Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Odd Eye

Strange effect

I was just building this level and when I tested it there was the Hall of Mirrors effect even though I didn't forget any textures. I read somewhere you can also get the HOM effect when there are too many lines in a room. Is this true and if so how can I get rid of it?

If you are using doom2.exe and want to keep it that way, this thread might be of interest to you: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36097

The only way to rid your map of visplane overflows is by reducing the number of sectors in view at the problematic errors. Now excessive numbers of sectors are not what directly causes VPOs, but reducing their numbers will decrease your chances of getting one in most (if not all) cases.
If VPOs are severe enough, they can crash the game, so you can either revise the map so it doesn't contain VPOs and label it as "doom2.exe safe" or you can leave it as is and require users to use a "limitless source port", which is basically any source port :)

EarthQuake said:
If VPOs are severe enough, they can crash the game,

A VPO will always terminate it. The VPO (too many visplanes in sight) and the HOM (too many two-sided lines in sight) are different issues. They can both come up when a map is complex or detailed.

Uhm... it could be caused by polygonal sectors, especially if they contain several sides and are concentric! I use such a structure to create good lighting effects or columns, but their controindication is the apparition of little HOM effects or "slime trails" effects, which can appear also in good source port like ZDoom. A good nodebuilder, such as Zennode, should be able to get rid of them! ;)