Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

any takers from here?

I'd front all the cash for the prizes myself if this was not an online tournament... especially if it was the real game instead of Zdaemon.
that is, assuming we had some reputable players show up... or at least sign up.

Opulent said:

I'd front all the cash for the prizes myself if this was not an online tournament... especially if it was the real game instead of Zdaemon.
that is, assuming we had some reputable players show up... or at least sign up.

As much as I respect the skills of doom2.exe players, most of them are stuck up jerks.

Ralphis said:
most of them are stuck up jerks.

Heh, you'd likely make a pretty good doom2.exe player, then.

myk said:

Heh, you'd likely make a pretty good doom2.exe player, then.

good show my lad!

AlexMax said:

Why ZDaemon and not doom2.exe? Or if you needed netplay, Chocolate Doom?

so they can easily play online.
in fairness, this was started on the Zdaemon forums, so that is their thing.

It would be OUR job to run a doom2.exe tournament. :|

Also, to be honest, you cant start a doom2.exe tournament over the internet because IPX/SPX is DEAD.

Bleh. So theres software to do it. The part of my statement about IPX/SPX being dead isnt invalidated, the protocol very much is dead, though I suppose with that software it would be possible to use doom2.exe.

HobbsTiger1 said:
Bleh. So theres software to do it. The part of my statement about IPX/SPX being dead isnt invalidated, the protocol very much is dead, though I suppose with that software it would be possible to use doom2.exe.

Not just possible; it is used.

What can be considered impediments to playing over Doom2 are the operating system, and that any tournaments have to be relatively local (West coast/East coast/Central Europe, etc.)

The first problem can be dealt with using Chocolate Doom (although it might be a bit more laggy than Doom2 at this point) and if one thinks about it the other issue should also somewhat affects any engine... playing with higher pings using client prediction is possible, but still relatively shitty.

Sounds like a pretty nifty type of tournament, yet it visibly needs a fair bit of control and order to be run.

Well, I still use IPX/SPX to play DooM, actually it's the only thing keeping me here, I rarely play, but love to. If I knew I could get doom2.exe people together I would easily run a doom2.exe tournament, it's much better than any port.

I would choose chocolate-doom over ZDaemon if it gets working in time, there are still issues with it. I would like to run it on the most VIABLE and most CORRECT thing possible, unfortunately ZDaemon is the only port that has the OS settings correct right now. Even if they can't get the movement physics perfect, the gameplay is roughly the same.