Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

Final Fantasy I Grey Imp/Goblin Guard preview

I started working on this the 22nd. The head is pretty much done, but I still need to add the hair and glue the face and hood together.

These are the reference images I'm using. On the left is Yoshitaka Amano's artwork for the creature and on the right is the sprite from the NES game.

can't stop staring at Mancubus. wait what did you do to his face? tell me it's a removable mask. I have to try that medium you use for sculpting. maybe next time you can make a tutorial :D

Sweet.

Why not use the FFII/IV sprite instead? It's the same thing as the FFI one, only it's 16-bit.

Shapeless: No Mancubi were harmed during the photo shoot. The skin tone of the Goblin Guard and the Mancubus are almost identical (while the paint used was identical, I used slightly more wash on the Mancubus--he's a bit browner), so I couldn't resist popping his face on--it still cracks me up.

Technique-wise, this type of modeling/sculpture is pretty simple. Just grab yourself some newsprint, white glue, and whatever else strikes your fancy, and experiment. Take a piece of Kleenex/paper toweling, bend/twist it into the rough form of whatever shape you want, then mummify it with glue and paper while continuing to knead it into shape. That's pretty much all there is to it in the most general sense.

-_DLD_-: I just got done playing Final Fantasy I&II: Dawn of Souls on GBA, which is what inspired me to download a crapload of Yoshitaka Amano's Final Fantasy monster art, which in turn inspired this figure. I'm shooting more for the Amano look than anything else, I'm mainly using the sprite as a rough color guide for painting. But, yeah, the FF4 Goblin sprite is much better than the NES one. The GBA version of FF1, which I've been playing, also has updated SNES-ish sprites, but I wasn't able to find a screen capture of the monster from the GBA game anywhere (I can turn on my GBA and look at it the bestiary anytime I want though, so it's no big deal).

Lizardcommando: You'll probably have to wait longer than usual to see the finished product--I bought six new PS2 games and one GBA game Saturday morning, I haven't got any work done since. :) It'll get finished, just not with my usual speed.

Here's the unpainted body, which is pretty close to complete, as well as the unpainted dagger that will hang from the belt.

Legs have been added. They look a little wonky at this point, but they ought to look better when painted (I hope). These should be the last mid-construction photos, all I have left to do now is the arms and sword which shouldn't take long at all. So, look for the finished product early next week.

Well, here he is, finally finished. I actually completed him yesterday, but I didn't take the final photos and get all my website updates in order till this morning.

More info:

http://www.geocities.com/kramwartap/goblinguard.html

VileSlay: I was mulling over the idea of making a party of super-deformed Light Warriors from the Final Fantasy I game yesterday, but I really haven't decided what my next project is going to be.

WOW!!! that came out excelent the colors on the outfit are nice and complimentary and the blade is sweet. top marks bro!

a nice diorama of an ff battle scene with a good enemy grouping would be nice. I miss that old school ff style.