Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Grazza said:
I think it's just the joy of creating something, which is only enhanced by the difficulty of doing so.

That certainly applies to rn051004; an extended NM demo with lots of action and techniques for holding the monsters at bay. Tough stuff. One curious thing was when Xit was trying to jump onto the window from the ledge after getting the yellow key, constantly firing the SSG. Plus the music on that level is great.

Well that SSG shooting is for timing of course, but in that demo I missed twice I think which is pretty embarassing.

Kristian, I noticed that you made a pacifist for this map, and I thought that a nightmare demo should be possible here. I don't really feel like making a decent demo here so I'll let you try it.

hey Jim, it's been a while I didnt hear form you...

PS : I got your christmas wishes, so I hope you got ours :)

Heh. After reading this, I sat down and tried this map without recording, just to see how it plays. I was quite surprised when I reached the exit :-) Ah, and even skipping the teleporting line worked at the first try. Now I'll just have to sit and record it.

OK, so now I recorded it and uploaded to compet-n incoming. It was really easier that I thought; of course, I took the mega and plasme rifle, then I took the soulsphere, and then the rocket launcher. Which wasted much time. But that's probably ok for a hole-filler. Someone will record a better demo :)

Heheh, hi Jim! :-)
Still not at home so I can't watch any demos (sorry Donce), but ... yes, mm16 isn't too hard in NM. I love that map. Have you tried map 27 NM? Another awesome map, and it should be a nice challenge.

BTW, I did watch rn05 before I left, one of the best NM demos of the year, surely. An absolute thriller to watch. :-D

Good job on mm16 donce. I'm trying to fill holes for mm, mm2 and requiem nightmare. Right now I'd like to do mm07, mm12 and rq23. I haven't looked at mm27, but if you think you can do it go ahead and try. I'm not so familiar with most of the mm and mm2 maps. I'm glad you liked rn05.

Well, I did a bunch of mm nightmare demos. This leaves only maps 9,22,27 and 28 left. I will look at 27, then look at 22 to see if it is possible, and after that I may try some mm2 demos.

I haven't recorded anything for quite awhile and it's unlikely that this will change until Kama Sutra 2 is released. Sorry for that :(

But there's something I want to say for some weeks now:
Of course I'm watching all demos. It's still very entertaining. But what really makes me breathless is Xit's recent bunch of NM demos. They are simply awesome, all of them.

Xit, you've pushed NM speedrunning to a new level! Thank you for that! :)

I agree. The nightmare demos are awesome. Watching these long, enduring, action-packed nightmares may even be better than watching your Tysons!

I knew that people were watching my demos and enjoying them, but it's always nice to here people say that. I'm not so sure about pushing nightmare to a whole new level. Stx-vile is still the best nightmare player in my mind. He did complete TNT and Plutonia except for tn09. My demos are more "fighting style", which means they are exciting to watch, but I personally find the "running style" of Stx-vile more impressive.

I've watched them all and enjoyed them.

Any plans for future NM challenges? I recall Anders mentioning that he thought quite a lot more AV maps could be done on NM, with suitable planning and a fighting approach. There are also eight NMs (01, 11, 16, 17, 20, 23, 25, 29) undone on Icarus, not to mention Ksutra...

Man, you just keep 'em coming :-) Had some very good entertainment while watching the last bunch :)

Well, I definitely haven't run out of ideas for nightmare demos. Next I should try rq15 and rq27. There are also a few for mm2 that I have done TAS demos of that might be doable, such as m203, m214, m216, and m218. Also there are many more maps that could be possible but that haven't been researched yet. I'm sure Anders is right that some maps in av can be done. I'd like to keep on the compet-n wads for now. There's plenty to work on there and honestly I'm starting to get sick of nightmare.

um, anyone fancy putting together updated tables, on compet-n Doom2 MAp07 pacifist is still not filled in, suggesting to me it's not been updated in a few years. And i could read the incoming lists here but am not fluent in the naming scheme

Compet-n naming conventions

Note that there are some naming clashes between Doom2 coop demos and Classic Episode demos, so iwad and pwad demos need to be kept separate if you are thinking of making an automated tool to process them.

thanks, i'll get decoding... looking for a run or three to try out :-)

edit: interesting (after cross referencing the incoming with the website), there seem to be quite a few uv pacifist gaps in the iwads, is there some fundamental reason why there arent any reallllly slow careful entries or am i missing someting?

