Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

PrBoom Updates

I notice the compat option for tag 666 on E1M*: the source says this was the case in pre-1.666. I don't think I've ever heard that before. Is this a mistake?

No. This is correct. In earlier versions Tag 666 also worked for the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. UAC-Dead.wad used this and is unplayable with most source ports.

Bloodshedder said:
Too late to be an April Fool's joke,

Heh, perhaps they even waited through April 1st to avoid any confusion.

Jon said:
I notice the compat option for tag 666 on E1M*: the source says this was the case in pre-1.666. I don't think I've ever heard that before. Is this a mistake?

Try playing Doomsday of UAC (UAC_dead) with The Ultimate DOOM (with its executable); both the Barons of hell and the Cyberdemon have an effect there with the old code. Apparently this worked all the way to v1.9, and was changed when they added the fourth episode.

Why does it need a compat flag? It's not like people accidentially use tag 666 in maps with barons or cybs or whatever.

Graf Zahl said:

No. This is correct. In earlier versions Tag 666 also worked for the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. UAC-Dead.wad used this and is unplayable with most source ports.

I know about the UAC_DEAD issue: I wrote the patch to prboom to make UAC_DEAD playable!

The UAC_DEAD bug is that 666 would be triggered by the death of the last boss monster for any boss monster: so you could trigger it up to three times.

This switch is that tag 666 applies on any of E1M* (i.e. 1-7+9, as well as 8). Also it was ultimate doom that broke UAC_DEAD, so 1.666 would be the wrong compatibility level too.

Kristus: No wads we know of rely on the post 1.9 behaviour, and so fraggle does just change it back for chocolate doom: but who knows if there is one out there?

edit: To clarify, you can't play uac_dead with 2.4.0.

Excellent -- a new version of Prboom that works out-of-the-box on non-Windows platforms! This should be a Top Story. April Fools' is over, surely you can take Scuba Steve's latest autofellation down now?

Jon said:
I know about the UAC_DEAD issue: I wrote the patch to prboom to make UAC_DEAD playable!

Ah, I see, it's something else.

Hmm, haven't checked, but if PrBoom incorporated PrBoom+'s expanded demo compatibility choices, you should be able to run (The Ultimate, or not) DOOM with Doom (pre-ultimate) v1.9 functionality. Though even if so, the code would also have to fix the tag's applicability on that compatibility mode (no idea if PrBoom+ considered this.)

Bloodshedder said:
No, but if you tell myk to hurry up with /newoldstuff, that will shove it off the Top Story spot.

I'll tell him...

/me whips self

Faster, bastard!

Jon said:

To clarify, you can't play uac_dead with 2.4.0.

It's not clear for me.
I'm not very familiar with UAC_DEAD, so i launched it by using 2.4.0 first with the normal (three-episodes) 1.9 iwad and then with the ultimate iwad.
Then i was walking through it with iddqd and idkfa enabled and reached in both cases the end of the level. Of course i missed some events that the player is expected to experience. Which of them is the problem?

Greetings
Funduke

fraggle said:

It's good to see PrBoom and cph are still alive.

Yeah. I was getting worried.

Jon said:
To clarify, you can't play uac_dead with 2.4.0.

myk said:
Hmm, haven't checked, but if PrBoom incorporated PrBoom+'s expanded demo compatibility choices, you should be able to run (The Ultimate, or not) DOOM with Doom (pre-ultimate) v1.9 functionality. Though even if so, the code would also have to fix the tag's applicability on that compatibility mode (no idea if PrBoom+ considered this.)
Faster, bastard!

glboom24.exe -iwad doom.wad -file UAC_DEAD.WAD -complevel 2 -playdemo UAC_DEAD.LMP

It does not work correctly :-/

entryway said:

glboom24.exe -iwad doom.wad -file UAC_DEAD.WAD -complevel 2 -playdemo UAC_DEAD.LMP

It does not work correctly :-/

Could you please send the demo to Colin and me? And did you try without -complevel 2?

RTC_Marine said:

nm fixed it, I replaced sdl and sdl_mixer with eternity's sdl.dll/sdl_mixer.dll

On which system are you? Windows version and SP etc.

proff_fs said:

Could you please send the demo to Colin and me?

You can get the demo here. It was recorded with Doom.exe 1.9 (i.e. not Ultimate Doom's Doom.exe, despite its location in the archive).

This demo does play back correctly (and more generally the map is playable) with prboom-plus, using -complevel 2.

entryway said:

It does not work correctly :-/ [/B][/quote]The patch I wrote is at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1223337&group_id=3396&atid=303396 . The last version I wrote was buggy, as it only half-implemented a new compatibility level. Earlier versions used an existing compatibility level.

If I can get prboom+ to compile I'll look at adapting this patch to it.

Jon said:

Although looking at cph's comments on the sf.net bug, that was the intention.. I shall investigate further.

Grazza said:

But successfully compiling prboom+ outside a Windows environment would be nice step forward.

It should be easy without launcher and alternative mouse support

Grazza said:

You can get the demo here. It was recorded with Doom.exe 1.9 (i.e. not Ultimate Doom's Doom.exe, despite its location in the archive).

Okay, and what PWAD are you using - my copy on UAC_DEAD isn't even on E1M8, so the demo doesn't touch it. There are lots of hacked/updated copies around, so we should agree which one we are trying to get working...

This demo does play back correctly (and more generally the map is playable) with prboom-plus, using -complevel 2.

Hmm, so the opinion is that the 666 linedef change occured at between doom/doom2 1.9 and ultdoom 1.9? I had assumed (not having done any research) it was after 1.666.

So -complevel 2 certainly won't work with PrBoom 2.4; try -complevel 1?

kristus said:

Why does it need a compat flag? It's not like people accidentially use tag 666 in maps with barons or cybs or whatever.

Are you kidding? Have you looked at the assortment of crap that is typical early doom 1 pwads? People had crap editors and hardly knew what they were doing. Most of them have tons of lame bugs: HOM, reject table bugs, tutti fruiti, linedefs triggering actions on tag 0, ...

Perhaps I should do you people a favour and make PrBoom incapable of playing any pwads which predate v1.9 ;-)

cph said:

Are you kidding? Have you looked at the assortment of crap that is typical early doom 1 pwads?

THe operative term being 'crap' here. Does anybody really care about these gems from a time long gone? ;)

Okay, that's conclusive.

UAC_DEAD works in 2.4.0. The demo plays back fine with -complevel 0.

Apparently I marked the comp_666 fix for complevel 0 (doom 1.2 compat) only. So that's the one that works.

Graf Zahl said:

Does anybody really care about these gems from a time long gone? ;)

:)

Greetings
Funduke

Actually some of those among us -- myself included -- do value ports that can run more than 50% of the idgames archive dating from before 2000. I'm sure it has been tempting to all of us to just rip out the compatibility, but then we all might as well use zdoom right?

Once the confusion over this BossDeath fix is concluded, I'll see about implementing it in Eternity also. I was under the previous understanding that it was any monster could activate the effect on any ExM8 map, not any E1Mx map -- very big difference here. I have editing tutorials from AGES ago which clearly state that BossDeath (of course then known only as "magic codepointer #1") only worked on ExM8 maps. Were they wrong?