Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Doom RPG

Hi,

I recently obtained a copy of Doom RPG, which you may know is an entirely new turn-based Doom roleplaying game for mobile phones. Anyway, I've been reverse-engineering the level format with the hopes of eventually possibly writing a level editor for it. Here is my work so far:

Maps of the Doom RPG levels
Graphical view of the BSP tree in Sector 1
BNF-like description of Doom RPG files (incomplete)

What still needs to be done:

• Figure out the complete level format
  • Figure out the format of other files (the .bin files, mostly)
  • Write a BSP builder
  • Write a level editor
How many people here would be interested in making their own levels for Doom RPG?

I wish there was a PC version of Doom RPG :(

You da man, fraggle. Doombuilder config anyone? :-P

Yeah, Doom Rpg on the PC would be nice please. Editing custom levels would be bitching, although isn't it essentially like wolfenstein in terms floor/ceiling stuff?

POTGIESSER said:

Yeah, Doom Rpg on the PC would be nice please. Editing custom levels would be bitching, although isn't it essentially like wolfenstein in terms floor/ceiling stuff?

You'd be forgiven for thinking that by looking at the levels, but as far as I can tell, the engine is somewhere between Wolf3d and Doom. The player moves in a 32x32 grid but it seems to be possible to lay out walls in any arbitrary manner. Look at the round pillars and sloping corners, for example. However, the levels are still completely flat like in Wolf3d. Certainly internally it is using a BSP tree to render the levels.

I've been doing wolf3d mods for a while now, and I'd be interested in making levels for the doom rpg. I just need to buy it and get it running on my computer. If I purchase it, how is it possible for me to download it to my PC? But, yeah count me in.

fraggle said:

The player moves in a 32x32 grid but it seems to be possible to lay out walls in any arbitrary manner.

Walls not being restricted to 90 degrees I knew about. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Ringman said:

I've been doing wolf3d mods for a while now, and I'd be interested in making levels for the doom rpg. I just need to buy it and get it running on my computer. If I purchase it, how is it possible for me to download it to my PC? But, yeah count me in.

You normally buy it through your mobile phone provider. It may be possible to transfer it to your computer using a data cable.