Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

It's also badly named, actually. Maybe the author will pop up to provide a ZIP with a text file and the standard naming format.

tatsurd-cacocaco, your pn32-105 is impressive stuff, and your demos for pl24 is good too and quite smart.

But I'm confused by this fact: your old pn32-108 recorded with keyboard only, when all your next demos recorded with mouse, using quite unusual controls technique.

GF50 SL50               #   439 (12.54s) 
GF50 SL36               #   440 (12.57s) 
GF50 SL18               #   441 (12.59s) 
GF50 SL36               #   442 (12.62s) 
Secondly - you are wrong in txt, these demos recorded NOT with Final Doom executable. (As well as old pl24-335 by Razak)

The Green Herring said:

I have uploaded all three of these now.

The Green Herring, Thank you.

Hitherto said:

But I'm confused by this fact: your old pn32-108 recorded with keyboard only, when all your next demos recorded with mouse, using quite unusual controls technique.

Do you know my old record demo? I can't enter demos in Compet-N. pl32nm108 is not mine.

Hitherto said:

Secondly - you are wrong in txt, these demos recorded NOT with Final Doom executable. (As well as old pl24-335 by Razak)

I'm sorry. I take care from next time.

and, I would upload this demo before getting pn32-105
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/pn32-108.zip

tatsurd-cacocaco said:
Do you know my old record demo? I couldn't enter this demo in Compet-N. pl32nm108 is not mine.

Bang. That coincidence... But whose?!

I don't understand why everyone kill the second cyberdemon... When I was trying this map, one shot was enought for a knockback. After that grab the key and run, keep it alive, it won't be annoying you.

Mr.TF said:

I don't understand why everyone kill the second cyberdemon... When I was trying this map, one shot was enought for a knockback. After that grab the key and run, keep it alive, i won't be annoying you.

Did such a situation happen many times? Certainly, this is one of tactics to improve a record in map 32. But judging from my experience, it rarely succeeds. If the second cyberdemon is not at right of the room where a red key exists when you return to this area, you will be killed by him while fighting the third cyberdemon.
So, I chose to finish the map safely when I succeeded in killing the first cyberdemon with two shots of BFG9000. Still, it doesn't succeed easily.

Btw, I have a problem. ":" key(key numeber is 40) don't work in Dosbox0.72 even if I set this key. I'm using this key as "strafe left" in every source ports. How can I solve this problem?

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Did such a situation happen many times? Certainly, this is one of tactics to improve a record in map 32. But judging from my experience, it rarely succeeds. If the second cyberdemon is not at right of the room where a red key exists when you return to this area, you will be killed by him while fighting the third cyberdemon.
So, I chose to finish the map safely when I succeeded in killing the first cyberdemon with two shots of BFG9000. Still, it doesn't succeed easily.

Btw, I have a problem. ":" key(key numeber is 40) don't work in Dosbox0.72 even if I set this key. I'm using this key as "strafe left" in every source ports. How can I solve this problem?

Hmm... i didn't experience that... perhaps i had luck all the time :) however i didn't try it a lot, because of the luck factors :P

Btw: why not just use WASD keys?

I'm guessing he's left-handed.

Isn't key 40 near the Enter and right shift keys? In my case that key works in DOSBox. Does it not work at all or just in combination with others? Some key combinations can fail when strafe running or other other multi-key moves are done, I think.

Is it possible to change or disable the 'stop recording' button Q? I keep pressing it without meaning to, since it's right beside the movement keys.
I imagine that could be quite a problem if I want to record something :) ... Running doom2.exe under DOSBox if that's relevant.

I had that problem. I use WESD and my pinky hovers right over where the Q key goes. What I did is swap the Q key with the console key. Try a key swapping utility compatible with NT systems; there should be a few. I think someone recommended one recently in some thread.

