Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

SAV88 said:

You can gain a fair amount of time if you change the strategy on the spiral mountain. Using plasma rifle is not that effective, its damage amount per one cell is much smaller than the one of the BFG. Some of the monster groups on the mountain can easily be destroyed with one BFG shot per each group, while cleaning it with plasma rifle takes way over 40 cells. Others can be handled with SSG/CG/RL. So you can save a lot of cells in order to quickly blast some barons on the top :-)

I just practiced the spiral mountain part while I was changing the strategy. About the strategy, BFG's blast damage is not very effective against a line of enemies. Also, there are usually imps at the front of a groups, so you can't give good damage to tough enemies well. Moreover, you will lose some time if you change weapons frequently. As a result, you can't save time and cells by using more BFG. Xit Vono also mentioned such things in his av201951.txt. However, saving more cells for barons on the top seems to be pretty useful. I will try it.

Thanks for suggestions.

Well, it's tricky to work out an optimal plan of shooting while climbing the mountain, without many redundant weapon-switchings, but still there are a few moments where one can perform a quick, easy BFG shot instead of wasting 80+ cells with PG. So even if not much time can be saved while climbing, this section still can be passed with much more cells left for the upper area. Good luck!

tatsurd-cacocaco said:
Alien Vendetta Map 20 UV-Max in 18:40

I'll keep it up!

Hah, epic ending there, and funny sneaky imp attack near the end. Looking forward to any improvement!

very impressive run tatsurd!!!!
especially you manage to kill cyberdemon within 2 shots of BFG in narrow place and the ending :)
look forward to your improvement too.

Eyegasm! Nice to see AV getting some interest again. And on that beautiful map, ah. Top-class bfging, and nice smooth sailing everywhere. And lol at 3% agaist a mastermind :D Good luck in improving this.
No comments on Revved's pf18? I think it was amazing to say the least. So quick that i had to watch it twice to get the full impression of the run. Definitely going to watch Requiem runs later this week. Will comment then of course.

Great run! Certainly possible to improve further (under 17 minutes), but this is already a huge two minute improvement over the previous record.

The spider in the exit room is always tricky, because nine times out of ten, one has low health going in.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Alien Vendetta Map 20 UV-Max in 17:41

Thanks, everyone. I managed to maintain my motivation, though it was almost collapsed when I was killed by the spider in the exit room twice in a row.

Qaatar said:

Great run! Certainly possible to improve further (under 17 minutes), but this is already a huge two minute improvement over the previous record.

The spider in the exit room is always tricky, because nine times out of ten, one has low health going in.

Yes, it's humanly doable in under 1000 seconds (16:40). But nevertheless, congratulations on a brave, skillful, highly hardworked demo! It stands out among a number of long maxes.

Not all parts of your run went smoothly, but you did a great job to survive this chain of dangerous, dramatic situations at a fast pace of playing.

Wow... I'll check these out now!

I think we'll move these later to the Compet~n thread, although for now they're fine here, so people can get to know about them from the thread title.

Creaphis said:

Sweet! Quick make another one and then I can kill a whole hour!

Heh, no can do (for my part). I'm full of doom for this year :p

I watched Paska/Looper's 30uv before and I'm about to watch it again. The risky shortcuts are really impressive. One moment that really stuck out for me, though, was the end of MAP27 - waiting for the archvile to open the door while in full view of him seems like an extraordinarily dangerous thing to do. According to the text file, though, this was the first run attempt that made it past MAP26, so I guess this tactic effectively had a 100% success rate. Even so, there's a way to make this tactic much safer. There's a glitch that lets the player take only 20 damage from archvile attacks under certain conditions, and I'm not sure how well known it is, so I made a demo that shows it off. In it, I get blasted by the archvile six times, but only take 120 damage total.

lv27-heh.zip

Nice trick Creaphis :)
Well, actually I made it two times to the level 27, the other result is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU6JNz0L99k this thing happened very rarely but it indeed wasn't nice when I first time got there.

When I was training that level (using idfa and trying to use ammo like it was in actual uv30), the door trick worked about 80-90% of the time and the usual time was 21-23. With that 20 damage trick it would be 95% hehe.

ok ive seen looper's 30uv and.. congratulations!
you are the only people other than gusta that can do the pacifist rj on 07 reliably. :) it almost looks easy.. but then you had like a panic attack around YK on map17 and that reminded me how hard worked it must have been.

Yes, wonderful stuff. Plenty of these tricks were ones that had long been considered way too difficult/random for movie runs. It just shows what a lot of practice and precision can do. Nice planning and execution.

Amazing!!!!
About 30uvrun, everyone knew if this is possible but noone can do it. Simply amazing.

About 30coop... Awesome just awesome. One of the best coop demo ever, maybe the best really.

DoomHero85 said:

How did he get the exit door to open in map 27??? I don't get it.

The door can be opened from the reverse side without a key. The player can't make use of that himself (short of using IDCLIP!), but certain monsters can, depending on the thickness of the door. You just need to persuade the arch-vile to want to move in that direction.

The basic idea is old (1996), and has been used in compet-n runs for a long time, though previously in movies mostly in a slower form (devised by Vile for his 30nm runs).

http://www.doom2.net/~compet-n/index.cgi?action=nostalg&page=map27

See also Ksutra map23 pacifist. And others.

I think it depends on how fast the monster moves, since the arch-vile is so quick on his feet (guess it's only fitting that he helps out speedrunners ;) but I may be wrong.

Vile said:

I think it depends on how fast the monster moves, since the arch-vile is so quick on his feet ... but I may be wrong.

No, you're right.

Vile said:

(guess it's only fitting that he helps out speedrunners ;)

My Jade Earth demo is sort of a weird case: very near the end of the demo, an archvile opens an 8-unit-wide door from the wrong side, but this only has the effect of putting me in more danger. Even though archviles may be helpful on occasion, they always have your worst interests in mind.