Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

A few prboom+/glboom questions

Idon't know how I did it, but I was playing a demo, was alt-tabbing, and suddenly I was in spectator mode! How do I do this? Also, how do I invert the mouse's vertical axis?

You accidentally turned on walkcam by the sound of it. Pressing Alt cycles through normal view, chasecam (though you're not actually behind the player in that case) and walkcam. See the documentation.

To invert mouse via the in-game menus:
Options - SetUp - Status Bar/HUD - (second screen) - invert mouse

By editing the cfg (using, e.g.. Notepad):
Find "movement_mouseinvert" and change the value from 0 to 1.

Actually, it seems most people find GLBoom more stable than PrBoom, for some reason. I've never had any problems with either engine.

Well, this will depend on your graphics card. I've never had any problems, and don't recall hearing about other problems from users with good OpenGL support.

You could try changing the resolution by editing the cfg before trying to run it again. Perhaps it is trying to use a setting your screen can't cope with. But that's just a random guess, and I have never know it to give a BSOD under any circumstances (on an old notebook without GL support, it simply doesn't start up). Or maybe other things on your system that are causing a problem.

[BTW, it would be useful if you clarified exactly which version you are using (and in general, when reporting a problem, to give as much relevant detail as possible). I'll assume, based on your other recent posts, that you mean the glboom.exe included as part of the current prboom+.]

Grazza said:

To invert mouse via the in-game menus:
Options - SetUp - Status Bar/HUD - (second screen) - invert mouse

By editing the cfg (using, e.g.. Notepad):
Find "movement_mouseinvert" and change the value from 0 to 1.

That option isn't in HUD for me, or in notepad, neither can I use mlook in prboom, only glboom :S

EDIT: Looked at readme, mbf, and boom - no mention of invert either.

mlook (and inverting mlook) are GL-only features (this is stated in usage.txt in the prboom+ documentation).

Grazza said:

mlook (and inverting mlook) are GL-only features (this is stated in usage.txt in the prboom+ documentation).

Gah, it would be just the client that causes my pc to crash...

1) where do I get the detail textures from?

2) I've had major stability problems (BSOD, windows said a piece of hardware failed once, no BSOD this time, just a blank 640x480 screen with cursor that I couldn't do anything with) with glboom, but it might be because I'm just using it in a window to play back demos, and alt+tabbing. Could that be the cause of my instability?

entryway said:

Hence it's a problem of your hardware/drivers because BSOD cannot arise from user mode

Hmm... haven't had this problem in any other games, but with zdoom, I hear a hissing noise when I run into a wall - serious!

Try these steps:

1) glboom.exe -geom 640x480 -nofullscreen -iwad doom2.wad -timedemo 30uv1437.lmp -nodraw
2) glboom.exe -geom 640x480 -nofullscreen -iwad doom2.wad -timedemo 30uv1437.lmp -nosound

Do you have crashes in both cases?

invictius said:

1) where do I get the detail textures from?

You don't. The "detail texture" is included within the program, and is used (GL only, and if you enable it) to create "roughness" rather than blur on textures that you are close to. See the images at the bottom of this page.

And please don't start a new thread just because a question hasn't been answered as quickly as you might like.