Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Frederick the Great

HOM Errors

For years now I've often encountered an error when level designing; there are no problems with the level, and yet when certain parts of the mape viewed at certain angles a nasty HOM effect appears awkwardly on the screen. I've noticed it in other wads made by other people too.

What is this error exactly?

Too many lines, or two sided linedefs in sight; that limit was raised after Doom v1.2, but it's still limited (unless you use an extended engine.)

myk said:

Too many lines, or two sided linedefs in sight; that limit was raised after Doom v1.2, but it's still limited (unless you use an extended engine.)

So making a level in Zdoom would prevent this?

I've always been a traditionalist when it comes to doom editing, and have never tried using the features Zdoom offers. I'm interested to learn how to, however. Can you recommend any good guides?

You don't need to use the ZDoom format, as it is just a renderer limitation. Play a map that HOMs with ZDoom (or any other limit removing port) and, well, there isn't any HOM (unless there are missing textures).

ZDoom isn't the only "enhanced" engine. As far as those HOMs go it's just a matter of map size and detailing, plus this stuff depends on what the player uses. You can continue making the map normally but disregarding limits, then tell people that it simply exceeds Doom's normal limits and they will use any applicable engine (Boom, PrBoom, JDoom, Legacy, ZDoom, a hacked version of Doom2, etc.)

If you want to learn ZDoom stuff the best resource would be http://www.zdoom.org

I get other minor errors even with Zdoom. It's not really A HOM, more like a tiny texture bleeding. WHen I view vertain areas of some maps, there will be a verticle line where the walls upper and lower texture disappear and you'll get the old texture bleeding bug. It's very small and it's probably only like 1-2 pixels wide. Any ideas on this? This happens in all the doom engine i've used.

Tormentor667 said:

Move the little vertex about one or two map units or try another nodebuilder (ZBSP, Zennode, Warm)

Nodebuilders have a great effect on this then? What nodebuilders do you suggest to create 3D bridges that i've seen a lot?

It depends on what sort of 3D Bridges. I usually use ZDoom and its 3D Bridge Things to create them but as far as I know, if you want to create vanilla.exe bridges, you need a very special nodebuilder. Otherwise every nodebuilder works fine.

Tormentor667 said:

It depends on what sort of 3D Bridges. I usually use ZDoom and its 3D Bridge Things to create them but as far as I know, if you want to create vanilla.exe bridges, you need a very special nodebuilder. Otherwise every nodebuilder works fine.

Of course! Zdoom has 3D things!

That's helped; thanks for the reminder!