Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

What am I doing wrong?

Three of your linedefs do not have a front sidedef (this is the killer). Also, your sectors are broken from where you deleted those lines that seperated all the sectors. If you want to turn multiple sectors into one, you need to merge them, or make them all reference the same sector (by changing the sector reference on each sidedef).

Understanding how the level format works is pretty difficult at first. Just remember that linedefs must have a front sidedef and can have up to two (front and back). Each sidedef belongs to a sector. Each sector must be enclosed with linedefs where the inner sidedefs all reference that sector. When I say "inner sidedef" I'm referring to the side of the line that faces inward. This can be either side, depending on how your line is facing (front sides have the little tick mark).

EarthQuake said:

Three of your linedefs do not have a front sidedef (this is the killer). Also, your sectors are broken from where you deleted those lines that seperated all the sectors. If you want to turn multiple sectors into one, you need to merge them, or make them all reference the same sector (by changing the sector reference on each sidedef).

Understanding how the level format works is pretty difficult at first. Just remember that linedefs must have a front sidedef and can have up to two (front and back). Each sidedef belongs to a sector. Each sector must be enclosed with linedefs where the inner sidedefs all reference that sector. When I say "inner sidedef" I'm referring to the side of the line that faces inward. This can be either side, depending on how your line is facing (front sides have the little tick mark).

Ok, zdoom doesn't seem to care about sectors - I'm just trying to make a random maze - but with doombuilder, you just can't tell it to use a wall texture as default, even though the option is there! How on earth do level designers cope with having to specify a texture for EVERY line? It must be hell!

You can select multiple linedefs and then change textures for all of the at the same time. It also goes fast doing it in 3d mode.

Try this when it comes to default textures:

Make one linedef as you want it and then, in linedef mode, select it. Go to sidedefs and tick "Set as build defaults". If that doesn't work, press F5, select Defaults and then choose the texture you want as default.

Da Spadger said:

You can select multiple linedefs and then change textures for all of the at the same time. It also goes fast doing it in 3d mode.

Try this when it comes to default textures:

Make one linedef as you want it and then, in linedef mode, select it. Go to sidedefs and tick "Set as build defaults". If that doesn't work, press F5, select Defaults and then choose the texture you want as default.

Ok, I don't seem to be having any problems now, but drawing lines is a pain - being a maze, I just want both sides parelell, e.g drawing 2 lines at once - but I guess there isn't any option for that?

Quite simply, this huge maza I'm making is meant to be a road - a sort of driving TC for doom. Set the wall textures as custom scenery, the floor as a 2 lane road, and I'm set. No other games have tens/hundreds of miles of road (actually a simulator that would randomly generate the road ahead would be nice). San andreas - I already know the roads for that - actually, that makes building a map a bit sucky - you've made it yourself, no suprises. Any takers for making a map? :D

invictius said:

Ok, zdoom doesn't seem to care about sectors

Just because ZDoom will tolerate most errors, does not mean that they are justified. It is bad practice to leave errors in your map at all. If you start figuring out what you can and cannot do with your editor now, it will save you huge problems in the future.

EarthQuake said:

Just because ZDoom will tolerate most errors, does not mean that they are justified. It is bad practice to leave errors in your map at all. If you start figuring out what you can and cannot do with your editor now, it will save you huge problems in the future.

I seem to have zdoom refuse to load the map, if I edit it a second time, in any case... at one stage, I was told I had no vertices - 1) there were 2 in there, 2)it didn't complain about vertices when I had none...