Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cack_handed

'Cervantes' Mode Episode Runs

I was looking through some old threads and saw a reference to 'Cervantes' mode:- you only use the mouse, no touching of the keyboard allowed at all. It was reassuring to find at least one other person sometimes plays like that - it makes me feel almost normal!

These are the controls I use for 'Cervantes' (note two button mouse only):

Mouse left/right = turn
Mouse forward/back = move
Mouse left button = fire
Mouse right button = strafe on
" " " double-click = open

It looks like an impossible setup as there is absolutely no way of changing weapons. This is the real challenge, and it turned out to be a fascinating puzzle to work out how to get around this restriction.

There was a Doom2 Episode 1 One Handed thread a few months ago that inspired me to complete these runs, but I didn't feel like posting them at the time. So here they are, no fannying around with skill 3 or basic exit runs, let's do it properly:-

Doom 2, Episode 1, Ultra-Violence, 100% kills and secrets, Cervantes 5015uv01.zip

(A bit slow, but no worse than half the speed of the curent record)

Doom 2, Episode 1, Nightmare!, Cervantes 06nm1358.zip

(Sorry I didn't finish, but I can't do that anyway even with both hands)

Ultimate Doom, Episode 4, Ultra-Violence, 100% kills and secrets, Cervantes ep4-4131.zip

(Surprisingly easy to do this one, again it's slow but better than half record speed)

I'm afraid these are more proof-of-concept demos than ones that are exciting to watch, but I hope you enjoy them anyway. I've put full comments for each map in the readme files, but you might prefer to try Cervantes style for yourself without seeing them, just for the fresh perspective it gives on completing familiar levels.

Hmmm, scepticism??? The trouble is you would need very high resolution cameras to make out enough detail of hands and screen to check the demo is legitimate, which would be ridiculous for something that's only meant to be a bit of fun. For instance in your video I can't even tell what game you're playing - you could be watching an episode of Thundercats while wiggling the mouse around for all the detail I can see ;-)

cack_handed said:

Hmmm, scepticism??? The trouble is you would need very high resolution cameras to make out enough detail of hands and screen to check the demo is legitimate

No, no
I meant that it would be funny to see it.