Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragon

DOS editors on XP

O.k., I've been wadding in Doom for quite some time now, and have mainly been using Doom Builder. I use ZDoom as my main source port, and run on Windows XP (on the PC, not literally running on it...).

Before I installed XP, I used a few programs like DeHackEd and DMapEd. Now that I use XP, I came upon a problem running them, and, of course, any other Dos program (considering that XP doesn't support 16-bit MS-Dos).

Basically, I ask: Is it possible to use these Dos-based programs on Windows XP, or do I solely have to use Windows programs?

WhackEd2 is a good alternative to DeHackEd.

As for the other program, you could try changing the compatibility options by right clicking on the .exe and clicking properties. I've gotten a few "broken" DOS programs to work by changing stuff in here.

Although thats not what its 'marketed' for DOSBox works pretty well for this sort of thing if you for some reason absolutely cannot get it running in XP normally.

I have no problems what so ever running DeHacked under XP. In fact, I'd say it runs better under XP than it did under '95/'98 which always gave me problems with DeHacked.

I also find dehacked works perfectly for me in XP (Home). Are you using XP Pro? That might be rather different in this respect, but I don't know for sure. And of course there are different versions of XP Home.

Is it possible that you haven't set up dehacked correctly? It needs to find a copy of the DOS exe to work on, and it needs to have a dehacked.ini to tell it where to find stuff. Note that you may need to edit dehacked.ini manually.

Enjay said:
I'd say it runs better under XP than it did under '95/'98 which always gave me problems with DeHacked.

Really? Hmm, on my (Windows 98) system I don't recall any real issues with DeHackEd (freezing, terminating with errors, or stuff like that.) The only thing is that it'll interfere with some stuff; like for instance if I play an MP3 it'll stutter or become silent as I type into DeHackEd.

It was nothing too serious with '98. Just a very occasional glitch. Perhaps, very rarely, it could stop responding and I'd have to alt-tab out (if it would let me). Using it a few times in a session seemed to make the rest of the system a little unstable and prone to problems too. Again, nothing major. Under XP I don't think I've had a single problem with it. All aspects of it work as intended and both it and other programs have been stable when using it.

DeHackEd is functional for me under XP, but it tends to crash for me when I switch between certain modes. I figured everyone experienced this. Sorry. Using XP Corp.

The differences between XP versions do not affect the way it runs 16 bit programs (except in XP Pro x64), so if it runs in, say, XP Home it'll run in XP Pro, XP Media Center, and XP Tablet PC.

Dosbox and D-fend are your friends... the only way I can get NWT working, and I was so desperate to run one of enjay's old skool wads, I ran doom under it once...