Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spase

Ending to the Shores Of Hell

In the ending image of the Shores Of Hell, What are we looking at?

At first I thought we were looking at Hell, floating above some mysterious Hellish underworld, Then I thought that we were looking at Hell floating above Deimos and that all those spikes in the foreground were the mountains of Deimos, Then I thought that the floating Island was just a chunk of Deimos (Or the entirety of Deimos) floating above Hell, and that Hell was depicted as a misty pink field of jutting wooden spikes. Which of these are correct if at all?

Deimos floating over Hell (which you just rappelled down to.)

myk said:

Deimos floating over Hell (which you just rappelled down to.)

maybe. it seems that hell took a chunk of deimos that you were on and took you for a joyride.

deimos is most likely just an asteroid orbiting mars. it's not round like our moon, but angular. it's dimensions are only 15×12×10 km so I think thats what they were trying to portray, a small asteroid-like moon floating over hell.

I always thought the floating island was a floating island Doomguy is trying to get, because on the floating island is the spidermastermind plotting his hideous world domination plans :D

Csonicgo said:

maybe. it seems that hell took a chunk of deimos that you were on and took you for a joyride.

Joyride? LOL. Don't make me blow up!! :)))

VileSlay said:

deimos is most likely just an asteroid orbiting mars. it's not round like our moon, but angular. it's dimensions are only 15×12×10 km so I think thats what they were trying to portray, a small asteroid-like moon floating over hell.

That's damn right. Check en.wikipedia.org, search for Phobos and Deimos; they have asteroid-based shapes.

ALSO: That image made me think that INFERNO (ep3) = MARS. Red mountains, no doubt. Even though they're croissant-shaped :D

Terra-jin said:

Which brings us to the question: are the demons actually Martians?

heck why not :)))?

Ebon said:
ALSO: That image made me think that INFERNO (ep3) = MARS. Red mountains, no doubt. Even though they're croissant-shaped :D

Yeah, but the story says Deimos disappeared off the sky (i.e., it went to Hell.) That's how the invasion began; the UAC/military messed with the Anomalies throwing shit between them, so eventually they managed to activate something that allowed Deimos to be sucked into Hell (or "Hell's orbit") and from there the monsters hopped onto Deimos and then teleported to Phobos.

Coopersville said:

It's the floating Angel Island. Knuckles lives there.

Haha, hilarious. I'm glad to see I'm not the only STH3/S&K fan here :-p Anyways, one thing I never understood about the storyline is that in Doom 2, during one of the little intermissions, it's referred to as an "alien" invasion! Also, how is "Thy Flesh Consumed" supposed to relate to the original Doom story? Like, where is it supposed to take place?

I have troubles making connections weather id wanted it to be aliens or truly demon (I believe the second) although if demons were to invade earth they would be classified as aliens. Like the Pine beetle up here in Canada.

Picture Inferno is the journey into Doom 2.

GoatLord said:

How is "Thy Flesh Consumed" supposed to relate to the original Doom story? Like, where is it supposed to take place?

I believe that "Thy Flesh Consumed" takes place in the burning city you see beyond the rabbit head at the end of Inferno. The place has been totally fuck'd up by the demons though so that would explain all the wood, green marble and flaming blue torches. Just like the Deimos base. (Do you really think that astrophysicists would be weird enough to put flinty lions head sculptures on the walls to activate their machines? I don't think so.)

Spase said:
I believe that "Thy Flesh Consumed" takes place in the burning city you see beyond the rabbit head at the end of Inferno.

I'd say it takes place inside the impaled rabbit's head.

Spase said:

I believe that "Thy Flesh Consumed" takes place in the burning city you see beyond the rabbit head at the end of Inferno.

That's just the intro to Doom II. Thy Flesh Consumed didnt seem to have a pictorial setting to tie in with the 'story'.

it's quite simple really:

and the happy little green fellow is our hero. if you look closly, you can see that he has ouchface! take a look:

long way down you see.

Captain Red said:

it's quite simple really:

The Island of Speedrunners floats over hell itself!

Oh, that part of the story always cracked me up... Rappelling off a moon. And I don't blame our hero for making an ouchface at that one bit, either.

Would be lovable to see that in Gzdoom. Uber hard even with details reduced, but certanly posible.

Anybody ever do a good fanfic of the doom story? Something better then the shitty books. It'd be nice to see a genuine fan's interpretation of the plotline.

That's probably flesh, like in those nasty pink textures that you find throughout E3.

If you look closely at the sky in E3 you will see the big columns rising amongst red and pink smoke, with noticaebly bright spacks of light near the bottom. This implys that the columns are rising amidst a thick bloody smoke. Blood doesn't act like that, in a fire it would just curdle, but in Hell, Anything is possible! I guess the pink mist was meant by Adrian Carmack (or Kevin Cloud I don't know which one did the backgrounds) to be a more carnal and disturbingly visceral interpretation of the smoke of the fire and brimstone of
Hell.

Spase said:

If you look closely at the sky in E3 you will see the big columns rising amongst red and pink smoke, with noticaebly bright spacks of light near the bottom. This implys that the columns are rising amidst a thick bloody smoke. Blood doesn't act like that, in a fire it would just curdle, but in Hell, Anything is possible! I guess the pink mist was meant by Adrian Carmack (or Kevin Cloud I don't know which one did the backgrounds) to be a more carnal and disturbingly visceral interpretation of the smoke of the fire and brimstone of
Hell.

but it's pink

Ringman said:

Anybody ever do a good fanfic of the doom story? Something better then the shitty books. It'd be nice to see a genuine fan's interpretation of the plotline.

Do I even need to say it? IMPSE!