Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

overriding sky models in jdoom

I have the environment pack, which under models, has sky1, sky2 etc - I want to know how to turn them off to allow a pwad to use its on sky, short of deleting them. I also want to be able to use models at the same time.

DaniJ said:

How are you launching jDoom and where have you installed the pack?

\data\jdoom\textures

Yeah, I should be using the resource/environment pk3, but it just doesn't work for me. And doomsday kickstart 2 launcher - again, because it works better than snowberry for me.

\data\jdoom\textures

Why have you put it there?

The environment pack uses 3D models (skyboxes) for the skys. It is distributed in "run-from-zip" form (PK3) so it should NOT be unpacked if you want to be able to toggle it ON/OFF easily.

Just install the PK3 into /data/jDoom and then turn it ON/OFF via the checkboxes provided in KickStart.

And doomsday kickstart 2 launcher - again, because it works better than snowberry for me.

Would you mind explaining why your using KickStart instead of Snowberry. Snowberry is IMO, FAR better than KickStart ever was.

KickStart has been superseded by Snowberry and is no longer even distributed as part of the deng project (Doomsday).

For future reference:
The Offical Doomsday forums is located at NewDoom. Here:
http://forums.newdoom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

DaniJ said:

Why have you put it there?

The environment pack uses 3D models (skyboxes) for the skys. It is distributed in "run-from-zip" form (PK3) so it should NOT be unpacked if you want to be able to toggle it ON/OFF easily.

Just install the PK3 into /data/jDoom and then turn it ON/OFF via the checkboxes provided in KickStart.
Would you mind explaining why your using KickStart instead of Snowberry. Snowberry is IMO, FAR better than KickStart ever was.

KickStart has been superseded by Snowberry and is no longer even distributed as part of the deng project (Doomsday).

For future reference:
The Offical Doomsday forums is located at NewDoom. Here:
http://forums.newdoom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

1) PK3's just don't work for me
2) snowberry, while supporting PK3's, is far, far slower than kickstart. Maybe not for you, but for me, it is. It used to be quicker, but when I got kickstart working properly with everything, and quicker, *and* having an interface that's more streamlined, I ditched snowberry. Maybe a MOVE batch file would work?

1) PK3's just don't work for me
2) snowberry, while supporting PK3's..

Since they work for you with Snowberry it sounds like your doing something extremely odd with your Doomsday installation.

Snowberry is far, far slower than kickstart.

Works fine for me. Can you explain how/when it is slower than KickStart?

Incidently, why is execution speed an important factor in a launcher for you? Unless you are experiencing HUGE problems (like 10+seconds waiting for Snowberry) I don't see any issue.

Execution speed in a launcher such as Snowberry is quite low priority (though for me, on my system - it's hardly a slouch).

Maybe a MOVE batch file would work?

Probably yeah but it sounds like your Doomsday install directory is fubar anyway, so I would suggest you simply start over and isntall things afresh.

Using a batch file to do this though is completely unecessary if you are using Snowberry (and even with KickStart). It sounds like you are trying to patch your way around problems instead of fixing them.

Incidently, Doomsday 1.9.0 will likely ignore stuff unpacked into the Doomsday base folder anyway, since that is how most of the problems start with user installs.
Read the dev discussion and proposed 1.9.0 directory structure changes here:
http://deng.sourceforge.net/blog/?p=37

There is simply NO NEED to unpack stuff into your Doomsday base folder. All of the existing resource packs are in "run-from-zip" format.

DaniJ said:Incidently, why is execution speed an important factor in a launcher for you? Unless you are experiencing HUGE problems (like 10+seconds waiting for Snowberry) I don't see any issue.

Up to a minute for models, 2 minutes plus for levels. Jdoom dir isn't fubar, I've removed everything except what's essential to run.

Up to a minute for models, 2 minutes plus for levels.

Are you talking about Snowberry or Doomsday now?

Please be more specific and give more details of when, in which app and with what configuration your problems are occuring with.

DaniJ said:

Are you talking about Snowberry or Doomsday now?

Please be more specific and give more details of when, in which app and with what configuration your problems are occuring with.

Snowberry, when launching both the game, and levels, with the resource and environment packs enabled. Snowberry slow? Horrors! But it is...

That is still no help to me.

When does the slowdown occur? Is it AFTER you click the "Play" button in Snowberry?

How have you got the packs installed in Snowberry?

with the resource and environment packs enabled.

You do realize that Doomsday is bound to take longer to load with all the resource packs enabled.

DaniJ said:

That is still no help to me.

When does the slowdown occur? Is it AFTER you click the "Play" button in Snowberry?

How have you got the packs installed in Snowberry?
You do realize that Doomsday is bound to take longer to load with all the resource packs enabled.

After I hit play - R_init_md2, and "precaching" a level. I know snowberry is meant to be faster than doomsday with resource packs enabled, but it just doesn't seem to be so. D2 map01 is slow enough to load, I hate to think how slow eternal doom would be...

After I hit play - R_init_md2, and "precaching" a level.

If thats when you are getting the "slowdown" then its Doomsday which is taking longer NOT Snowberry. Once you hit "Play" Snowberry (the launcher) invokes Doomsday (the engine).

R_Init is the routine which precaches stuff like textures and models. Obviously this will take far longer to complete if you have all the various resource packs enabled.

I still do not understand how when launching Doomsday via Snowberry, with all the same options and resource packs enabled - can cause Doomsday to run slower than if you had launched it with KickStart.

Can you please give details of your Doomsday Snowberry and KickStart configurations.

D2 map01 is slow enough to load, I hate to think how slow eternal doom would be...

Something is obviously wrong somewhere if that is the case. D2 MAP01 takes a fraction of a second to load on my machine with loads of the extra resource packs enabled.

DaniJ said:

If thats when you are getting the "slowdown" then its Doomsday which is taking longer NOT Snowberry. Once you hit "Play" Snowberry (the launcher) invokes Doomsday (the engine).

R_Init is the routine which precaches stuff like textures and models. Obviously this will take far longer to complete if you have all the various resource packs enabled.

I still do not understand how when launching Doomsday via Snowberry, with all the same options and resource packs enabled - can cause Doomsday to run slower than if you had launched it with KickStart.

Can you please give details of your Doomsday Snowberry and KickStart configurations.
Something is obviously wrong somewhere if that is the case. D2 MAP01 takes a fraction of a second to load on my machine with loads of the extra resource packs enabled.

As far as configurations go - pk3's recognised by snowberry, enviconment and model packs, doomsday - everything extracted, both running D3D, 1280x1024, 32bpp. Apart from that, everything's identical. Would a directory listing help?

Would a directory listing help?

Yes please.

Also, which version of Doomsday are you using in combination with Snowberry?