Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutrov71

1024x1024 Competition

Sausage says that you should let peopel have 2 entries
So say like dutch devil - He has 22,000,000 maps (just joking :P) he can get people to test them and the best 2 he enters.

Making things easier for the Judges, So they dont have to play 697,038,927,093 maps and rate them all! (The numbers in this post are not Quite true, But they are not far off. =P)

- sausage -

As far as I'm aware this is a competition where 1 map wins, so I would have thought designers should be concerned with quality rather than quantity (I get the impression some people ae just churning these out). However, I haven't actually looked at any of these maps, so maybe they're all absolutely stunning with well tunned gameplay (in which case I'll shut up).

I suggest people make multiple maps. This is an enhance of winning over others, then again, it's not. When the judges play the maps they will decide 1 winner and that is the winner, while everything else gets placed in 1024 Congestion part 2 wad. That's my 2 cents. If the ammount crosses 32 (most likely it wont) there would be a need of a dual wad megawad ;)

Having that said, I'm already making plans for my next 1024 map(s). If it's against the rules, pity for me then, there are people around who would surely play my maps when I post them and that's enough reasons for me to map them ;)

I don't want to win this contest im making maps for the fun im having with this.
I will finish my third and last map, if people like to play them im happy with that.

Imo the more maps they get the merrier just pick the best map out from each author.
And maybe do the other wads into an seperate megawad like Nmn said.

I don't think the maps are getting out of hand yet. If it does I'll enforce a new rule, but I'd say it's going alright now.

Sorry if this has been answered but i need clarification, can I have ledgers that are out side the playing area of 1024x1024 which hold monsters or does any area that exists out side it is merley for scenary?

Dutch - FFS - change the music at this map.

Mephisto - your map is very good. You made extremly good usage of 1024x1024, gameplay is also surprising and intense. You could spice the map just a bit more... and change the music.

dutch devil said:

But what about the map itself was it any good.

I'd call it "above average"... but I've just played your ritual.wad - and that was absolutely awesome. Very good, eyecatcing detail, which doesn't interrupt the player at all; and it has decent gampelay. But I have a feeling you don't use 1024x1024 to full extent... Or maybe that's just becuase this map is so... cosy.

Weird I thought the ritual was the worst one of the three, yeah im not using the 1024 square to its full extent.
I want to keep my maps somewhat spacey cause I prefer those kind of things.
But to make them spacey you lose some other things I think, like interesting gameplay.

Im fixing that midi too it sounds very crappy ingame it sounded so nice with mediaplayer :(
Allready found one that will suit the map and sound alot better :)
Thanks for the feedback.

[edit]Music has been changed.

I finally got round to playing the entries so far and there are some nice maps.

I thought ravage's maps were ok, but too cramped for my tastes. My favourite was actually the 512x512 map. I think it would play well as a 1024x1024 sized map if it was enlarged a bit without too many changes to the layout.

I liked Mephisto's map. Generally not too painfully cramped for the most part, and height variation was used well. Zin's short Mountaintop Base was also nice looking, had some nice boom effects at the start, and didn't feel too cramped.

The two maps I've played by Dutch Devil were both really good. They aren't cramped, and clever use of the outside area makes them feel much larger than they actually are. Personally I think you use the 1024x1024 area perfectly. Any more and it'll get annoyingly cramped. I'd try out your third map if rapidshare actually worked for me on my home computer...

I wasn't so keen on Dwarf Town. Far too overcramped for my tastes, with too much fiddly detail getting in the way. Chacha on the other hand was excellent though, and probably my favourite so far. Mainly because, rather than being a standard map in a small space, it uses the 1024 area in an interesting way. I'd definitely like to see more novel ways of using the 1024x1024 area.

Anyway, keep 'em coming :P I'm kind of tempted to make some myself just for the sake of it, I've had a few Boom ideas knocking around since the original Con1024.

If you only could add more light variations, more light gradients around torches and LITE5s. You're not limited to sector number, are you?

I'm sure this is a fairly obvious (and stupid) question, but there are still spots open, correct? I've been considering making a contribution to this...

Yeah i am sure there are some free spaces.

btw, i may do a third one, but i am not sure as of yet.

- sausage -

Tango said:

I'm sure this is a fairly obvious (and stupid) question, but there are still spots open, correct? I've been considering making a contribution to this...

Of course you can.

AgentSpork said:

This map to author ratio is getting a bit out of hand. If we're going to have people each making 500 (rough estimate) maps, then I would suggest that authors pick the map they think is best to be judged when the competition ends. This isn't an official statement as I don't make or enforce the rules, it's just an idea I'm throwing out there in hopes that Lutrov will actually see it, considering he hasn't been on IRC pretty much since he started this competition.

That'd be good- but there had better be a runner up megawad included like we did with 10sector, plus all maps that were submitted.

besides, what channel would we have? #1024? surely not #zdoom.

Csonicgo said:

Hey, that's not a bad idea; I actually like it. Something like that would probably be nice.

Csonicgo said:

Just because you're banned? ^_^

Phil1984 said:

Sorry if this has been answered but i need clarification, can I have ledgers that are out side the playing area of 1024x1024 which hold monsters or does any area that exists out side it is merley for scenary?

As long as the player cannot move into these areas then they're perfectly acceptable.

Ok new rule: -Maximum number of wads you can enter is 3.

If you've made more than this just select 3 to use in the contest.

Lutrov, would it be possible for me to make an improved version of Despair 1024 and submit it for this, or was that made too long ago?

these maps are rockin'.

ok, requests.

Someone PLEASE make or at least attempt a small webpage to link to these wads submitted, as well as a small description, to ease the pain of searching the soon-to-be large thread later.

Tango said:

Lutrov, would it be possible for me to make an improved version of Despair 1024 and submit it for this, or was that made too long ago?

That should be fine, although you're better off making an entirely new level.

Lutrov71 said:

Ok new rule: -Maximum number of wads you can enter is 3.

Ah damn I was just about to post screens from my fourth entry :(
You allready got three from me so no more maps from me, I had fun working on them.