Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

I once got a VPO in Doom2.wad

Many years ago when I was playing MAP14 of Doom2 in Vanilla Doom, it crashed me with a VPO. I have also gotten various VPO's in Plutonia (Map18) and TNT (Map27).

In E4M8 of UD, I also got a VPO in the most detailed area of the map, the areas where all the lowering pillars. I did this on purpose by standing on the pillar which I lowered and got up onto and looked towards the bridge so I could see as many sectors. It crashed straight away.

Were you using Doom95.exe or Doom(2).exe? (Doom95's higher resolution can lead to VPOs where they wouldn't occur in the original DOS exes.)

If you can recall exactly how and where you got these VPOs, why not record demos (or savegames) so other people can check them out?

How strange, I don't believe I've ever had that happen in Vanilla Doom. Couple of funny things that reminds of, though:

-In the shareware version of Doom, in E1M8, if you go to one of the far corners of the level and look back toward the "star," you'll see an HOM effect in the sky. This was fixed for the final version of the game.

-In the PSX version of Doom, the game once crashed on me on the Suburbs level. Someone else on here mentioned the same thing, and I believe the cause was that to many of the enemies had been left unkilled, and I had a view of an area where many enemies were visible.

Grazza said:

Were you using Doom95.exe or Doom(2).exe? (Doom95's higher resolution can lead to VPOs where they wouldn't occur in the original DOS exes.)

If you can recall exactly how and where you got these VPOs, why not record demos (or savegames) so other people can check them out?

It was all on Vanilla Doom2 v1.9

Never got one in Map14 (it must have been a really odd location.) I did get VPOs in E4M8 recently, but only after walking away from the map without clipping while looking in its direction (I was comparing Doom's sound code to Chocolate Doom's.)

If you could get them then you can get them now, so you could try going to those locations, to reproduce them.

IIRC, recording a demo of a VPO won't work. When doom(2).exe crashes, the .lmp isn't written. So to display a VPO, one has to record a demo in, say, PrBoom (with doom(2).exe compatibility), go to the area where the VPO occurs, exit, and then "hope" that playing back the finished demo will cause a VPO in the original engine.

myk said:

Never got one in Map14 (it must have been a really odd location.) I did get VPOs in E4M8 recently, but only after walking away from the map without clipping while looking in its direction (I was comparing Doom's sound code to Chocolate Doom's.)

If you could get them then you can get them now, so you could try going to those locations, to reproduce them.

MAP14, it was inside the level. Looking towards the BSTONE2 building near the start, where the first WOODMET1 door is located. It was the only time I ever got it.

The one I found in E4M8 was meant to be, I was deliberatly looking for the VPO.

I was in fullscreen mode all times.

Grazza said:

(Doom95's higher resolution can lead to VPOs where they wouldn't occur in the original DOS exes.)

FYI: It is also true that Doom95 somewhat handles them better than the original .exe's by displaying HOM instead just crashing. That doesn't necessarily mean it can't crash from VPOs, because I've seen extreme cases where it has.

EarthQuake said:
FYI: It is also true that Doom95 somewhat handles them better than the original .exe's by displaying HOM instead just crashing. That doesn't necessarily mean it can't crash from VPOs, because I've seen extreme cases where it has.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure they raised the limit because they were aware that at higher resolutions you would get VPOs. It's likely that at 640 x 400/480 resolution and sceenblocks 10/11 you can get them even on the standard maps, if the visplane limit is 128.

I seem to remember somebody saying that DOOM will actually generate visplanes beyond the 128th, and then does the actual check after having overwritten a considerable amount of static memory with visplanes that cannot be used. If this went far enough, it's plausible the game would go venetian instead of displaying one of the two visplane-related error messages.

EarthQuake said:
It is also true that Doom95 somewhat handles them better than the original .exe's by displaying HOM instead just crashing.

Doom does that, as well; it's not caused by excess visplanes, though.