DOSBox is allowed, since it's just the base to run Doom on, just like Windows 9x is allowed in addition to plain DOS. Actually, DOSBox may be closer to DOS than Windows 9x's DOS in some respects. Other variants of DOS, such as FreeDOS, are also allowed, as is Virtual PC and such stuff. What matters is the executable.

Whats up folks long time no see, thought it was about time to see what have happen in the doom demoscene again. Any recently achivements as of late in here?. About the dosbox option would that be something that wouldn't be too much of a hazzle to install and get running. I'd imgaine it would be impossible to even get a half working win98SE installation on these new systems these days....

There is definitely still some good demo activity on this board.
Setting up a VM with Win98 would probably be the easiest solution.... outside of using DosBox or similar in XP/Vista. Intel motherboards left win98 compatibility about 3 years ago now.

It is still possible to get a new motherboard to run 98SE on (like this one). Actually, I will upgrade my mobo very soon, but I'll get a used one for very cheap, a Gigabyte s775 mobo and will put a 3.4Ghz P4 processor. That's probably as fast a system that you can get with a single core processor since in 98SE the second core is a waste. And this time I'll most probably setup a dual boot with XP for the first time, as using solely 98SE starts to be a little inconvenient.

So, even if do little Dooming nowadays, I know that I'll be able to run the original exe easily for some time to come :)

HenningD2s said:

Whats up folks long time no see, thought it was about time to see what have happen in the doom demoscene again. Any recently achivements as of late in here?. About the dosbox option would that be something that wouldn't be too much of a hazzle to install and get running. I'd imgaine it would be impossible to even get a half working win98SE installation on these new systems these days....

Heh, well not much news, Compet-N still hasn't updated :) A lot of speedrunning is going on at CFD, there have been some very good nightmare movies there as of late.

myk said:

I'm guessing he's left-handed.

No, I'm right-handed.
At length, I noticed a right, left arrow not used. These key were default (right, left turn). They are set on right, left strafe now. But, because I think that WASD is better, I will try it.

and Please upload these demos.
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ep27-206.zip
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/tn27-400.zip

Btw, I tried making tool-assisted demos. Where should I upload them? And, by what thread should I introduce them?

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Btw, I tried making tool-assisted demos. Where should I upload them? And, by what thread should I introduce them?

You could start a new thread, with a title like "Miscellaneous TAS demos". Or if they are more themed than that (say, you are intending to record a full set of TAS demos for a megawad), then start a new thread for that project.

Or just post in the existing "Miscellaneous Demos" thread, but be sure to state in each post if the demos are TAS.

You can attach demos to posts in this forum. See the sticky threads for instructions if you need them.

I've just uploaded another demo, but this time, it's one of my own. Yes, after over six months of inactivity, I decided to make another table-filling UV -respawn demo. This time, it's Memento Mori MAP12 in 3:04. Check it out, although I must warn it is quite ugly!

Mr.TF said:

Have you tried the normal UV run? I think you could beat my 1:59 easily.

I managed to beat your record. It was not easy, and annoying this situation. I have finished this map about twenty times. I have gotten 2:00 five times and 1:59 two times.

Please upload these demos.
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ev27-158.zip
http://cacocacodemon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ps19-032.zip

Hmm, I can't do glide well. Do it have any knacks? Cack_handed's demos are unbelievable for me.

Nice runs! The only way to more or less ensure a linedef will trigger is not to straferun over it. That might require slowing down for a second, though. Sometimes that effect can be used to benefit a run by not activating something, but it's not reliable so it's only good in a short run (or TAS).

Squeezing through 32-unit gaps seems to have a method of its own. Cack_handed has quite some experience with the trick. Disabling Novert (if you're using it) should help because slight or controlled mouse movements are possible.

PS: I'd upload the demos myself but I'm also blocked.

myk said:

PS: I'd upload the demos myself but I'm also blocked.

I did that before going to bed.

I liked those runs, too! Nice job! Yeah, if you didn't get blocked around the middle of the demo, that ev27 run might be even faster!...