Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

retarded SNES version of Doom

There's always been one part in the Super Nintendo version I always thought was retarded as hell. On the Deimos Lab, you go through the teleporter at the beginning, go straight across up the stairs and up the lift to the area that's blocked off and you hit a switch on the wall to the right that lowers the walls. This is the part I'm talking about. I don't know how many of you have played the SNES version but they did something ass-stupid (new word?). There is no switch, you kind of have to go crazy with your use button and run around the area a switch should be in and eventually something will trigger and it will lower the wall. I always wondered about this part because the SNES version was the first Doom I ever played and the only Doom I played for a long time so I thought this was the norm. Until I finally got a copy of a better version (not sure if it was 32X or PSX). When I got to this part and actually saw a switch, I was like WTF, A SWITCH!!! Why in the world couldn't they have put a simple switch in the SNES version? It doesn't make sense to me and it will always remain retarded.

Uhh, theres no switch in vanilla doom either, its activated by walking over the area where that switched was replaced, in GBA and PSX doom.

Yeah, but that doesn't work in the SNES version either, I tried everything else. I tried hitting the "use" button on every part of the wall and just walking around does nothing. You have to run around while hitting the "use" button and eventually you'll get lucky and it will lower.

Many of the PSX Doom Levels were altered from the original PC maps, look at E2M2 on the PSX, alot of areas were deleted. While all of the SNES maps remained unmodified, except for E2M3 which has the secret exit added to it because E2M5 was omitted.

But what I'm trying to say is that it won't activate just by walking into that area you have to do some stupid, crazy, run around and hit your use button randomly until it activates. For the most part the SNES version is almost a direct port minus a few levels. It's pretty impressive considering the lack of power the SNES offers.

I lawyas thought that using a pillar with a skull lowers the bars... but whatever.

EDIT: Dman... how wrong was I! In PC version you just have to go to the left of the skull pillar. However I don't know if there is any in SNES verison.

I played it on an emulator awhile back and have read a good deal about it, and have come to the conclusion that it was one of those "just becasue you can doesn't mean you should" ideas. To me, that would be like putting Quake 4 on Playstation 2. It'd most likely be possible, but you'd have to water it down so much, and there'd be so much slowdown, that it really wouldn't be worth it.

I liked Doom on the SNES. Granted, it's not better than the PC version or other ports but I still enjoyed it. One thing about the SNES version, it's easy to kill an enemy from extremely, extremely far away with a shotgun, unlike other ports and even the PC version. It's almost like it has auto-aim but of course the SNES wouldn't have that type of function.

Raziel said:

SNES Doom in itself is retarded.

Seconded, I understand the nostalgic value for some, but for the rest of us it's just plain retarded almost on par with the retarded and buggy xbox version (of classic DOOM).

I don't think a port of a game is worth playing if it's so watered down and inferior to the original that it actually feels like a chore to play it. The PSX versions of Doom, for instance, featured a somewhat sluggish framerate, a lack of interpolation and some occassional visual glitches, but it performed competently enough that it was a very enjoyable experience (it didn't hurt that there was some really nice colored lighting, hi-fi sound effects and a brilliant soundtrack, too).

I guess this is kinda moot now, but in SNES doom at that part you don't have to hit "use" or anything like that. Just keep moving around in the corner there. It works exactly as it does in PC doom...except that it's abnormally difficult to trigger, of course... and that pillar is indeed there.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say; sure SNES doom is pointless...but it's still my favorite console version. At least they got the levels right :P

mkfanatic said:

I liked Doom on the SNES. Granted, it's not better than the PC version or other ports but I still enjoyed it. One thing about the SNES version, it's easy to kill an enemy from extremely, extremely far away with a shotgun, unlike other ports and even the PC version. It's almost like it has auto-aim but of course the SNES wouldn't have that type of function.

Actually, snes doom DOES have auto-aim. Try experimenting with this: aim at an imp with a shotgun. Next, turn so that the imp is not exactly in your aim and fire. The imp will die in one shot, even if it wasn't direct shot. It works with everything else, too.

interesting, I always assumed a game that had auto-aim also had a way to turn it off. I didn't think it just had it built in. I guess that would make sense though and would give reason to why it's so easy to kill monsters in that version.