The missing ones in Ultimate Doom are E2M8 and E4M6, they are both "impossible" for the same reason: the Cyberdemon must be dead to exit the map, and there just aren't enough monsters (or powerful enough monsters) around to kill them.

For Doom 2, the missing ones --> map 2, which is extremely difficult but possible -- Sedlo made a TAS pacifist run in 0:31, and Adam W said he reached the blue key. It just takes lots of luck and lots of skill. Also missing are map 17, which is packed with hitscan monsters, tight passages, and lots of stuff to do (one of the longest speedruns in the IWADs) and topped off with an ending that is nearly impossible for pacifist play (again, it has been done with TAS), and map 26 which should be feasible (again, done with TAS)if you can somehow get to the red key (which I can't really see how you could get to in reasonable time -- i.e. before you get hit too much -- without killing the imps) without an absolute shitload of luck and skill, and get a little lucky with the Baron guarding the blue key. Map 30 hasn't been done but may be impossible by design, which is why it isn't even in the table.

Plutonia has two undone: map 30 (same reason as doom2 map 30), and map 7, where I can't really see how you could get out of the first area without shooting at least one Mancubus at least once (they will kill the chaingunner and zombiemen quickly, even if you can reduce the number of Mancubuses that way).

TNT has quite a few undone maps, most of those maps are prohibitively difficult for pacifist running. Some may be feasible (e.g. not more difficult than, say, p1m7 or p4m1), but TNT has generally attracted little speedrunning interest relative to the other IWADs. One of the undone TNT maps has been done with TAS by Xit.

Just to add to that, UDoom E4M6 has been done Nightmare Pacifist in a TAS demo by Cameron Prosser (Tasdoom; also plays back with prboom(-plus); there's a version converted to play back with Doom.exe and compatibles in here). This of course makes use of the fact that monsters respawn, and so if you can keep the infighting going long enough without dying yourself, the cyber is going to get killed eventually. This is irrelevant for compet-n (NM Pacifist not being a category), and more a curiosity. I haven't really thought about it previously, but I wonder if a complete Episode 4 run could be done on NM Pacifist (sounds like a difficult TAS task for someone with a lot of time on their hands).

Kristian Ronge said:

... TNT has generally attracted little speedrunning interest relative to the other IWADs.

Funny, I would have said that too, before I actually counted them. There are more TNT demos at compet-n than there are for Plutonia, and by quite a clear margin. Naturally there are more for the original iwads than for either Final Doom iwad, but that is to be expected for several reasons.

I think pp07 is possible in TAS. I've been able to get two mancubi killed with the chaingunner before, so using TAS to keep the mancubi from firing back would clinch it.

Nobody mentionned the recent release of dosbox 0.70 which now runs the vanilla EXEs flawlessly on recent computers (it emulates a p2-233 on an amd64 3200+).

It also has ipx tunnelling to play over the internet ... I didnt test this yet, but will soon hopefully :)

I tried it out, and it worked okay (but it "lagged" a bit for me, for some reason). Maybe I have to fiddle around with the settings a bit.

I've reuploaded m226-942 as a zip archive. So if Doug has admins rights he can delete m226-942.rar archive.

Eugene said:
So if Doug has admins rights he can delete m226-942.rar archive.

And there's also that 0k m222-613.lmp that somehow made its way there the 12th.

I dunno who tried uploading my lmp. AFAIK it's not a problem to delete a null size file from incoming.