Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Dweller

troubling questions

I am having difficulties opening .wad files in doom from doom builder. every time I attempt to test a map doom gives an error message that says that it has been modified and to receve an original copy contact id software. can this be fixed or do I really need an original copy of doom?

Also, how do you create custom texures?

Shadow Dweller said:

I am having difficulties opening .wad files in doom from doom builder. every time I attempt to test a map doom gives an error message that says that it has been modified and to receve an original copy contact id software. can this be fixed or do I really need an original copy of doom?

After that message appears, does the game run normally after you press a key? Unless something else is wrong, that's just an annoying message that's in there because iD doesn't give technical support for Doom if it's running a PWAD.

after pressing the enter key it does run fine but it starts on a previously selected level, like doom 1 E1M1 "hangar". it won't play my level. of course i could also be doing something wrong. could it be a windows xp problem or does it need to be in doom's directory?

That's normal behaviour too - the game starts on the first level of the game. It won't automatically go to the level you have replaced, if you have replaced a later one.

If your pwad is, say, E3M5, then you will need to type in a cheat code to warp to it:

idclev35

Put the wad in the same directory as doom.exe, then at the command line type "doom.exe -file yourwad.wad"

isnt there a "warp" parameter in the original doom? I thought it was like -warp 23 or something.

just type "idclev" and the level number. if it's doom 1 the episode then the level. for example, idclev23. that will take you to episode 2
level 3 of doom 1 or level 23 of doom 2. it depends on what you are playing when you enter the code.

So, what is the actual problem? Do you not know what number your map is? Are are you using the wrong iwad?

I did not know that it needed a map number, and i'm pretty sure i have the right iwad. but for some reason doom will not allow me to play a custom level, then it brings me to a level i previously selected in the pregame setup. is it possible that i have the wrong version of doom, the collector edition. do i need a special kind of doom to play a custom level like zdoom?

I'm guessing you're calling your map something else then e1m1 in the .wad.

When you open the wad in Doombuilder, a box should pop up. What does it give for the "Configuration" and "...the maps shown below"?

No, that's the name of your wad-file, i was asking what you called your map marker lump inside the wad-file.

Load your wad in doombuilder then hit F2. What does it say in the Level name box? It should usually say MAP01 for doom2 maps and E1M1 for ultimate doom maps. If it doesn't, change it.

I don't know if Doom Builder does that; but if its very easy to change the map lump name to something other than what the game normally specifies, the editor has to be fixed. It should at least give a warning dialog if you're about to change a required lump name into something unusual. Nonetheless, I doubt the issue is related to the lump name format.

Shadow Dweller said:
yes i am using doom95

Read this thread; as someone there had a very similar issue recently. A post there explains what has to be set on the launcher for a custom wad to run.

When you start a new map in doombuilder, the dialog asks for the map format, and the map name (which specifies the map lump name). It can be easy to confuse the map name with what you want to call the map (eg. "The pit") instead of the actual map lump name.

myk said:

Read this thread; as someone there had a very similar issue recently. A post there explains what has to be set on the launcher for a custom wad to run. [/B]

i read the thread, but the guy there was using a port. i don't have a port. do i need one?

something very strange happened. i opened doom 2 to make sure somthing was there, as i was answering someone's question about doom music, and the game opened with my level. i don't know how, i don't know why. but it seems that my grandfather's computer is nicer than my evil, sadistic computer. so far, it is the only one that let me play my level.

the last thing i remember doing is changing the level name (in the window that usually pops up upon beginning the creation of a new level) to MAP01 for doom 2. it didn't work at first, but then at that moment, hours later of course, it started working and it was able to play what little of the level i had already made.

i will try the same for my computer. if it does not work, i shall return with the new information.

'till then i thank the people who guided me through this.