Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

Quake - the secret exit to nowhere

This was probably answered years ago, but what is the point of the secret exit in Shub-Niggurath's Pit?? In the PC version, it just takes you back to level 1, and in the N64 version, it just makes the game freeze...

amusing in DM when players accidentally trigger the special exit brush.
but OT, I assume that is for people who have not found all the runes. (???)
I guess you need them to reach the end.bsp, so that was a dumb idea...

What the hell would players be doing up there anyway?! It's not exactly a place where you'd accidentally end up...

Even without the runes, you can still beat the game. So if by some weird chance you did reach Shub's Pit, it wouldn't really affect the ending anyway.

the trigger_changelevel is needed so it can define the "next map" to change to after the level has ended by fraglimit or timelimit, or exit hit. Otherwise, the map will just load itself again not changing to any other level (and a server would hate that)

You guessed it. You need to grab the Quad in the secret room, then carefully watch where the spike is so you can teleport out to Shub's island.

ducon said:

Huh? How can it be reached? Rocketjump+quad?

Watch the demos (specifically the "Runs" - it should be clear from the times which were the ones recorded after the trick was spotted). The current SP records use a grenade jump (not quadded), from the entrance to the pit/cavern itself. [The Quake SDA site seems a bit slow today, but it is working.]

BTW, this exit isn't used in movie runs because you're not actually finishing the game. It's OK for single-map runs, because you are exiting the level.

Kristus: the runes aren't really anything to get excited about.

kristus said:

Runes? Secret exit? I need to play Quake again. :o

I’m currently replaying Quake with Tenebrae. It’s good even if sometimes the FPS goes from 100 to 20. 8-|

Ledmeister said that there were other bizarre secret exits like this in the game, but he didn't remember where, except that you couldn't reach them without cheating. Anyone know where they are?

I found another odd glitch when playing the 64 version, but I don't remember where it was... I rocket-jumped on top of an end-of-level teleporter, and suddenly teleported a few rooms back into the level... I'll have to look for that one again.

EDIT - The teleporter trick worked in "The Tomb Of Terror" (N64, at least), but that wasn't the level I did it in the last time though. I guess as long as the level ends with a rectangular teleporter, and you can blast yourself on top of it, the glitch works then... Haven't tried the PC version yet though, 'cause I don't have that anymore.

EDIT 2 - My 'rule' doesn't always apply; the exit of "Azure Agony" doesn't have a hidden teleporter on top of it. I think I figured out why, but I'm gonna have to do some experimenting first...