM-Speed in 0:17 :)))

Again only ps18 and tn22 are new, m202 and av29 are from last month and m227 was done in June
I don't have any more C-N runs I didn't post

kimoc-n3.zip

AweSOME! Skill levels that I can only admire, never emulate :) Amazing runs, amazing skills, very, very cool.

And the text files are great fun to read as well :)