Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Guiddqd said:
But why is the first one invalid?

The demo itself is fine as such, it's just that it would not quality as a COMPET-N demo because of the version.

I've just finished updating the results table (former /incoming results table created by Never_Again). All C-N records not listed in the old C-N site/Doom Wiki etc. are (hopefully) included.

A good time, Eugene!
That baron infighting is very helpful. I could never accomplish it (or maybe 1 out of 10). My best time is 10:04 for this map... Instead of trying to beat those sub 10's, I'll try it on -fast. Besides ammo problems, this map should be doable.

My best time is 10:04 for this map...

If someone holds a max record on m225 he definitely could beat m218-917.

I'll try it on -fast. Besides ammo problems, this map should be doable.

It's would be great to see a fast demo for this map. I never seriously played this level on fast.

A nm & nm100% run on MM30.

mm30s130.zip

Heh, I've got something sensational... Unfortunately, this demo should be on "most miserably failed demos" list, too.

I'm posting it here since it was intented to be a Compet-N record.

MM2, MAP32, Tyson. That one with cyberdemons. Current record 17:35

A few times I was close. DAMN close. But nothing compares to this.

Recorded with Doom2 1.9, but for best effects watch it with PrBoom plus with parameters that enable seeing both cyberdemons' health:
Prboom-plus -file mm2mus mm2 -playdemo m232fail -trace_thingshealth 146 147.

Spoiler

Time of death: 14:51. Monsters left: 1 (cyber). Monster HP left: 32.
What's even worse, a little earlier it had 232 health and I had 30 bullets left.

It's only a game, I know...

m232fail.zip

Memento Mori II:

MAP12 (The Waterway by Orin Flaharty): -fast in 4:22
MAP32 (Dances With Demons by David Kuykendall): Tyson in 17:08

mm2-vdgg.zip

xit-vono said:

Well, I finally got it. This one really frustrated me at times. I'd say it took a full week to get this one.

That's very great! You eventually did tn09, which anyone wasn't able to finish for a long time. Compet-n's table for Nightmare runs on TNT were full!

Jim,
Congratulations on another monumental task accomplished!

Regarding your in-text discussion, I'm absolutely certain Drew (and a select few other players) could have done it over the years, but that doesn't detract *anything* from your run, or indeed the fact that you're the first to successfully get to the exit switch. :-)

(Oh, BTW, I thought I was the only serious player who ever listened to classical music while playing!) :-)

/goes back to lurk mode

In my text file I purposefully avoided claiming that I was a better player than Stx-Vile since that would come across as either delusional or conceited. I do however like to take pride in the fact that I was able to do this where Stx-Vile tried and was not successful. I do not know whether I was better prepared due to filling in holes in the Memento Mori 1,2 and Requiem tables, or if Stx-Vile had less patience, or if real life got in the way. Only Stx-Vile can say. Anyways it feels nice to do this since for most of my dooming career I feel like I have been somewhat overshadowed by Stx-Vile.

Absolutely great accomplishment, and the run itself is really solid - tension flows in the air, action never ceases, and the very last seconds are anxious yet catchy. Kept me entertained till the end, thanks. Keep up the good work!

...and Beethoven ftw! Though i prefer listening to JSB myself while recording anything, he really touches my mental special place and the work flows waaay faster :)

Hello, speedrunners! There's an extremely easy Pacifist to be recorded. Even I could do it in < 1 hour. I'm leaving my first exit.

As for Xit Vono's record, I anticipated something... because of a little bit longer hiatus than between m216 & m206. Xit: any plans for the future (I mean, demos)?

m220p221.zip

xit-vono said:

Only Stx-Vile can say.

I haven't recorded for a while, but basically I looked at it, concluded it was possible, but didn't feel like doing it at the time. I filled in the rest of the Plutonia and TNT levels that hadn't been done yet though, gimme a break. :P

I agree with what Kristian said: that doesn't take away from your accomplishment at all. It was a challenge that required persistence and skill and you pulled it off so congratulations! Not only that, but being the last hole in the nightmare levels, that's a milestone as well, and not the first one from you, so I dunno why people would think you were in my shadow. You have had plenty of accomplishments in your own right.

vdgg: I don't know for sure what I'll do. I have done a little research on es02, which should be possible. I may also consider filling in some more mm2 holes like map15(I need to research this too). mm2 map24 could be good too.

m215 looks insane. Many areas have to be visited more than once, there's no blue armor and the SSG comes very late, but good luck!

----------
Memento Mori II:

MAP14 (A Question Of Time by Matthias Worch and Thomas Moeller): -fast in 20:27

Why is it so slow, you may ask? (a la The Green Herring and his WAR51956.lmp) After all, UV Max record is below 11 minutes. Well,
1. I don't see much room for aggresive play here,
2. There are 36 demons and 12 spectres in this level,
3. I backtrack quite a lot for ammo and health supply.
It's still faster than Migru's UV Max, which was my par time.

m2142027.zip

Looks like the old Peo Sjoblom's record (10:46) is relatively easy to beat with "cheating" (pressing switches from the "wrong" side). I already have 10:42 with big mistakes. I hope I can do better though; if not, ny end of January I'll post it here.

All right, all right, I'm not a perfectionist like some other guys whose demos I admire. Furthermore, this map is not very Max-friendly.

MAP14 (A Question Of Time by Matthias Worch and Thomas Moeller): UV Max in 10:34

m2141034.zip