Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

What are ID Software up to next?

They've done Doom 3, Quake 4 is out (although not done by ID I understand)... Is there any info anywhere on what ID are moving on with?

So the real question is... what's Carmack's next engine, if any?

Because that's when they really make a game (otherwise they have somebody else do it on their behalf, based on an existing id engine.)

To save me making another thread - Does anyone know if John Romero made anymore Doom maps that got released? I read that he still plays Doom...

KennyJC said:
To save me making another thread - Does anyone know if John Romero made anymore Doom maps that got released? I read that he still plays Doom...

No, the last DOOM maps he released were E4M2 and E4M6 for The Ultimate DOOM.

Damn, I'm sure I read somewhere he was planning to do an episode and release it. He obviously didn't do it.

The RPG has been released. Next up on the agenda is (apparently) Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, which John Carmack has a sizeable role in (I recall in an interview, he was talking about how much more advanced he had to make the Doom 3 engine - stuff about megatextures and terrain mapping).

Maybe id will declare bankruptcy and all their old games will become freeware and the community will build and live strong forever. Of course Activision will buy all the rights to all their games of course.

Carmack is currently working on an expanded Doom 3 engine which features accurate light depiction, with correct light coronas with penumbras and such, and not just a blurred edge hack to the lighting system. I believe it's called Doom 3 Extended Technology or something, and as Wild Weasel pointed out they introduced the megatexture technology to create expansive outdoor environments.

Hollenshead said in an interview (sorry can't find it right now to quote) but he basically said Doom RPG was what they considered a Doom 4.

Actually from what I read, was that Carmack said he laid the groundwork for Megatextures, but that it was splash damage that developed it into what it is today.

I might have misunderstood that though.

Scuba Steve said:

Carmack is currently working on an expanded Doom 3 engine which features accurate light depiction, with correct light coronas with penumbras and such, and not just a blurred edge hack to the lighting system. I believe it's called Doom 3 Extended Technology or something, and as Wild Weasel pointed out they introduced the megatexture technology to create expansive outdoor environments.

And this technology is being made for Quake Wars.

A bit off topic, does anybody know what's after model based characters/decorations? I mean the polycount is turning higher and higher, but what's after that, is there anything that surpass this technique? Some may say holograms, but that are sprites or polygons except that they're out of the screen (well this could be the "after", but what's after this?)

I'd like someone to design an FPS that isn't scripted and genuinely feels like a living world you can interact with.

I will probably be waiting a long time for this though.

yeah, seems like there aren't any super-nonlinear first person shooters these days...any days really. every time I play oblivion I wish I could shoot people with shotguns. Perhaps an epic outdoor battle with my chaingun versus 64 skeletons. of course, graphics engines are so fancy that nobody would get it to run well.

WildWeasel said:
Next up on the agenda is (apparently) Enemy Territory: Quake Wars,

By what's available on the page it seems like something Carmack would like (the FPS as a sport-like thing), and is kind of comparable to what DOOM 3 was to DOOM, but in a possibly better way, working with what was strongest in Quake, its multiplayer, while using the more solid Quake 2 story background.

BlackFish said:

And this technology is being made for Quake Wars.

No. Only megatextures... the expanded light performance is not. Only the New Wolfenstein game for 360 and the new id game are purported to be using them.

Vegeta said:
A bit off topic, does anybody know what's after model based characters/decorations? I mean the polycount is turning higher and higher, but what's after that, is there anything that surpass this technique?

I thought about this a bit, and I think polycount will go so high that there won't be a point in using 2d textures on polygons anymore for models; just solid colors.