Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Ok, then I try to do this in doom2.exe, I used prboom, because I had problems with the sounds in doom2.exe.

Mr.TF said:
I used prboom, because I had problems with the sounds in doom2.exe.

If you have a relatively new computer, you could try running Doom2 under DOSBox.

It is still a cool demo regardless of the fact that it is not compet-n acceptable.

Shows he has a lot of talent and should keep doing demos. Just be clear about how it was recorded.

I enjoyed it. :)

Ok, here is a 0:57, recorded with doom2.exe, just to prove.
http://users.hszk.bme.hu/~ft701/ps11-057.LMP

Well to tell truth, after one year playing with prboom I really don't like the origigal doom2.exe. The low res and the Y axis mouse movement are bothering me a lot :(. So I think I will not playing with doom2.exe anymore.

Should I upload this one to Compet-n? It would be my first and last entry.

Mr.TF said:
The low res and the Y axis mouse movement are bothering me a lot

You can disable the back and forth movement by using Novert (which is permitted for COMPET-N). From experience, the way to feel comfortable with 320x200 is to use it all (or most of) the time.

Should I upload this one to Compet-n?

You can if you wish, as it should be compatible.

Yep, cool demo (it plays like a -nomonsters when the Archviles don't come out like that).

General Alert: DOOM2.NET IS BACK!

emailking said:

I liked the demo, but is that actually nightmare? Your text file says "PS11-055.LMP - Ultra Violence" Hope it's just an oversight.

After checking it out myself, I can confirm that it is indeed a Nightmare! demo. Hopefully, the text file will be fixed before the demo's uploaded to Compet-N.

Nice demo, by the way! I agree with myk: If the Arch-Viles didn't make any noise, you'd think it was a -nomonsters demo. Cool stuff! I look forward to seeing further demos from you, Mr.TF.

emailking said:

Cool. Glad it turned out you weren't cheating like some here immediately concluded...

There's no reason we can't be suspicious when one blatantly disregards one of the fundamental Compet-N rules (that demos be recorded with the vanilla executable), especially when the text file says otherwise. However, though I haven't scrutinized the demo, I am willing to concede that it was just an oversight and I hope that Mr.TF will continue to contribute new runs in the future.

Fourthed. Don't let this minor fsckup discourage you, Mr.TF; in the end it all turned out OK. Misunderstandings are eventually forgotten, and the demos speak for themselves years later.

In the meantime, another gap in TNT tables is filled today:
MAP21 Administration Center finally has a -respawn entry of its own.
Damn, I really dig this map!

Reckoner said:

There's no reason we can't be suspicious when one blatantly disregards one of the fundamental Compet-N rules (that demos be recorded with the vanilla executable), especially when the text file says otherwise. However, though I haven't scrutinized the demo, I am willing to concede that it was just an oversight and I hope that Mr.TF will continue to contribute new runs in the future.

I'm perfectly fine with getting to the truth, but the initial comments struck me as overly harsh and judgemental. Conclusions were jumped to unjustly, as we have seen everything had a reasonable explanation. Instead of accusations, we could have asked questions. That's what I think anyway.

I suppose I can agree with that, but depending on one's definition, the claim that he "cheated" was substantiated by LMPC, since Compet-N rules consider non-vanilla recording to be a "cheat." I think that is what Hitherto and entryway meant. To say that Mr.TF was using tool-assistance would, of course, be unjustified without further scrutiny of the demo.

Well, according to the precise wording of the compet-n rules, it is also "cheating" to use regular Doom2.exe for Final Doom demos (as opposed to Final Doom's Doom2.exe). And clearly that isn't heeded at all.

It is simpler, and a more natural use of language, just to refer to it as an invalid entry unless there is clear evidence of bad intent.

Grazza said:
Well, according to the precise wording of the compet-n rules, it is also "cheating" to use regular Doom2.exe for Final Doom demos (as opposed to Final Doom's Doom2.exe). And clearly that isn't heeded at all.

Nah, it says that the following is not allowed (or is "cheating"): Using a different EXE other than DOOM.EXE v1.9 (size 715493 bytes) for Ultimate DOOM, DOOM2.EXE v1.9 (size 709905 bytes) for DOOM2 and Final DOOM, DOOM2.EXE v1.9 (size 722629 bytes) for Final DOOM is not allowed.

I remember, heh, that once Altima uploaded a Requiem or MM2 demo he had inadvertently recorded with The Ulimate DOOM's engine, and it got disqualified.

This entry is a nice one Mr.TF, nice moves in these corridors !
Too bad you are stucked one second in a corner...
You can hear the archies who are teleported a bit after the start.

I don't know how far my fascination with TNT MAP21 will take me, but here is its new UV Max run for all you TNT lovers out there. With Xit, DeDo and myself we only need to get Eternal here over from i.iddqd.ru, and we got a regular crowd. :P

TNT MAP27 (Mount Pain) has finally been done on -respawn: ER27-856.
Odd that I hadn't seen the VPO problem in the Blue Key room mentioned anywhere.

That leaves only MAP09 (Stronghold) without a -respawn entry.

Never_Again said:

I don't know how far my fascination with TNT MAP21 will take me, but here is its new UV Max run for all you TNT lovers out there.

Never_Again said:

TNT MAP27 (Mount Pain) has finally been done on -respawn: ER27-856.

It's always great to see maxes or respawn demos for biggest iwad's maps.

Did you have some Drake O'Brien levels beyond the Evilution's trinity?

Never_Again said:

TNT MAP27 (Mount Pain) has finally been done on -respawn: <...>
That leaves only MAP09 (Stronghold) without a -respawn entry.

Wrong, I forgot about MAP20 (Central Processing). But tonight it received its first -respawn entry as well. =)

Some time ago I remembered trying map09 in -respawn but I was unable to do it. It should be possible, but it is an actual challenge, as opposed to the other undone maps, where I was simply too lazy to make a serious attempt at them. I suppose plutonia needs some -respawns as well.

Hmmm... looking through the files in that iwad collection, I've noticed that I included pn06-105, which can be played through to about 0:50 but then gets corrupted. Xit, I think that's your demo: would you be able to resubmit?

Another Xit demo, ps01-103, actually misses the secret by a hair so it's invalid. I've taken these two out of the pack and deleted them from incoming as well.

xit-vono said:

Some time ago I remembered trying map09 in -respawn but I was unable to do it. It should be possible, but it is an actual challenge

MAP09 really deserves a thread of its own.

Ryback said:

Hmmm... looking through the files in that iwad collection, I've noticed that I included pn06-105, which can be played through to about 0:50 but then gets corrupted. Xit, I think that's your demo: would you be able to resubmit?

Another Xit demo, ps01-103, actually misses the secret by a hair so it's invalid. I've taken these two out of the pack and deleted them from incoming as well.

I thought pn06-105 was Xit's (who else?), Xit please re-up it.
I'll update my Summary accordingly.