Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

PSX black demons

I don't know how many of you have played the PSX Doom version but there is an extra monster in it (sort of) that is basically just a pink demon except it's completely black and shadowy looking (kinda like the nightmare imps in Final Doom), not to be confused with the black/grainy partially invisible demon. I've had Doom for the PSX for a while but I never really played it (I don't know why) but I started playing through it the other day and I noticed this demon was more powerful than any other demon in any other game (except maybe some source ports that I don't know about cuz I've never played any). Anyways, this demon takes 5 hits from the shotgun to kill. Every other kind of demon (pink demon, pink partially invisible demon, black/grainy partially invisible demon) in every other Doom game takes 2 hits from the shotty (if your aim is decent). I'm wondering if most of the communtiy on here knew about them (except people who have actually played PSX Doom). This is mainly directed at hardcore PC gamers who don't play consoles. My guess though is that they are on source ports too but I don't really know. It's just something new to me.

Final doom doesn't have an nightmare imp there never was one.
The nightmare demon was pretty strong it took about 5 shots at close range from an shotgun to kill it.
I believe around three shots from an ssg, haven't played psx final doom in a while though.

It looked nice though, black more visible than an spectre with an blue-ish glow on it from what I can remember.
It was used in psx doom also.

This demon actually has a greenish glow to it, not blue. So far, I haven't fought one with a ssg yet cuz I'm playing through Ultimate Doom but heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I came across a ssg cuz hell, there are monsters from Doom II in Ultimate Doom on the PSX. Also, I swear there is what they call a nightmare imp in Final Doom, it's completely black. I'm pretty sure it was Final Doom.

Edit: Actually, I think it was the Master Levels that has the nightmare imp, cuz I played it on the Xbox and there is no Final Doom port to the Xbox, just Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Master Levels.

no, I already know about the Nightmare Imps in Doom64. Maybe I'm calling them by the wrong name but I swear I saw somewhere they called them Nightmare Imps, they are completely black.

Edit: ok, they're not called nightmare imps, just simply "black imps" on the Master Levels, a level called Bloodsea Keep

To make corrections:

Nightmare Demons are basically spectures but has a green shade and takes twice as much shots to kill. They appear in psxdoom

Nightmare Imps are in Doom64 which are blue/transparent version of the imp and they move faster and launches faster projectiles (also blue).

There is a flag in PSXDoom which causes a sprite to become inverted, transparent, and multiply the HP by 2.

I discovered this several months ago after hacking the PSXDoom rom I ripped myself and took a look at the MAP05 things list and searched around for the flag for the Nightmare Spectre thing at the very beginning of the level.

The AC hex number (or decimal, 172) was the flag for that THING.
So I changed the flag to something like EC and the Nightmare Spectre became a regular Spectre. I was able to try the flag on other sprites which resulted in Imps, Shotgun Guys, and Medikits to become inverted and transparent and a shy bit tougher (exclude the Medikit). You could actually just open up a sprite in an image program and invert the sprite and perhaps lower the brightness and raise the contrast.
I believe the actual Nightmare thing flag is 160.

Some others tidbits:
The common transparent thing flag is appears to be 224.
The transparent thing flag 32, is like 224, but appears brighter, MAP25 and MAP34 are a couple of levels that use this on Spectres.
The transparent flag for walls is 1024.

Oh, one other thing I found out was that PSXDoom still had the Nightmare Mode intact, though, how to play that skill I am unsure of, but how I found it was I modified DEMO1.LMP's skill level and changed it to one number higher, which resulted the game demo playing on high caffeine so to speak.

interesting. I myself been trying to hack Psxdoom, but what I am trying to figure out most is its 'Leafs' data for the maps.

I am surprised that the nightmare demon isn't actually a new 'thing' but rather a flag..

mkfanatic said:

no, I already know about the Nightmare Imps in Doom64. Maybe I'm calling them by the wrong name but I swear I saw somewhere they called them Nightmare Imps, they are completely black.

Edit: ok, they're not called nightmare imps, just simply "black imps" on the Master Levels, a level called Bloodsea Keep

Actually, they are normal imps. The special coloured lightning effects make the imp look black. If you were to somehow move the imp off the ledge (shoot it off) it will be brown again. Or noclip onto the ledge and you should turn black (your weapon), but that I'm not sure.

the doom64 tc has something like this. It is a green demon that takes about 3 ssg shots to kill, so it should be tougher than the one you're talking about.

mkfanatic said:
This demon actually has a greenish glow to it, not blue. So far, I haven't fought one with a ssg yet cuz I'm playing through Ultimate Doom but heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I came across a ssg cuz hell, there are monsters from Doom II in Ultimate Doom on the PSX.

You don't get a SSG till right near the end in a secret level (I think it's called 'the marshes') which i think is fair enough. i mean, i love how they use doom 2 monsters in doom 1 maps, but you have to save something for doom 2 right?