Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Am I the only one lame enough to buy the doom movie DVD?

Dose thou share thy shame?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Dose thou share thy shame?

• Ha ha fag. No.
    • Uh... maybe
    • What is so lame about the doom movie? it has the rock!!!

What were you trying to get, and couldn't you just take it back?

I uhh....

Setting aside my lameness for a moment, I'm going to take a look at the bonus features of the DVD

No audio commentary.
it's has your standard "Making of" stuff, including the famous 1st person sequence, as well as a feature on doom 3 and the original doom. including a few words from John Caramack himself. If you're wondering if it's worth buying the DVD for any of it, the short answer is 'no'. it's just your standard "OMG doom's gr8" stuff. the only thing I got from it was the chance to play the "name that level" game I always play when I see footage of the game I own.

Thumbs up on the Red Dawn buy. An underappreciated classic.

As for Doom... my brother-in-law bought it On Demand. Ten minutes into the movie, I fell asleep. I woke up for the final fight sequence. You know, I suppose it's meant to be the big climax... but it was wholly unspectacular. It's like something you'd see in the first scene of a kung-fu movie. What I did see was fucking horrible and EXACTLY what I expected to see.

So a big "fuck you" goes out to the schmendricks who said I couldn't judge this movie when I hadn't seen it. It's no coincidence that it was every bit as terrible as I expected, and exactly the KIND of terrible that I assumed. Ooh, although I did miss 45 minutes of crawling around in the dark and the oh-so-crucial-and-awesome-it-totally-makes-the-film first person sequence! So I could be completely wrong.

Did you get the unrated version? I've read that one is somewhat more enjoyable than the theatrical release, at least.

The unrated version just has a woman zombie with exposed ass and tits. That’s it. I rented it just to see what was cut from the theater print.

Once again I end up as a minority. I liked the Super Mario Bros. movie. I liked Mortal Kombat and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. And, despite not making any references to Hell, I liked the Doom movie, because they managed to capture the feel of the game. That claustrophobic walk down a darkened corridor, unsure of what might come through the walls at any moment.

So that's it. I'm not ashamed of saying I liked this movie. Feel free to direct your flamethrowers towards me.

AndrewB said:

Mmm The Shining...

Heh, I just got to see the original Shining in a movie theater last weekend and A Clockwork Orange two weeks before that.

Doom (movie) failed as a mirror of the games. It failed this totally and completely.
Yet, in spirit, it does uphold the values of Doom. It's simple, brutal, and has that whole Doom vibe thing going on. So in this respect, I enjoyed Doom as a spiritual brethren to the games.

Technician said:

The unrated version just has a woman zombie with exposed ass and tits. That's it. I rented it just to see what was cut from the theater print.

I thought there was some more slop and gore?

Not the best of doom movies, but an awesome action movie to me. Plenty of surprizes and fragging all about. Tis good. :D

The extended version has more than just the woman zombie, there are other scenes that appear that aren't in the movie version. And some existing scenes are a little longer. And in my opionion, the FPS sequence is classic. I see this movie as a promising intro into the DOOM universe. Just like how the first spiderman was kinda lame imo, the second one kicked ass. The sequels in the works(for spiderman) also look very promising.

baronofhell said:

Just like how the first spiderman was kinda lame imo, the second one kicked ass.

I thought it was the exact opposite. The first one was quite good, while the second just dragged on and on through the first half of the movie.

They made DocOc a sissy in the second Spiderman. I mean intelligent arms. At least the first had a descent Green Goblin. And that over dramatic train scene is just too much to stomach.

Ichor said:

I thought it was the exact opposite. The first one was quite good, while the second just dragged on and on through the first half of the movie.

Whole-heartidly agreed. I much prefered the first to the second.

Gokuma said:

Heh, I just got to see the original Shining in a movie theater last weekend and A Clockwork Orange two weeks before that.

I actually dislike The Shining even though the acting is good; just not scary enough.

I'd be inclined to agree, up until the part with the guy in the dog costume. Unexpected, to say the least.

Bucket said:

I'd be inclined to agree, up until the part with the guy in the dog costume. Unexpected, to say the least.

I thought it was a bear costume.

I pre-order it and thought it was decent.

The Rock didn't kill that movie, the movie companies and ID killed it.

Eh, I got the unrated version the day it came out. I actually liked the Doom movie (saw it twice in theaters). Sure, they changed some major parts of what made Doom what it is, but I also expect them to change stuff in these sorts of films anymore. Like Jehar said, it keeps Doom's values and is sort of like a spiritual brother to the game.

I got it...today...Never seen it..they say courosity killed the cat..and thus it shall most likely kill me..But hell..I got it also just to have,..ya know...

Yeah.. renting it was enough for me. Probably due to the intoxication at the time of watching it, but it wasn't quite as terrible of a movie as I thought it would be. I think that was mainly due to reading/posting/discussing/expecting about how horrible of a movie it will be. I had no expectations at all.

Going into it expecting nothing at all, there was no way to feel any disappointment. I was able to enjoy it for the mindless crap that it was. I think the movie would've been more exciting as one fast paced action/gore first person sequence.

A 90 minute first person sequence woulda been bitchin. At least if it sucked it'd be a cinematic accomplishment. There's no cutting just one consistent scene being shot entirely by a single camera.

Each the take would mean the task of filming the entire movie. It's easy to see why they got a seperate director to do the first person sequence.

I thought the DOOM movie was great, I even preordered it and have watched it probably 10 times.