Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

Does Gzdoom supports Hexen (now it works sorry, yet other questions)

Or is it my with my crazy computer? I tend to think so as you can summon characters from these games there.

This is very embarrasing, I tried again, same error (the annoying Windows message that only let you "close" or ask for "details", yet the music plays), I tried once more, and now it works, yep my comp it's crazy, fortunatly I'm going to change it these days.

Yet I find the same two minor diferences that make Zdoom don't be a 100% true convertion of Hexen.

-Monsters can infight with bosses (Heresiarch and Korax)
-Heresiarch's purple balls still damage him

And a bug for a bad configuration that I can't solve yet, in the skies there's a place that looks as a giant HOM, same happens in DOOM, I'll post a screenshot if you want.

Vegeta said:

-Monsters can infight with bosses (Heresiarch and Korax)

Does this mean that Hexen's bosses are never attacked by other monsters?

EDIT: I checked it myself and fixed it in GZDoom. We'll see when ZDoom incorporates it as well. I reported it as a bug.

Yep, in vanilla Hexen and Heretic monsters get damaged but don't turn against bosses (with the exceptions of the player bosses and I'm not sure if Death Wyverns).

Something else that I noted is that the sprites seem to be like a 20-25% bigger than in vanilla Hexen, the oddest thing is that this doesn't happen when I play with DOOM 2 (ported by Gzdoom).

Edit: thanks a lot for your attention

No, the sprites aren't higher. Hexen's view height is 7 pixels higher than Doom's (48 instead of 41) and ZDoom doesn't handle this. Fortunately in GZDoom I already have some code to handle view height so changing this is a matter of 2 minutes. Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't able to cross-check this with the original because the DOS EXE doesn't work anymore.

Thanks again, feel free to ask me for whatever gameplay comparision with the DOS vanillas you find necessary.

I'm Sorry if this is turning tedious, I checked that new way to hurt the Heresiarch (touching the floating cubes being inmortal) and found that's a Zdoom bug, in vanilla Hexen these cubes only explode with impact when the Heresiarch dies and are set free. Not that important though.
Do you think you could set the Heresiarch to not be hurted by the explosion of his purple attack, I think it's not the flags that cyberdemon and spidermastermind have to avoid splash damage as the fighter boss isn't damaged by his own explosions (as in vanilla Hexen) but hurted by explosions caused by players or other monsters.

Graf Zahl said:

Fortunately in GZDoom I already have some code to handle view height so changing this is a matter of 2 minutes.

Any chance you'll be releasing a version with this fix any time soon? There's a Hexen wad in the forthcoming /newstuff Chronicles (old stuff edition) that may well be affected by this issue, and I'd like to see if it is cured by this change.

Graf Zahl said:

I wasn't able to cross-check this with the original because the DOS EXE doesn't work anymore.

Ever heard of a little program called DosBox?!

Sure, it doesn't work for me. As soon as I run a game in it that tries to change the video mode it's over.

Have you tried VDMSound? It runs Doom fine (albeit with shitty sound), providing you've CLI2NOP patched the .exe.

Graf Zahl said:

Sure, it doesn't work for me. As soon as I run a game in it that tries to change the video mode it's over.

Do you for some reason run it in fullscreen? Also, DOSBox can start in 320x200x8 and Doom engine games run in that so...

TheDarkArchon said:

Bear in mind not all computers are the same. For example, my comp HATES Legacy but some others can run it without a hitch.

It doesnt matter. He said video mode change. DOSBox in a window (320x200x8 window) MAKES NO VIDEO MODE CHANGE WHATSOEVER TO PLAY A DOOM ENGINE GAME. fin.

Even if it did it would just resize the window. Horrendous.