Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LexiMax

CTF Standard: Other Source Ports?

Really, this topic could go in either Multiplayer or Source Ports, but I thought that it might get a nice reception here.

Durring my stay at ZDaemon, I really pushed for something called the CTF standard. This was a result of me seeing port-specific maps done for specific ports, and not wanting to perpetuate it any further. Finally, the CTF standard was implemented. As it stands today, both ZDaemon 1.08 and Skulltag .96 can run "CTF Standard" maps.

The standard is as follows:

Thing 5080 = Blue Start
Thing 5081 = Red Start
Thing 5130 = Blue Flag
Thing 5131 = Red Flag
Thing 5132 = White Flag (For use in 1 flag CTF)

As you can see, it's quite simple. The only 'gotcha' is that in order to be compatable with Skulltag, there may be no 1 Player or Deathmatch starts in the map.

The CTF standard, to me, represents co-operation between ports, an important start of a standard. However, a standard is nothing without participation.

My question, then, is if there has been any interest from other ports in implimenting CTF. Or perhaps interest from their players. I remember someone showed me an abanoned CTF project for Legacy a while back, but I can't find any information for the life of me. With the coming of Boom CTF, compatability with ZDoom features should not be a problem for much longer. But should I even bother with Boom compatability, seeing as all the major multiplayer ports are ZDoom based?

AlexMax said:

The only 'gotcha' is that in order to be compatable with Skulltag, there may be no 1 Player or Deathmatch starts in the map.

I suggest skulltag fixes itself then, and everyone else carries on as normal. I can see it being very useful to have an SP1 start for development, annoying to have to remove it for release, and useful to have a dual-purpose map (and therefore having DM starts).

AlexMax said:

I remember someone showed me an abanoned CTF project for Legacy a while back, but I can't find any information for the life of me.

I can't remember the name of it, but it was originally for vanilla doom, used keys for the flags, needed to be played in coop mode so you didn't start with all "flags". Gokuma inherited it and made some legacy-specific stuff. Legacy itself never supported a proper CTF mode of play as far as I recall.